HOA's and their control

nomoney

Chasey_Lane said:
The president is part of the problem! :lol:

then quit paying the fees :shrug: If they bug you about it write them a letter stating that when they start abiding by the by laws then you'll start paying again.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
BadGirl said:
Oh, I care what my neighbor's house looks like. I care that he has four untagged and broken cars in his driveway. I care that since his driveway is cluttered up with broken down cars it is too full, so he drives on his yard up to his front door. I care that his house still shows signs of hurricane damage from Isabel (from mid Sep 2003!!!). I care that he doesn't mow his grass enough. I care that he has a broken down trampoline in his yard that is nothing more than "yard art". Every time I drive by that house, it steams me that it looks to trashy; the other neighbors and I go to great lengths to make sure our homes look nice and well taken care of.

I don't get it why people don't have more pride in their home, and that they neglect a relatively new home and let it so earily fall into disrepair. :ohwell:
BadGirl,

Contact the Zoning Inspectors for the Department of Land Use and Growth Management, 301-475-4200, ext 1586. The county ordinance (SMCCZO) section 81.2.1.b is being violated and he has to remove the vehicles or tag them. Failure to correct the problem results in a $50 a day fine.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Ken King said:
BadGirl,

Contact the Zoning Inspectors for the Department of Land Use and Growth Management, 301-475-4200, ext 1586. The county ordinance (SMCCZO) section 81.2.1.b is being violated and he has to remove the vehicles or tag them. Failure to correct the problem results in a $50 a day fine.
I'll try calling again. Perhaps my THIRD time at calling this department will result in some positive action, seeing as my two previous calls obviously fell to the wayside. :ohwell:

Cletus_Vandam

Want to challenge the HOA?

The HOA's responsibility it to enforce the rules and restrictions of the covenants. Covenants are [in most cases] written by attorneys working with the developer of the subdivision. The developer wants to create rules and requirements for the community that will not negatively impact his profits... That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

As stated earlier, covenants are near impossible to change. In order for them to be enforceable they need to be recorded at the County level and transferable with the sale of the property. There are ways to change them but it takes a very large vote from the owners of all effected properties in order for it to take place.

This thread started with someone wanting to put livestock on 9 acres where it wasn’t allowed by covenants. If I had moved from a location where people were painting their houses red with chartreuse shutters and yellow trim, and I had done my homework making sure the covenants for my new home were restrictive on what was allowed, I wouldn’t want someone raising horses, cows, ponies, or anything else that belongs on a farm. Believe it or not, thinks that people don’t want to live next to have a bearing on what your house is worth.

And for all those out there saying screws the HOA, do whatever you want… Be careful doing that. If the HOA starts legal action against you, the first thing they are going to do is withdraw you permission to any amenities that the community might have to offer [pools, golf course, etc.]. They will also likely place a lien against your house making it impossible to sell until you satisfy the HOA. This would mean having to pay back all of the legal fees, with interest… If you think your going to win that fight, your wrong. The law is on the HOA’s side.

KCM

Right Where I Belong
To my leaver of green karma who didn't sign their name - I live outside of the Cumberland area very close to the town where I was raised.

Chrystee

vraiblonde said:
I love an HOA. I always picture people who ##### about HOAs as these people who have junk cars in their yard, pitbulls running free, dressing deer in their front yards, etc.

I pay good money to live in a neighborhood where I don't have to deal with the neighbor's weeds fluffing over into my yard. And some day I might want to sell my home, and it won't do to have the house next door with siding falling off and in a state of general disrepair.

I agree. I prefer an HOA, myself.

I can't stand paying these prices, and then have a junky neighborhood. You want a neighborhood w/o a HOA, check out the neighborhood by Vera's.

greyhound

Chrystee said:
I agree. I prefer an HOA, myself.

I can't stand paying these prices, and then have a junky neighborhood. You want a neighborhood w/o a HOA, check out the neighborhood by Vera's.

They have an HOA.

Chrystee

greyhound said:
They have an HOA.

Really?? Is it new? We had went to look at a house, and the realtor told us that they didn't have a HOA.. I guess maybe its a non-existent one then.

Cars on blocks, rusty chain link fences, yards with dirt, and no grass.. etc.