Help needed from dog people

frequentflier

happy to be living
Hubby just got back from Colorado. A track between Denver and Loveland just closed down. Lots of Greyhounds are now up fro adoption from that track. My Mother in laws neighbor took in 5 of them.

Most people that have Greyhounds have more than one. And I have only met ONE person that said "I USED to have a Greyhound." My best friend introduced me to them and I wish I could have a couple or three!

camily

Peace
Adopt a Greyhound. They are already crate trained, most are very patient dogs. They never get to excited about anything.....unless they see a rabbit.
Most greyhounds don't bark alot.

:yay: This was going to be my suggestion as well.
They are the cats of dogs. :lmao: Except they like people.

greyhound

Most people that have Greyhounds have more than one. And I have only met ONE person that said "I USED to have a Greyhound." My best friend introduced me to them and I wish I could have a couple or three!

I have two....

They are old guys.

Attachments

• doggie1.jpg
    doggie1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 59
  • doggie2.jpg
    doggie2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 52

greyhound

AWWW. They are handsome.
I still get goosebumps when I remember the first time I experienced a *roo*

I thought he was growling at me the first time he made that noise. But I noticed the whip (tail) flying back and forth....oh, have you seen a greyhound smile. They are only one of a few breeds of dog that smile when they are happy.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I found the Calvert Animal Welfare League was MUCH easier to adopt from than St. Mary's. We adopted a yellow lab/pitt mix. Has no pitt tendencies and is the sweetest dog. She was 8 when we adopted her. Consider an older dog!

Cowgirl

How about a greyhound? They're pretty laid back. They're already crate trained, leash trained, and usually have very good manners. They might need a little work with using stairs or teaching them to go potty outside (if they're straight off the track). They're super easy to housetrain though, and most automatically get it. If they've been in a foster home for a while, they're probably already trained.

Some are shy, but you can get an outgoing one that's not timid around the kids. Most are fine with other animals. They're not hyper at all. They are great apartment dogs, and don't need a heck of a lot of exercise to be happy.

:tap: I guess I was on mute.

:lol:

frozenrain

I am drawn to Pugs. Mine is VERY mild natured. Does fine in the house without a cage. She is 8. Went to the bathroom in the house once, and she climbed over in the bathtub to do that. :lmao:

We wanted a smaller dog because my EX wanted to do daycare. PUGS were beefy enough to stand up to kids well, and not be threatening to the children. If the kids got to rough she would simply go to her bed and that was off limits for the kids.

She is low maintenance. She'll go sit by the front door if she needs to go out. I can let her out, she'll do her stuff then come straight back to the front door and sit there with her nose on the glass looking in making a little fogged up spot.

She is the third I have had. Will never consider another breed.

Yes pugs are sweet.Bathed a few years back(worked in a grooming salon once). All the ones I met were very placid and had gorgeous eyes.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Or a Goldendoodle (Had to chime in Nanny :razz:). All the qualities of the Golden without the shedding.

I also know of 2 Labradoodles being fostered now in Fairfax. PM me and I'll give you more details on them if you want.

How cute!!:smoochy:

pointfarm

I love bird dogs, pointers in particular. Very sweet natured, strong desire to please, train, obedient (mostly). Something to consider is size. If you have to pick the dog up (for whatever reason) can you? I had a pointer hound mix that was too heavy for me to lift, which was a problem. Also, smaller dogs may not be able to knock over the 4-yr old.
Good luck, you'll never find a better friend!

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
I love bird dogs, pointers in particular. Very sweet natured, strong desire to please, train, obedient (mostly). Something to consider is size. If you have to pick the dog up (for whatever reason) can you? I had a pointer hound mix that was too heavy for me to lift, which was a problem. Also, smaller dogs may not be able to knock over the 4-yr old.
Good luck, you'll never find a better friend!

I am not so concerned about a dog knocking the 4 yo over, I am more concerned about him knocking the dog over! :lmao::lmao: He is big for his age and he is like a bull in a china closet. When we visited the SPCA earlier this week, one of the workers was kind enough to take him in one of the cat rooms (I am allergic to most cats) and he was in love, but it was like a chinese fire drill watching him and the cast chase each other. He accidently stepped on one cats tail and he kept trying to pick the 6 mo old kitten up but couldn't quite get the hold right. The SPCA worker was so patient with him. He was in ther 15 minutes or more and didn't want to leave.

I am not so concerned about a dog knocking the 4 yo over, I am more concerned about him knocking the dog over! :lmao::lmao: He is big for his age and he is like a bull in a china closet. When we visited the SPCA earlier this week, one of the workers was kind enough to take him in one of the cat rooms (I am allergic to most cats) and he was in love, but it was like a chinese fire drill watching him and the cast chase each other. He accidently stepped on one cats tail and he kept trying to pick the 6 mo old kitten up but couldn't quite get the hold right. The SPCA worker was so patient with him. He was in ther 15 minutes or more and didn't want to leave.

Some of the best dogs are mixed breed. Had a lab/irish setter mix that was great. A beagle/shepard? mix that was the smartest dog I've ever seen. Current dog is a lab/? mix that is very nice. All were great with kids. None liked other dogs much, but didn't fight or anything. Find one that seems right.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Some of the best dogs are mixed breed. Had a lab/irish setter mix that was great. A beagle/shepard? mix that was the smartest dog I've ever seen. Current dog is a lab/? mix that is very nice. All were great with kids. None liked other dogs much, but didn't fight or anything. Find one that seems right.

One good thing about adopting from a local rescue is that the animals have been fostered in someone's home and/or have spent a lot of time with caregivers. They can tell you the dogs temperment, how he is with kids, other dogs, cats, barking etc. No rescue that I know of will place an animal in a home they think is not right for both the family and the dog.

Last edited:

Sadysue

Your gonna want to get a dog that will fit your life style. Is your life style laid back or active. If it is laid back and you don't do much outside and its just your kids outside you may want to stay away from active breeds such as labs, shepherds, boxers can tend to be very active. When dogs that need a "job" or exercise get bored they get into trouble. They chew, claw, tear things up and bark. This could be the reason they ended up at the shelter.

Take your time in choosing the type and personality of the dog. Choose by temper and disposition and not by the "looks" of the dog. Most of the time the dog picks the family. As the rescue if you can "Foster to Adopt". This gives you a chance to have the dog in your house and see how everyone responds to the "new member".

Good Luck and have fun with your new friend.

:yeahthat:

I think getting a dog that suits your lifestyle is the most important. If you get a really active dog like a pit bull, the dog will drive you up the wall if it doesn't get enough exercise and training. Also, you really need to think about the grooming responsibilities if you get a long haired dog that does not shed. I also recommend you look at the animal shelters vs. buying a pure bred. In my experience mutts are the healthiest and best mannered. We once had a german shepard mix that had an awesome temper, laid back and did great with kids. We recently brought home a Fila. He has an awesome temperament and can really take a beating with kids, but weighing 130 lbs, he is expensive to feed and when he chews on something.... it's destroyed.