Gun Control Middle Ground. Possible?

PsyOps

Pixelated
And like I have stated for the FIFTH time.

"What right would be taken away?"

I am talking about the use of the word 'infringe' and whether or not that should be discussed. Kinda like other modern advancements we have made with the Constitution.

How come there isn't this much defense of the 1st? There are limits to that but I don't hear or see people insulting or screaming about it.

It is with the 1st, all the time. When calls are made to close down websites or traffic from terrorist groups, folks start crying this is a slippery slope. Religion? This has been a battle for decades now where prayer, or any mention of God, is shut down in our schools and other public places.

But, we can take this to the extreme with your argument. They could ban the sale of every firearm in existence except BB guns, and you could argue that our 2A rights are still intact. The clause "shall not be infringed..." is key in that amendment. In no way shall our right to keep and bear be obstructed by government. Patrick Henry said "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." The word "able" could be implied that keeping and bearing be limited to those that are mentally able to handle their firearms without inflicting undue harm on someone else. But he was clear that "every man" be armed.

We've come to accept certain limitations - like background checks, registration, etc... - in an attempt to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous people. It has largely failed.

As to the number of firearms one should be allowed to own...? There isn't, and there shouldn't be, some magic number that would make a person less likely to commit murder if they were limited to a certain number of guns. I am no more likely to commit murder with 20 guns than I am with one. "Shall not be infringed..." doesn't imply a limit on any part of gun ownership, to include the number or type. Tench Coxe said: "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American … the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” I can easily interpret this as saying that we, the people, are to be just as well-armed as our military. And I do. I believe it was the intent of our founders for the people to have this power-in-arms over the military or government. We have allowed the opposite, and exist in a very precarious place.

Sapidus

It is with the 1st, all the time. When calls are made to close down websites or traffic from terrorist groups, folks start crying this is a slippery slope. Religion? This has been a battle for decades now where prayer, or any mention of God, is shut down in our schools and other public places.

But, we can take this to the extreme with your argument. They could ban the sale of every firearm in existence except BB guns, and you could argue that our 2A rights are still intact. The clause "shall not be infringed..." is key in that amendment. In no way shall our right to keep and bear be obstructed by government. Patrick Henry said "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." The word "able" could be implied that keeping and bearing be limited to those that are mentally able to handle their firearms without inflicting undue harm on someone else. But he was clear that "every man" be armed.

We've come to accept certain limitations - like background checks, registration, etc... - in an attempt to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous people. It has largely failed.

As to the number of firearms one should be allowed to own...? There isn't, and there shouldn't be, some magic number that would make a person less likely to commit murder if they were limited to a certain number of guns. I am no more likely to commit murder with 20 guns than I am with one. "Shall not be infringed..." doesn't imply a limit on any part of gun ownership, to include the number or type. Tench Coxe said: "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American … the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” I can easily interpret this as saying that we, the people, are to be just as well-armed as our military. And I do. I believe it was the intent of our founders for the people to have this power-in-arms over the military or government. We have allowed the opposite, and exist in a very precarious place.

Seems pretty reasonable that if you don't have prayer in schools to allow everyone freedom of religion you might not want to allow guns in school to allow everyone freedom of not being gunned down.

You can use whatever semantics you want to try to justify it but at the end of the day you are saying your right to own as many guns as you want with no restrictions is more important then the safety and lives of children at school, people at concerts, malls and movie theaters.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Seems pretty reasonable that if you don't have prayer in schools to allow everyone freedom of religion you might not want to allow guns in school to allow everyone freedom of not being gunned down.

You can use whatever semantics you want to try to justify it but at the end of the day you are saying your right to own as many guns as you want with no restrictions is more important then the safety and lives of children at school, people at concerts, malls and movie theaters.

You caught us, we've had this secret pact for years on how we were going kill all of the kids. We didn't think this was the part that you were going to catch on to though. I mean we take out more of them with cell phones and peanuts, but damned if you didn't catch the one that takes out less than a tenth of one percent. We'll give up now and bury all of our guns.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

The only one saying that is you. What I think most are saying (dare I speak for the many) is that there are some sick, evil, damaged people out there that will commit these heinous acts and nothing can be done to stop them beyond having an armed presence to halt an attack as soon as possible after it starts. That those that use a weapon unjustly against others should be confined or eliminated from our society, but we should not further curtail the freedoms of those that have not performed theses horrible acts.

PsyOps

Pixelated

See, you're doing just what I thought the left does... the more firearms I own, the more dangerous I become. My right to own firearms is more important than the safety of our kids because I won't use my firearm to harm kids; I will use it to protect them. Their safety is ensured when people like me are armed in schools, malls, movie theaters, etc... THAT'S where you get this all wrong. You have deemed us all dangerous because of an extreme few; therefore none of us can be trusted with firearms. You believe that when you can take my firearms away, you've created a safer world, when it's been proven over and over again that just the opposite is true. And this is proven with one question:

Where do all of these mass shootings happen?

Last edited:

black dog

Free America

You can use whatever semantics you want to try to justify it but at the end of the day you are saying your right to own as many guns as you want with no restrictions is more important then the safety and lives of children at school, people at concerts, malls and movie theaters.[/QUOTE]

I would bet that if you were ever in the situation like you posted and a crazy started shooting folks and the person sitting next to you pulled out a handgun and starting sending lead back at the crazy, You would happy that a armed citizen most likely saved many lives right then including yours.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I would bet that if you were ever in the situation like you posted and a crazy started shooting folks and the person sitting next to you pulled out a handgun and starting sending lead back at the crazy, You would happy that a armed citizen most likely saved many lives right then including yours.
If the guy sitting next to him knows him, he may very well be the one to shoot Sappy.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... at the end of the day you are saying your right to own as many guns as you want with no restrictions is more important then the safety and lives of children at school, people at concerts, malls and movie theaters.

yeah that's it we want children to die ... you got us I am concerned with the Security the Country

... Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

NO Promise of Safety ...
Citizens were expected to provide their own and 98 % of all mass shootings take place in Gun Free Zones, your kind have disarmed us and left us 2 options

1) break the law and be armed
2) cower in the corner to die

Sapidus

The only one saying that is you. What I think most are saying (dare I speak for the many) is that there are some sick, evil, damaged people out there that will commit these heinous acts and nothing can be done to stop them beyond having an armed presence to halt an attack as soon as possible after it starts. That those that use a weapon unjustly against others should be confined or eliminated from our society, but we should not further curtail the freedoms of those that have not performed theses horrible acts.

I know another thing that would stop them with much fewer casualties.

Remove the weapon.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

Remove the weapon.

So you, unarmed are going to remove a weapon from a shooter.....I think not.
If you mean remove all weapons from society.....I think not.

You just can’t fix stupid......

SamSpade

Remove the weapon.

So to protect movie goers - you would have - a sign - that says - Don't Bring a Gun in Here - Pretty Please?
And THAT way, you can be safe knowing that a crazed person who might bring one in will be thus thwarted from shooting unarmed innocent people.

We ALREADY don't allow guns in schools and it hasn't stopped people at all.
Would you guess what HAS stopped them?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Remove the weapon.

There is only one country on this planet where institutions, businesses, groups and the public are prohibited from possessing firearms. And you want us to be just like them. Any guess on where that is?

I bet you sport the same haircut too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So to protect movie goers - you would have - a sign - that says - Don't Bring a Gun in Here - Pretty Please?
And THAT way, you can be safe knowing that a crazed person who might bring one in will be thus thwarted from shooting unarmed innocent people.

"Well damn it! Now I can't go in and murder a whole bunch of people. Freaking sign says no guns allowed. :kicksrocks:"

black dog

Free America
There is only one country on this planet where institutions, businesses, groups and the public are prohibited from possessing firearms. And you want us to be just like them. Any guess on where that is?

I bet you sport the same haircut too.

Hummmmmmmmmmm.... Sapi'land