How are the townhouses on pegg road?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Don't let the age of a home make your mind up. Maintenance and original builder quality is what you should look for. My 50+ y/o, 2500 sq ft home has had three oak trees bounce off the roof! Try that with a new home. Our electric bills average $170/mo and oil heat (hard to find in new construction) is about $900 a year.
Depends what you need. If you don't spend time at home, or have no inclination to do your own work get a townhouse, there are good ones in Wildewood at these prices. Pegg Road is not a great area. Look it up, lived there for four years.
BTW: Find a zip code map before you eliminate Lexington Park. You get the misconception that everything in the 20653 zip code is high crime garbage. Not quite, the zip codes are very convoluted. I believe they patterned them after the tax code.
Excellent point. There are some great communities that are in the 20653 zop code. Town Creek, Esperanza Farms, Rues Woods, Greenbrier just to name some. Some folks might think of Chancellors Run Rd as being in Lexington Park or California but it's actually part of Great Mills.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Townhouses are outrageous around here. IMO I wouldn't do it unless you enjoy them for other reasons, like you're older and don't want ot do yard work or something. You just aren't going to get any money out of the deal..unless it is your dream house and you are going to live there until you die..there are other ways. I almost went hte townhouse route because my budget was pretty low..but after looking around found a great house I love for UNDER my budget.

But if you don't care for townhouse opinions...lol..those townhouses are very nice, and the neighborhood around isn't the best but they are set away from that..but very pricey for what you get.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Zillow is great for seeing how the zip codes break down, on thier map it highlights the area covered by that zip. Lexingotn Park actually goes down south of Gate three to I think Wickshire on 235.

aw, did you say Colvar has TWO garages? Might have to swing by there:)

Surprisingly, Lexington Park extends on Route 235 all the way to Dameron......10 miles south of the 235/Great Mills Rd intersection. Demo Rd is the dividing line, I believe.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:confused: Gee, Bob, you said not too long ago that you LOVE your area and, in fact, couldn't find anywhere else in the region you would rather be.

Of course, you and your wife are top executives of Fortune 500 companies, so I doubt someone looking in the ~$225K area could afford a place where you are.

My bad.

I keep forgetting how rich Obama says I am..

bohman

My husband an i are looking to possibly buy one for 225,000. does anyone live in one or know someone that does? how are they are you happy with your buy? an i already know that the "ghetto" is just around the corner.

Location, Location, Location.

I moved out of that area (Spring Valley) a year ago, and I'm happy that I did. It makes me sad to say that, because 99% of my neighbors were decent, friendly people. And you could probably say the same about the Patuxent neighborhood, or any of the townhouses/apartments in the area.

But it takes very few thuggish people to make a neighborhood feel crappy, and there's enough there to make me want to get out. If they don't bother you, more power to you, but offer less than 225K for those townhouses. 225 seems high to me.

Terrid76

It would seem to me that those townhouses will be loosing some of their value fairly quickly. The houses they are near are not selling for that much, though some are close to 220,000. The opinion of most of the people living on N Essex is our property values are going down due to those townhouses. Personally, I asked about the legality of putting up barbed wire. My neighbor wants an electric fence. I can't see spending that much money on a place where I have to put up with neighbor sharing a wall and listening to their music, tv, and fighting.

Good luck on your house search.

ctinac

wow guys thanks. i guess we just got blinded by how nice an new they are. thank you guys so much. im only 20 so dont know as much as you older folks do. we will be looking at older homes.

glhs837

Power with Control
Wow, that post right above you where tho OP thanked folks for the advice makes you look a bit silly. :killingme

JeneBNell7

My husband an i are looking to possibly buy one for 225,000. does anyone live in one or know someone that does? how are they are you happy with your buy? an i already know that the "ghetto" is just around the corner.

My husband, myself, and our two kids live in a townhome off of Pegg Rd. My husband is military and we just moved to the area, so we didn't know any better. We love our house, but we could do without the rude neighbors. Not sure about which ones you are looking to buy. There are tons of townhomes for sale or rent in our neighborhood. (We are in the newer ones off of Watt Dr.) Recently there has been a lot of theft going on with people's cars, however I've never heard of anyone house getting broken in to. I suppose it helps that every house here came with installed security systems and I think everyone knows it. My advise would be that if you want to live around here, try it on first with a rental like we did. We are lucky we didn't buy cause now no one can sell their house here. We will be moving as soon as our lease is up in March. Good luck! Oh...and make sure you are working with an agent that will tell you the truth about the listings and the areas you are looking. However...don't expect the truth from the listing agent on the property you are looking at. They just want to sell the property for their commission.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Oh...and make sure you are working with an agent that will tell you the truth about the listings and the areas you are looking. However...don't expect the truth from the listing agent on the property you are looking at. They just want to sell the property for their commission.

I THINK (if I remember correctly) what you are suggesting is improper for a real estate agent.

They can tell you about the house, but so far as crime, neighbors/ neighborhood.. not so much.

YOU need to do the investigative work about the neighborhood you are looking at. Suggestions would be to not just look at the house during a "showing" in the mid-afternoon, but come back and drive through the neighborhood in the evening, and maybe late at night. See what your comfort level is.

ctinac

im seeing that there are so many cheaper houses for sale right now. the insides kinda suck but im seeing good places for 175,000 so i could just re do it to my standards. very glad i asked this question.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
im seeing that there are so many cheaper houses for sale right now. the insides kinda suck but im seeing good places for 175,000 so i could just re do it to my standards. very glad i asked this question.

Do you have an agent? I am young as well and worked VERY well with Ella Blaine..she answered all of my dumb questions and took LOTS of time explaining things to me about how the process worked, even financing and how to deal witht he mortgage co (which is the biggest pain, EVER). She also made sure we were protected in every sale...and even paid for our home warrenty herself. If you are open to locations Lusby has some really good houses for sale right now that are very affordable and don't need a whole lot of fixing up. Kitchens are expensive to renovate...but things like paint and new flooring can be affordable ways to make things over. Our house was a TOTAL different place once we painted and redid all of the floors.

ctinac

Do you have an agent? I am young as well and worked VERY well with Ella Blaine..she answered all of my dumb questions and took LOTS of time explaining things to me about how the process worked, even financing and how to deal witht he mortgage co (which is the biggest pain, EVER). She also made sure we were protected in every sale...and even paid for our home warrenty herself. If you are open to locations Lusby has some really good houses for sale right now that are very affordable and don't need a whole lot of fixing up. Kitchens are expensive to renovate...but things like paint and new flooring can be affordable ways to make things over. Our house was a TOTAL different place once we painted and redid all of the floors.

yes we are working with a older guy named leyro not sure of his last name. but he does a good job at explaining stuff to us. an yes lusby does have some nice houses we are going to look at some today. the only bad thing about lusby is alot of there homes dont have backyards which is a big thing to us we have 3 chiahuahuas.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

If you find a motivated seller then you might be able to get them to do some of the upgrades for you. :yay: Then again as you are only 20 then closing help might be more beneficial to you.

My wife and I went through 2 agents (1st one wasn't real motivated) and looked at 30-40 properties before we purchased our 1st home. Find an agent that you comfortable with, ask TONS of questions, and DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A HOME WITHOUT GETTING A HOME INSPECTION DONE.

Most of the folks on here are smart azzes, (me included) but we do try to help folks out. (Most of the time):lol:

betsydema

Queen of the May

In my opinion.............a townhouse isn't a nice place to live at any price. I lived in one for 12 years..........and would never buy one again!!!:biteme::biteme: First, if you have noisy neighbors, you'll hear them day and night. Second, you'll have to pay an association fee which can be increased whenever. So don't budget for it to not increase over the years. Three, there are bylaws you have to follow or all Hell breaks loose. Four, my dogs would pick up round worms often because some people don't pick up after their dogs. Have I said enough??? Now I have a headache.....OUCH!!!