Homeowners Associations

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kyle
Look in another direction. :biggrin:

Personally, short of testing explosives or keeping a herd of skunks, I could care less what my neighbors do on their property.

Bring on the Pink Flamingos, Yard Balls and Garden Gnomes. I won't be bothered looking and their presence won't keep me awake.

You're the poster boy for why we have HOAs :biggrin:

http

What homeowners association plows snow, hauls trash, resurfaces roads and does concrete? :confused:

I've only ever witnessed "State" and "County" authorities conducting those activities.

Nope, mine does. All hiring private contractors. They take care of the culdesac (not city named streets), culdesac sidewalks, and all other common areas, vegetation, blacktop, cement, trash pickup, storm debris and snow, right up to the curtain, skirt, drape or whatever they call it, of your driveway. And trash, yes you are correct, that is city. My bad.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ahhhhh...America! Freedom of Choice! Such a wonderful thing. Kyle can live where gutting deer in the front yard is no biggie :lol:, and I can live where everyone has a manicured lawn.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
What homeowners association plows snow, hauls trash, resurfaces roads and does concrete? :confused:

I've only ever witnessed "State" and "County" authorities conducting those activities.

Most counties don't haul trash, you have to contract with a private company to take it to the county owned dump.

The county also doesn't do sidewalks. If it's in front of your house it's your responsibility but if it runs along common area, it's the HOA's problem. If you live in a townhouse or condos, chances are the parking area is private property, not county responsibility, so the county doesn't plow snow or resurface it.

I am the president of the HOA in my neighborhood. (ducking for cover) I wanted to be president so that I could have some control over the HOA. I grew up in Upper Marlboro with a strict HOA, lived in Frederick with a strict HOA, have seen neighborhoods without HOA's. The ones without the HOA's all ended up looking like trash eventually, and I HATED the strick HOA's. Wanted to make sure that the new HOA is low key. Our covenants are all of about 2 pages. Can't have chickens or pigs, can't live in a trailer in your front yard, can't have a mining operation, must keep your yard maintained. I wanted to make sure that somebody didn't try telling me what type of fence I could have, what the screen door on my house had to look like, what color I could paint my house, what design my shed had to be and where I could put it on my property. I had all of these before, and don't want them again. Just want to make sure that the common areas are maintained and that the neighborhood doesn't end up looking like the Flattops.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by huntr1
what design my shed had to be and where I could put it on my property.

This seemed like a no brainer for me. Until I lived two doors down from a guy who decided a 25x25 shed in his side yard would be nice. He was cheap, so he found old, rusty metal for the top and sides. What a sight. After a good deal of pressure, he decided to take it down and "splurge" on getting a regular shed put in. The HOA then changed the rules to add the shed issues.
Again, a well run HOA should be transparent to your average homeowner.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Ahhhhh...America! Freedom of Choice! Such a wonderful thing. Kyle can live where gutting deer in the front yard is no biggie :lol:, and I can live where everyone has a manicured lawn.
After I gut my deer I'll give the leftovers to you to use on your manicured lawn! I heard it's good fertilizer. :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by huntr1
Can't have pigs,

SEE! EXACTLY why I wouldn't live in your neighborhood. My girls are precious and :moon: to all those who don't see the beauty in my piggies. :bawl: And I'd have chickens if my husband would let me. They are excellent tick and hornet controllers. :yay:

I LOVE my neighborhood (same one as Kyle's). I've never seen anything apalling in my neighborhood other than my actual neighbors. Their yard looks pretty and well maintained (I personally think the guy spends as much time as possible on his riding lawnmower to avoid the sourpuss wife :wink: )

My property looks nice (well it would if it would ever not rain on a weekend and I can finish my mulching :bawl: ) Currently it looks like the garden section of Lowes. :twitch:

Dymphna

Originally posted by Christy
SEE! EXACTLY why I wouldn't live in your neighborhood. My girls are precious and :moon: to all those who don't see the beauty in my piggies. :bawl: And I'd have chickens if my husband would let me. They are excellent tick and hornet controllers. :yay:

I thought it was a county ordinance that you couldn't have pigs or chickens etc. unless you had a certain amount of property or were zoned rural conservation or something like that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If I'm not mistaken, all the home sites in this neighborhood are zoned Rural/Residential and on anywhere from 1 - 14 acres of ground.

As for the neighbors... I don't bother mine and they don't bother me.
2ar15smilie.gif

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by cmcdanal
I thought it was a county ordinance that you couldn't have pigs or chickens etc. unless you had a certain amount of property or were zoned rural conservation or something like that.

Well if folks in my neighborhood can own horses and donkeys, I sure as shiznet should be able to own Pot Bellied Pigs. :razz2:

What's with you pig haters anyway? :shrug: :boxing: :duel:

SmallTown

Football season!
Well if folks in my neighborhood can own horses and donkeys, I sure as shiznet should be able to own Pot Bellied Pigs. :razz2:

I love pigs. Try to eat a little pork everyday (can't wait to see how THAT gets turned around!) :biggrin:

Dymphna

I like pigs, they're cute. I didn't realize it was a potbelly pig anyway, I don't think they would be discriminated against, you probably keep it in the house anyway, right? I think that huntr mentioned pigs in the plural.

What I meant was if you are in a neighborhood that requires an HOA, most likely it's smaller lots and zoned residential rather than rural. I think the county prohibits livestock on such lots b/c it's too small for the animals and it's too easy for it to get too smelly and annoy the neighbors. If your neighborhood is zoned rural and there are some lots large enough to support horses, then I don't see the problem.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by cmcdanal
I think that huntr mentioned pigs in the plural.

<---------------------------- They are plural. :bubble:

Sheesh, doesn't anyone pay attention to my girls anymore? :rolleyes: :wink:

And actually, most HOA's will not allow pot bellied pigs either. Mine don't stay in the house. They have their own house outside. I actually tried to make them indoor/outdoor, but they don't like walking on floor tile, so they won't even step foot in the house. :bawl:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by SmallTown
I love pigs. Try to eat a little pork everyday (can't wait to see how THAT gets turned around!) :biggrin:

BWAHAHAHAHA. :killingme :duh: Okay, that has to make the BILLIONTH time I've heard that line. :rolleyes: EVERYONE says that, until they meet my girls. :wink: They're too pretty to eat. :razz2: