Holiday Dinners

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Always fun to raise the bar a little bit, and try something out of the ordinary, or something you don't do often. This year I have some nice choices that I've done before, but a new experiment presented itself.

I had already planned on a turducken, pheasant, manacotti and a rib roast, but when I was meandering thru Harris Teeter, I found a small package of quail. Must be really small, 4 in a box only a couple of inches across. And surprisingly inexpensive, only $12. So now I have to research how to make quail.

It's actually a little sad, because where I grew up there were quail always running thru the yard, and just up the road were wild pheasant. All gone now, have been for many many years.

What has anyone got planned for meals?

rio

Well, my sister-in-law is cooking for the big family get together this year.
My experiment will be on how many ways to look like I'm eating and enjoying cold dry turkey, cold dry ham, coleslaw from a jar, store bought rolls, over-baked mac-n-cheese with tomatoes and bacon in it, Watergate salad, runny baked beans, and shriveled up lima beans. If I'm really lucky she'll have chips and a veggie tray so I can experiment on making a plate look full with those!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My experiment will be on how many ways to look like I'm eating and enjoying cold dry turkey, cold dry ham, coleslaw from a jar, store bought rolls, over-baked mac-n-cheese with tomatoes and bacon in it, Watergate salad, runny baked beans, and shriveled up lima beans. If I'm really lucky she'll have chips and a veggie tray so I can experiment on making a plate look full with those!
:poorbaby:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
... cold dry turkey, cold dry ham, coleslaw from a jar, store bought rolls, over-baked mac-n-cheese with tomatoes and bacon in it, Watergate salad, runny baked beans, and shriveled up lima beans.
Sounds like our last agency Pot Luck.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A good friend is bringing over a 14 lb turkey. She will also bring candied carrots, potatoes for smashing, cranberry sauce. She'll make gravy. I'll provide sweet potatoes, stuffing, wine and the turkey bag. She likes the dark meat and I prefer the white so win win for both of us! I will make stock and turkey noodle soup afterwards.
We plan to play Scrabble while the turkey is in the oven.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'd eat before I got there and not worry about eating there. No way I'd torture myself eating what you described ewww.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
We do breakfast. Spiral ham, sausage gravy and biscuits, scrambled eggs, bananas, peaches, sweet breads, coffee and juices.

Mom does dinner. Beef tenderloin, roast chickens, mashed potatoes and gravies, broccoli, carrots, green beans. I'll make rolls. More cakes, pies, and cookies than you can count. Probably lose some quarters playing pitch.

It's all about the food and company.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Mom is switching it up and making a pot roast while I had the same idea and bought one too so I'll probably freeze mine and add sides to her meal to share. New Years brings Steak on the grill so I hope it's above freezing that day and not too windy. One year it was around 70 degrees on New Year's Day.

rio

I'd eat before I got there and not worry about eating there. No way I'd torture myself eating what you described ewww.
I see it as eating light so that the next morning I won't feel as bad pigging out on hubby's waffles and bacon. He only cooks once a year!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
We do breakfast. Spiral ham, sausage gravy and biscuits, scrambled eggs, bananas, peaches, sweet breads, coffee and juices
Traditional family b'fast was an Entemmann's Holiday Stollen, but they aren't available anymore. I did find a German almond-filled stollen at Aldi, so I'll see if it works.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Traditional family b'fast was an Entemmann's Holiday Stollen, but they aren't available anymore. I did find a German almond-filled stollen at Aldi, so I'll see if it works.

Not sure its even there anymore but there was a bakery in Wildewood that use to have Holiday type items, Yule Logs etc.

If it's still there, you might ask.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Always fun to raise the bar a little bit, and try something out of the ordinary, or something you don't do often. This year I have some nice choices that I've done before, but a new experiment presented itself.

I had already planned on a turducken, pheasant, manacotti and a rib roast, but when I was meandering thru Harris Teeter, I found a small package of quail. Must be really small, 4 in a box only a couple of inches across. And surprisingly inexpensive, only $12. So now I have to research how to make quail.

It's actually a little sad, because where I grew up there were quail always running thru the yard, and just up the road were wild pheasant. All gone now, have been for many many years.

What has anyone got planned for meals?
Wait for badgirls response, it’ll have 6 kinds of meat 10 vegetable courses, probably a casserole or 4 and a dozen desserts.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Tonight was cold shrimp cocktail, quail stuffed with wild rice, chardonnay and pumpkin pie/whipped cream.

The quail was interesting, mild flavor, but practically no meat on it, and LOTS of little bones. They were so small I think I got 1/2 tablespoon of rice in them... :lol:

rio

This was today only instead of the over-baked mac-n-cheese and runny baked beans it was thin mashed potatoes with no gravy and candied sweet potatoes which I don't like no matter how they're cooked. No luck on veggie tray, but other sis in law brought yummy mini cheese cakes.

rio

Tonight was cold shrimp cocktail, quail stuffed with wild rice, chardonnay and pumpkin pie/whipped cream.

The quail was interesting, mild flavor, but practically no meat on it, and LOTS of little bones. They were so small I think I got 1/2 tablespoon of rice in them... :lol:
Well now you know!