HOA's and their control

vraiblonde said:
I love an HOA. I always picture people who ##### about HOAs as these people who dress deer in their front yards, etc.
It was the guy complaining about the guy butchering the deer that was complaining about the HOA, not the other way around.

Excerpts from the March '03 article:

Frederick County Maryland Hunter Becomes the Target in Neighborhood Dispute

John Ramboz is a Defense Department machinist and a sportsman who grew up in Maryland and lives in Lake Linganore, a rural subdivision near New Market in Frederick County. His house is filled with children, friends, two cats and, one day recently, a friend's dog. Hanging on the walls are the kids' artwork, along with artworks of taxidermy -- a wild turkey in flight, a nine-point buck's head, a bobcat in mid-pounce, and fat-bellied channel catfish his daughter caught.

John Zisk is an equine veterinarian, originally from Connecticut, who lives across the street. His house was decorated by his wife, a chef who teaches at a French-style cooking school. There are gold tassels on the lamps, lacquer coasters on the coffee table and white couches with pillows arranged by size. The only animals are a pedigreed Airedale named Cosmo Cutup, a Chinese ink drawing of a horse and the image of a duck knitted into Zisk's sweater.

They are two neighbors with different tastes, from different backgrounds. But that's not uncommon in Frederick, where an influx of refugees from cities and crowded suburbs has eroded the county's rural character. The lifestyles of longtime residents and newcomers sometimes clash, as they did on a chilly Saturday in January when Zisk and Ramboz had a conversation over the carcass of a deer that Ramboz was skinning in his front yard.

Ramboz, 45, had the hide off and was sawing through the ribs when Zisk and his wife, Catherine Brawn, drove past "with an astonished look on their faces," Ramboz recalls. "I thought, 'Uh-oh.' "

Zisk summarized those concerns as: "Who in their right mind wants to come into their community and see a hillbilly mentality skinning deer? What does that do to property values? What does that do to the social atmosphere?"

Ramboz, a taciturn fellow, said he told Zisk that day: "Give me 10 minutes. I'm almost done, and we'll talk."

Then later he told Zisk, "Go home."

The homeowners association board decided last month that deer-skinning does not constitute "noxious, dangerous, unsightly" behavior, and so is not prohibited by the group's bylaws.

But Zisk isn't giving up.

"These types of people are community Neanderthals," he said. "And it's just a matter of time before they're flushed out."

Ramboz's response: "Hillbilly? That is hilarious."

Several years ago, Ramboz's next-door neighbor, Rich Cramer, helped Ramboz erect a 10-foot hoist for skinning deer. Ramboz, who guts his kill in the field, said he usually skins in the early morning or at dusk. Though the hoist is outside her window, "never once have I seen him clean a deer," said Cramer's wife, Chandra.

That day in January, Ramboz dressed two deer. He finished one before dawn. But by the time he got to the second, it was midafternoon, and Zisk and his wife were passing by on their way home from Costco.

Zisk said he has nothing against hunting. All he wanted, he said, was for Ramboz to move his deer-cleaning operation to the back yard. But Ramboz said the wooded area behind the house is too steeply sloped. "I'd rather do this in my back yard for my own privacy, but it's not realistic," he said. After the homeowners association said it had received complaints, Ramboz offered to build a fence around the deer hoist. But to be useful, it would have to exceed the association's height limit for fences.

Vince

Ponytail said:
:lol: Same thing happened to me. Just one more neighbor that I don't have to worry about talking to me ever again. :angel: Though, I AM that neighbor with vehicles parked in the yard, now that I'm not worried about that tree falling on them any more. :lol:

As far as buying acreage in a development...you won't win that one. Sounds like it's gonna be another pricey development, and most folks don't spend that kind of cash to wake up smelling horsechit every morning.
Yeah, but I bet your vehicles have not been sitting there rusting out for the last five years with no work being done to them. Point I was making is that why the hell was she bothering me for cutting a dead tree and not enforcing anything else. I know that I will never buy in a private neighborhood again. When I sell this place, I'm moving out into the country. No Neighbors.

SmallTown

Football season!
vraiblonde said:
I love an HOA. I always picture people who ##### about HOAs as these people who have junk cars in their yard, pitbulls running free, dressing deer in their front yards, etc.

generally the people who complain about HOAs are the very reason they exist in the first place. I have almost always lived in areas with an HOA of some sorts, and never had a problem. Maybe because we never gave the HOA a reason to come talk to us. A good HOA (with good residents) is almost invisible.

R

remaxrealtor

misslady67 said:
Speaking as a member of the Board of Directors for my HOA :tap: When you buy a property that has an HOA you should know what you're buying into. Be an informed consumer. If you are totally against HOA's then don't buy a anything in an area that has one. They are set up (for the most part) to help maintain a community, it's surrounding property, and to keep the value of the homes at their best. Can they be annoying...YES. I am on the board to ensure that I know what is going on and make sure I know where my dues are being spent. Playing an active role gives you a better understanding JMO. At least you're finding this out BEFORE you purchase. You'd be surprized at how many people have no clue what bylaws and covenants even mean :lmao: Be thankkful you are wise enough to have the information you need to make your decision now. I would look somewhere else. Bylaws/covenants are NOT easy to change. Good Luck. :howdy:
Well said.

Ponytail

Vince said:
Yeah, but I bet your vehicles have not been sitting there rusting out for the last five years with no work being done to them. Point I was making is that why the hell was she bothering me for cutting a dead tree and not enforcing anything else. I know that I will never buy in a private neighborhood again. When I sell this place, I'm moving out into the country. No Neighbors.

You just need to do some crazy shiat that will make your neighbors truly believe you are crazy. It works every time. I have neighbors. I have NO clue what they look like though. It's awesome!! What did it for me I think, was removing the front wall of my basement with a concrete blade on my circular saw about a week after moving in. :lol:

Me being an animal with tools was verified a couple of days ago by my roomy as he "helped me" put some windows in. I guess I was a little aggressive in getting the old ones out. :lol: No sense in fiddle fartin' around, wasting time trying to be careful with crap that's going to the dump anyway. (2) 40" x 50" windows removed and new ones installed in 45 minutes. :cool: Let me add, that no windows were broken in the process. I had no broken glass to pick up. I dunno what his problem is. :shrug: :angel:

Until they finally moved, the folks living across from me had 3 busted up boats, an old truck (not running), and a family living out of an RV with the sewage line going directly into the septic tank. No by-laws being broken there, right? The HOA's take on it was that those conditions were not visible from the street. Actually,, the RV was less than 10 feet from the road. The sewage line ran across the driveway to the septic vent, and all were visible from the road, and my livingroom. :ohwell:

Animals4Life

Thanks for everyone's input. We were released from our contract because we did have a contigency that if the horses and the garage were not approved then we would not want the property. We have started to look elsewhere and have found properties with no HOA's and etc. and even though they may not be in the location we wanted it is better then living in an enviroment where you have to ask permission to walk out of your front door. Don't get me wrong, I think HOA's can be very beneficial when it comes to the cosmetics of a neighborhood and etc. I just have a hard time accepting that a group of people, none of which are from this area even, totally blew us off after we had jumped through hoops with drawings and layouts and etc. and never even wanted to talk to us face to face. I think they were just jealous that our garage was going to be bigger then most of their homes :bawl:
And yes I could fight them because there were no updated convenants on file like they told us to go find because they did not have them for us to view in their presence and even though they said there were restrictions to livestock and if they were from Maryland they would know horses are not considered livestock but why :deadhorse
I'll take my money and my animals and live in perfect harmony where I can be at peace and not feel like I have to be a :buttkiss: to these people who obviously have more important issues like the color of a street sign or the height of someones grass. Thanks for listening everyone!!!

Last edited:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
huntr1 said:
I have always lived in 'hoods w/ an HOA. When we moved to St. Mary's, our 'hood was brand new. I volunteered to be HOA President to make sure that it did not become a bunch of "Neighborhood Nazis." I want(ed) to make sure that the HOA was as unobtrusive as possible. Only thing we care about is that people do their HOA maintenance (cutting the grass on common area property) and that the fences around the ugly azz stormwater retention ponds are in good repair. I have only had 1 complaint about somebody breaking a rule in 4 years. If you wanted to paint your house dayglo orange and purple, you could do it in my 'hood. You want to put a 4 story addition on your rancher? Have fun.
What would you do if you lived in a neighborhood where the HOA was practically non-existent? Day and I live in a small, quiet area of Lexington Park. One of the neighbors has taken this leniency a little too far, and unfortunately, it's only getting worse. :lol:

nomoney

Chasey_Lane said:
What would you do if you lived in a neighborhood where the HOA was practically non-existent? Day and I live in a small, quiet area of Lexington Park. One of the neighbors has taken this leniency a little too far, and unfortunately, it's only getting worse. :lol:

Is there a hoa at all?

nomoney

Chasey_Lane said:
Yep. That's why I said it was practically non-existent. :lol:

do you pay dues and have by laws and crap? If so then contact the president and get a notice out to the offender.

jaie

So happy!
vraiblonde said:
I love an HOA. I always picture people who ##### about HOAs as these people who have junk cars in their yard, pitbulls running free, dressing deer in their front yards, etc.

I pay good money to live in a neighborhood where I don't have to deal with the neighbor's weeds fluffing over into my yard. And some day I might want to sell my home, and it won't do to have the house next door with siding falling off and in a state of general disrepair.
:yeahthat:

CrashTest

vraiblonde said:
...And some day I might want to sell my home, and it won't do to have the house next door with siding falling off and in a state of general disrepair.

That’s the key. To me, HOA is all about the value of your house not suffering due to others. I don’t care what my neighbor’s house looks like. I’m not trying to impress all the visitors that come over since there aren’t any. Nevertheless, someday a prospective buyer might care what my neighbor’s house looks like.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
CrashTest said:
That’s the key. To me, HOA is all about the value of your house not suffering due to others. I don’t care what my neighbor’s house looks like. I’m not trying to impress all the visitors that come over since there aren’t any. Nevertheless, someday a prospective buyer might care what my neighbor’s house looks like.
Oh, I care what my neighbor's house looks like. I care that he has four untagged and broken cars in his driveway. I care that since his driveway is cluttered up with broken down cars it is too full, so he drives on his yard up to his front door. I care that his house still shows signs of hurricane damage from Isabel (from mid Sep 2003!!!). I care that he doesn't mow his grass enough. I care that he has a broken down trampoline in his yard that is nothing more than "yard art". Every time I drive by that house, it steams me that it looks to trashy; the other neighbors and I go to great lengths to make sure our homes look nice and well taken care of.

I don't get it why people don't have more pride in their home, and that they neglect a relatively new home and let it so earily fall into disrepair. :ohwell:

KCM

Right Where I Belong
We live in a community with no HOA. The house beside me is falling apart. The woman who owns it is nothing but white trash at its finest. She has a balcony on the front of her house that the railing has falling off of into her front yard. The bushes were so high in front of her home that I could hardly see to pull out of my driveway. She finally got the jest that I couldn't see to pull out and trimmed them over the weekend.

Her back porch looks like a junk pile. Her dog will get out the door of the balcony and with no railing around it, climb on the roof of her home and walk around!

Sometimes I wish we had an HOA.:ohwell:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
BadGirl said:
I don't get it why people don't have more pride in their home, and that they neglect a relatively new home and let it so earily fall into disrepair. :ohwell:
:yeahthat: Said neighbor has 5/6 vehicles between him and his wife. If he spent 1/2 the time on his house as he does his vehicles, his house wouldn't look the way it does. :ohwell:

Tina2001aniT

Chasey_Lane said:
:yeahthat: Said neighbor has 5/6 vehicles between him and his wife. If he spent 1/2 the time on his house as he does his vehicles, his house wouldn't look the way it does. :ohwell:

Mikey doesn't have a wife, those are just his hoe's......

I will try to get him to take care of his house a little better....:lol:

Last edited: