Great Mills Schools?

PeoplesElbow

Oh yea, there is redistricting. By the time your one and a half year old is of age chances are there has been atleast one redistricting and worrying about that now could turn out to be a waste of time.

Where I am from each town has a school, you go to the school in your town, was weird when I moved here.

black dog

Free America
Oh yea, there is redistricting. By the time your one and a half year old is of age chances are there has been atleast one redistricting and worrying about that now could turn out to be a waste of time.

Where I am from each town has a school, you go to the school in your town, was weird when I moved here.

We have a HS at the North end of the county I live in. It serves the North end of my county ( Madison ) and the south end of the county above us ( Grant )
Ironic that it's called Madison Grant HS..
Here if you need live in the city limits ( pop 4,900 ) but outside of the city limits you go to the county schools.

littlelady

God bless the USA

That is true. My children are 2 1/2 years apart. Dot went to Patuxent HS, and because of rezoning, son went Calvert HS.

And, back in the day, when a 4th high school in Calvert was being discussed, there was a site in St. Leonard being considered, which didn’t happen. It made sense as far as the dispersement of the high schools, but Huntingtown won out. Very close to Northern HS. Oh well, it is history now, but it was sad that my children didn’t get to attend the same high school.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Look like Park Hill Elementary and Spring Ridge Middle School. Any feedback on those?

My daughter went to Park Hall, and it was good then. She also went to Spring Ridge and Great Mills High, both of which I wouldn't seen my worst enemies children to.
cha-ching. Just my 2 cents.

awpitt

Main Streeter
No, just a $1,000 deposit on our house that we're building.

Don't let the "Lexington Park" stigma scare you. Most people don't even understand that Lexington Park extends from close to Wildewood all the way down almost to St. Mary's City. A lot of people are under the false assumption that Lexington Park is synonymous with Great Mills road.

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't let the "Lexington Park" stigma scare you. Most people don't even understand that Lexington Park extends from close to Wildewood all the way down almost to St. Mary's City. A lot of people are under the false assumption that Lexington Park is synonymous with Great Mills road.

This is interesting. I type "Lexington Park" into either Google or Bing Maps and I get this......

https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH2

For those who it doesnt work for, it shows what most folks think of as "Lexington Park". But here's the odd thing. If you type in the zip code for Lexington Park, 20653, you get this......

https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH2

I never knew it broke out that way.

officeguy

No, just a $1,000 deposit on our house that we're building.

I suggest to look around and decide whether it really has to be somewhere in the LP zip code. While the 'trouble' seems to remain limited to some of the close-in neighborhoods around Great Mills road, still the headlines will always say 'Man shot in Lexington Park'. Other zip codes around here don't have the same problem. Building a new home is a big investment and being stuck with it due to the bad name of the zip code it is located in would be a real drag.

awpitt

Main Streeter
This is the 20653 (Lexington Park) zip code. As you can see, it extends from Rt. 4 heading to Solomons all the why down to Dameron.

20653.jpg

Potomac

The Lexington Park post office delivers mail down those areas, including St. Mary's City, parts of Dameron etc - which is why it shows it encompassing that area. Live here long enough & you learn they are quite different areas in standards of life style (real estate prices) ETC

If I were only going to be here a defined period of time & had to worry about re-sale value (appeal of certain school districts to potential buyer) I would look at areas in the Leonardtown school district. Generally speaking, I don't think you can go too wrong there.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
FWIW, my son graduated GMHS in 2006. He's doing fine in his adult life. He got out of college in 4 years with no real academic struggles. YMMV

3CATSAILOR

My wife and I along with our 1.5 year old daughter just moved to the area from Alabama (originally from upstate NY). We are in an apartment complex in Lexington Park while we wait on our house to be built. Our house will be in Lexington Park as well, but a few miles off of Great Mills Rd. It's in a new sub division around a few other newer subdivisions. My question is how bad are the area schools? Sounds like Great Mills HS is rough, but what about the elementary and middle schools? We are seriously contemplating pulling out of our contract and getting something in a better area. Is it bad enough where we should really think about that? Could be move to another district when our daughter goes into high school and be ok? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

I used to teach in the schools and I have been a member of the Safety and Security Committee. Any school can be good and any can be bad. It is true the recent shooting at GMHS was "isolated'. HOWEVER, all of the elements and more still exist at not only this school but all of the Middle and High Schools for a similar incident. Based on my observation, it is my belief that the Board of Education does not want to admit that the problems they should concentrate on are more internal than external. Until they they address the issue with answers with substance, nothing will change. For example, they installed extensive bullet proof glass at the entrances to the schools to address an EXTERNAL threat. Yet, the Great Mills and most of the other schooling shooting in the U.S. are from INTERNAL threats. The good news is the teachers are outstanding at each school. And they really do care about the kids. The Board of Education hasn't opened its eyes yet. They will one day. Probably after our legislators pass a new law that they don't want to do.

Last edited: