Great Mills Schools?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathamatics. STEM

A euphemism for once was ordinarily taught in schools under normal curriculum before the invention of the relatively resent dumbing down and catering to the lowest common demonstrator student. Now there is STEM making everyone go la-la like it's something new and beneficial when in actuality it is nothing more than old school teachings. That along with those so called AP courses. Another BS education system invention designed to make up for those bored children that want to achieve and mask the failing public school system. Was once a time when all one needed was an eighth grade education to take on the world. An eight grader then would put a graduating twelfth grader today to shame. If our public education system was so grand, then why is it that over 55% of those that go on to college or university need remedial classes in English, reading comprehension, and math, just to be able to catch up to higher education levels? Those that can and are able, home school your children. If you can afford it, send your children to a private school. Do not trust the government public education/indoctrination system to properly educate your children.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't recall seeing trailers at Chopticon...

Well, trailers are usually to be seen at virtually any of the lower schools, as you need to show X amount of overload to trigger the funding to add capacity or build more schools. Both of my kids also attended Spring Ridge prior to going to GMHS and got a decent education and didnt have any issues. So much of this is what you put into it as a parent. And I dont mean being the schools biggest booster. You dont need to be all up in the PTSA, or making crap for every bake sale, or take on selling all the schlock they make kids sell. I mean supplementing your kids education and reinforcing to them that it matters and why. No gauruntees in any case, ask that kid who got gang stomped at Leonardtown, bad stuff can happen anywhere. Live where you want, the focus on good school/baed school is overrated, focus on good kid.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So much of this is what you put into it as a parent. And I dont mean being the schools biggest booster. You dont need to be all up in the PTSA, or making crap for every bake sale, or take on selling all the schlock they make kids sell. I mean supplementing your kids education and reinforcing to them that it matters and why.

We couldn't have been more directly and indirectly involved if we'd tried. The issues that resulted in removing our son from Spring Ridge were those the school refused to face and therefore effectively deal with. Without any cooperation or effort on their part, we bailed. Cost me a couple years worth of private school until he was HS age and returned to county school.

Aside from Spring Ridge, my kids (3 mine directly..2 step kids) did OK or even excelled in all the other county schools they attended.

glhs837

Power with Control
We couldn't have been more directly and indirectly involved if we'd tried. The issues that resulted in removing our son from Spring Ridge were those the school refused to face and therefore effectively deal with. Without any cooperation or effort on their part, we bailed. Cost me a couple years worth of private school until he was HS age and returned to county school.

Aside from Spring Ridge, my kids (3 mine directly..2 step kids) did OK or even excelled in all the other county schools they attended.

Oh, I'm not saying ir your kids has problems it's becuase you were not in there. I did say that bad things could happen. But they could happen anywhere. And a school administration that plays those games could happen anywhere.

black dog

Free America
Well, trailers are usually to be seen at virtually any of the lower schools, as you need to show X amount of overload to trigger the funding to add capacity or build more schools. Both of my kids also attended Spring Ridge prior to going to GMHS and got a decent education and didnt have any issues. So much of this is what you put into it as a parent. And I dont mean being the schools biggest booster. You dont need to be all up in the PTSA, or making crap for every bake sale, or take on selling all the schlock they make kids sell. I mean supplementing your kids education and reinforcing to them that it matters and why. No gauruntees in any case, ask that kid who got gang stomped at Leonardtown, bad stuff can happen anywhere. Live where you want, the focus on good school/baed school is overrated, focus on good kid.

We never joined or went to any PTA meetings through out my son's education in St Marys, He attended Dent, Brent and Chopticon. We both spent time almost every night working with him with the things that the school system glazed over. Things like all of the math tables, cursive, extra reading and so on.
It was time well spent.

glhs837

Power with Control
We never joined or went to any PTA meetings through out my son's education in St Marys, He attended Dent, Brent and Chopticon. We both spent time almost every night working with him with the things that the school system glazed over. Things like all of the math tables, cursive, extra reading and so on.
It was time well spent.

I was part of LPES's PTSA for the first year my daughter was there. Realized it wasnt there to really help the school be better, but more of a fundraising volunteer force. After that is was like you, making sure we filled in the gaps.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh, I'm not saying ir your kids has problems it's becuase you were not in there. I did say that bad things could happen. But they could happen anywhere. And a school administration that plays those games could happen anywhere.

Yeabutt...Spring Ridge's "extra special" reputation preceded my son's attendance...and continues long after. ;-)

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeabutt...Spring Ridge's "extra special" reputation preceded my son's attendance...and continues long after. ;-)

Well, of course, same as LPES and GMHS. Mostly promugated by folks who have never had a child attend these schools. And largely caused by the "OMG, the colored kids all go there!!!!!" vibe.

awpitt

Main Streeter
My wife and I along with our 1.5 year old daughter just moved to the area from Alabama (originally from upstate NY). We are in an apartment complex in Lexington Park while we wait on our house to be built. Our house will be in Lexington Park as well, but a few miles off of Great Mills Rd. It's in a new sub division around a few other newer subdivisions. My question is how bad are the area schools? Sounds like Great Mills HS is rough, but what about the elementary and middle schools? We are seriously contemplating pulling out of our contract and getting something in a better area. Is it bad enough where we should really think about that? Could be move to another district when our daughter goes into high school and be ok? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

It's hard to say without knowing where your house is being built. I can say that a lot of the negative comments you'll hear about GMHS are basically B.S. Both of my sons went there and there were minimal problems. At least nothing that hasn't occurred at the other two high schools. It all boils down to how involved in your child's education do you plan on being? I was always involved with the PTSAs at all levels also with Booster organizations at the high school level. Key is getting to know the teachers on a personal level. BTW, the GMHS Hornet Marching Band are the current MD state champions. Second time in five years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's hard to say without knowing where your house is being built. I can say that a lot of the negative comments you'll hear about GMHS are basically B.S. Both of my sons went there and there were minimal problems. At least nothing that hasn't occurred at the other two high schools. It all boils down to how involved in your child's education do you plan on being? I was always involved with the PTSAs at all levels also with Booster organizations at the high school level. Key is getting to know the teachers on a personal level. BTW, the GMHS Hornet Marching Band are the current MD state champions. Second time in five years.

Two of mine graduated from GMHS and three from Leonardtown. Had a good rapport with teachers and administrators for the most part at both schools.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
...and that is key. Get to know the people.

I had some very candid and frank "off line and confidential" discussions with a couple of older and experienced teachers at Spring Ridge; they were utterly frustrated and demoralized by the situation there and their inability to do anything to mend it. That was when we made the decision to pull the boy out.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I had some very candid and frank "off line and confidential" discussions with a couple of older and experienced teachers at Spring Ridge; they were utterly frustrated and demoralized by the situation there and their inability to do anything to mend it. That was when we made the decision to pull the boy out.

I can't speak for Spring Ridge. My kids went to Greenview Knolls, Esperanza, and Great Mills.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can't speak for Spring Ridge. My kids went to Greenview Knolls, Esperanza, and Great Mills.

Fortunately so did all the rest of mine..only the one ended up at SR. As I mentioned before..three went to LHS and two to GMHS too....gotta love the regular St. Mary's "school district shuffle"..or not.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Fortunately so did all the rest of mine..only the one ended up at SR. As I mentioned before..three went to LHS and two to GMHS too....gotta love the regular St. Mary's "school district shuffle"..or not.

The odd thing about Esperanza is that it feeds into both GMHS and LHS.

black dog

Free America

Mine was slated to go to Leonardtown HS, we put him in AFJROTC and that put him in Chopticon where we wanted him to be. A few phone calls and poof a new bus stop was added at the elementary school a few blocks from his mother's home. He drove the last two years, so when he had CNC class in Leonardtown he wasn't going to Chopticon then Leonardtown then Chopticon and then back to Leonardtown and then to work..