Hermit Crabs

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
Noah wouldn't be happy with that or else I'd get him some. He wants something he can hold. The issue comes in finding something that I'll touch. I have to be able to tolerate it since I'll be the one caring for it for the most part. No tarantulas, scorpions at all! Most frogs are out as are most lizards. For some reason I don't mind snakes at all but they eat mice and I'm not sure I want to subject N to the "food chain" just yet. :lmao: A veggie lizard is good.
Joshua is into animal rescue. He's been finding caterpillars and putting them in cups. :ohwell: Then, of course, there was the bunny he rescued. :jameo: My stepmother has a rabbit, and he wants one so bad, but I don't think I can do it. :lmao:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
If he wants a reptile, how about an iguana. You would just have to teach them to wash their hands each time it is handled.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:
Joshua is into animal rescue. He's been finding caterpillars and putting them in cups. :ohwell: Then, of course, there was the bunny he rescued. :jameo: My stepmother has a rabbit, and he wants one so bad, but I don't think I can do it. :lmao:

Rabbits stink! Rabit pee is horrid. Under no circumstances get a rabbit! They're sure and cuddly but messy and stink. No birds either. Ick! Weren't you guys thinking about getting a cat? Get a cat! :lmao:

camily

Peace
Nickel said:
My daughter rescued a bunny once too. Right out of a neighbors rabbit hutch. Snuck it into her room. I about died when I opened the door and there it was :yikes:. I returned it soooo fast. I'm sure I looked like a :dork: sneaking the rabbit back in if anyone saw me.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
Rabbits stink! Rabit pee is horrid. Under no circumstances get a rabbit! They're sure and cuddly but messy and stink. No birds either. Ick! Weren't you guys thinking about getting a cat? Get a cat! :lmao:
Cody can't be trusted with regular pets, he's mean to them. :ohwell:

I don't want a rabbit, because I would be grossed out when it dies. :lol: Birds are way too much work, I used to housesit for family friends that had two gorgeous birds. I loved being around them, they were very fun, but they got up and squawked loudly (one would even call out) at dawn. :lol: They were on all natural diets, so it took longer to make their breakfast than mine. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
camily said:
My daughter rescued a bunny once too. Right out of a neighbors rabbit hutch. Snuck it into her room. I about died when I opened the door and there it was :yikes:. I returned it soooo fast. I'm sure I looked like a :dork: sneaking the rabbit back in if anyone saw me.
He rescued this one from our backyard a month or so ago. It was just an itty bitty baby, and he was trying to sweet talk me into keeping it. I had to explain that (a) it's a baby and needs it's mommy, and (b) wild bunnies will die in captivity. :lmao:

Last edited:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Oh...Pix...had I known you were in the market for reptiles, the other weekend we caught 9 baby slider turtles in the yard and took them down to be released at an inlet of water. One or two of them would have been great for the boys. They were even friendly and didn't mind being held.

camily

Peace
Nickel said:
He rescued this one from our backyard a month or so ago. It was just an itty bitty baby, and he was trying to sweet talk me into keeping it. I had to explain that (a) it's a baby and needs it's mommy, and (b) wild bunnies will die in your captivity. :lmao:
Hmm, that would have been better. I just whooped her a$$. :ohwell:

Midnightrider

jwwb2000 said:
Oh...Pix...had I known you were in the market for reptiles, the other weekend we caught 9 baby slider turtles in the yard and took them down to be released at an inlet of water. One or two of them would have been great for the boys. They were even friendly and didn't mind being held.
I have one of those now, they are very low maintenance! I got mine from friend who's kid wa over it. I have had it about 2 years. The best part is that you can had some fish in the tank too. Its kind of an experiment, but my turtle does just fine with an african ciclid that is close to the same size.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Meet the crabs...

Of course 3 of the 4 were buried in the mulch. I was straightening up after them and boiling their logs. They all must be boys cause they're the sloppiest damn creatured I've ever seen. I made the tank all nice and neat and they dump the water bowls, put mulch and their logs in them, move all the extra shells around. :drama:

Last edited:

Tina2001aniT

pixiegirl said:
Of course 3 of the 4 were buried in the mulch. I was straightening up after them and boiling their logs. They all must be boys cause they're the sloppiest damn creatured I've ever seen. I made the tank all nice and neat and they dump the water bowls, put mulch and their logs in them, move all the extra shells around. :drama:

did you get all of their stuff at petco? We have three (one for each kid) that we got in OC in May, and I have been wanting to get them a better place to live and some climbing things, but didn'tthink they would have it at petco or anywhere local....

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Tina2001aniT said:
did you get all of their stuff at petco? We have three (one for each kid) that we got in OC in May, and I have been wanting to get them a better place to live and some climbing things, but didn'tthink they would have it at petco or anywhere local....

Yep, at Petco. The have a whole bunch of stuff just to the left of where the hermit crab tank is. I paid big bucks for the damn hermit crab sand which the didn't seem to like nearly as much as the mulch. Crapola is expensive. They have all the water conditioners, extra shells, bedding, etc that you need.