Hermit Crabs

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
nomoney said:
you should let him know that the crab died though instead of hiding it from him. It teaches him about life etc.

:yeahthat:

When our grandaughter's first one died, our son was at the beach at the time. So our daughter asked him to bring home another one. Dang thing died the same day..we were all at my parents for a cookout the day he brought the crab home and gave it to her there. My granddaughter didn't seem that upset. When we asked her why, she replied "well, I didn't know him that long."

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
nomoney said:
you should let him know that the crab died though instead of hiding it from him. It teaches him about life etc.

I don't think I have a choice with this one since I pitched the shell. :bawl:

nomoney

pixiegirl said:
I don't think I have a choice with this one since I pitched the shell. :bawl:

he'll be stronger about it then you'll give him credit for, believe me. And it will only make him stronger and better able to handle the next death that will occur be it a family member or another pet. One that you won't be able to hide as well.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Pix -- they often lose legs due to stress. They get stressed so easy sometimes. Some are more nervous than others. A hermit crab with a complex? :lmao: Anyway, just keep trying. If you keep getting "bad" crabs from Petco, try Corner Critters in Leonardtown, they have them too.

Good luck! When my little one wanted a fish tank, I had no idea the work involved. I ended up killing 4 fish before I got it right. She was sad and upset, but she got through it. (Daddy did "fishy" funerals with her). Now she's got a tank with 5 fish who are doing great. Kids are SO much more resiliant than we give them credit for. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
T
I should sent the damn things to Grammy's house and get him the veggie lizard he wants. I like that and wanted one myself as a teenager just didn't have the $100something bucks to drop on it.
What's a veggie lizard?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:
What's a veggie lizard?

A lizard that eats mostly veggies opposed to mostly live prey. A Uramastix (sp?) is what he wants. It's in the tank right above the hermit crabs at Petco so he's seen it several times and loves it. It's $130 and I'm not dropping that kind of money on a lizard for him just yet. I do think they're way cute for lizards though and the one at Petco is fairly tame for a reptile; he likes to be held and such.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
A lizard that eats mostly veggies opposed to mostly live prey. A Uramastix (sp?) is what he wants. It's in the tank right above the hermit crabs at Petco so he's seen it several times and loves it. It's $130 and I'm not dropping that kind of money on a lizard for him just yet. I do think they're way cute for lizards though and the one at Petco is fairly tame for a reptile; he likes to be held and such.
Ew! I am definitely not a reptile person. I don't even think I could do hermit crabs. :lol: We were thinking of getting MiniMe this little frog aquarium thing for Christmas, you put a tadpole in it and it grows into a frog. But I'm a little nervous about that. :lol:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:
Ew! I am definitely not a reptile person. I don't even think I could do hermit crabs. :lol: We were thinking of getting MiniMe this little frog aquarium thing for Christmas, you put a tadpole in it and it grows into a frog. But I'm a little nervous about that. :lol:

Here they are.

I don't like frogs. You have to feed them crickets or big ones mice! :jameo:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:
Ew.
Double Ew. :faint:

Back to the drawing board. :lmao:

You can get him those little African Dwarf Frogs. They're totally aquatic and eat fish food and freeze dried worms and stuff. But you have to have a whole fish tank set up.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
You can get him those little African Dwarf Frogs. They're totally aquatic and eat fish food and freeze dried worms and stuff. But you have to have a whole fish tank set up.
How easily do they croak? (no pun intended)

Midnightrider

pixiegirl said:
That's why I like the veggie lizard, you feed them salad. :lmao: :yay:
have you looked into chamilians (sp?) my son had a vieled, it was awesom, and ate veggies and meal worms. Great color, and i think it was around $75. had it for about 2 years, then the dog ate it :cry:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Midnightrider said:
have you looked into chamilians (sp?) my son had a vieled, it was awesom, and ate veggies and meal worms. Great color, and i think it was around $75. had it for about 2 years, then the dog ate it :cry:

They're hard to keep from what I've heard. Have to have the perfect humidity in their habitat or else they croak. Was it hard to keep the terrarium up? Could it be handled a lot?

camily

Peace
pixiegirl said:
I had one of them as a buddy for my Betta. :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:
Hmm, looks interesting. I'll have to look into it a bit more.

Noah wouldn't be happy with that or else I'd get him some. He wants something he can hold. The issue comes in finding something that I'll touch. I have to be able to tolerate it since I'll be the one caring for it for the most part. No tarantulas, scorpions at all! Most frogs are out as are most lizards. For some reason I don't mind snakes at all but they eat mice and I'm not sure I want to subject N to the "food chain" just yet. :lmao: A veggie lizard is good.

Midnightrider

pixiegirl said:
They're hard to keep from what I've heard. Have to have the perfect humidity in their habitat or else they croak. Was it hard to keep the terrarium up? Could it be handled a lot?
the boy's actually liked to be held, and they move sooooo slooow that they cant get away, and they dont bite.

As for the conditions, it wasn't too bad. you just had to mist the tank once a day, or set up a drip tube. We used a mister, basically a tiny garden sprayer.

camily

Peace
pixiegirl said:
Noah wouldn't be happy with that or else I'd get him some. He wants something he can hold. The issue comes in finding something that I'll touch. I have to be able to tolerate it since I'll be the one caring for it for the most part. No tarantulas, scorpions at all! Most frogs are out as are most lizards. For some reason I don't mind snakes at all but they eat mice and I'm not sure I want to subject N to the "food chain" just yet. :lmao: A veggie lizard is good.
My friend haas a baby Ball for sale. VERY friendly. I hold it frequently. He comes with tank and everything for $75 I think. He eats live or frozen so he wouldn't have to see the kill. :yay: