I have a couple of driving rants

black dog

Free America
A "practice" that has been made illegal in many states now...hopefully in MD too, eventually.

We enacted the move over law a few years ago here. It helps but so many still think that impeding others while doing the speed limit is still legal for them.
It's difficult for the minions to grasp to move over for someone that is speeding because they have the right away.
And I'm a right lane driver.

luvmygdaughters

I usually stay in the right lane, cruising at about 62-65, this is on 235/5 to Rt. 6. Its nothing for cars to pass me like I'm sitting still. They have to be pushing 70-80 mph. When I have to move to the left lane, so I can make the left onto 6...the battle is on! Before, I would wait until I was approximately 1/4 mile from the turn, that started to be impossible, no one will let you over, so now, I move into the left lane as I come past the 7-11 in Mechanicsville. I am still maintaining a speed of 62-65 miles per hour which is 7 to 10 miles above the posted speed limit. Its not the beltway people, its Rt. 5. Same for the spot in Leonardtown where the speed limit is 40 mph, thats a joke, people fly thru there doing well over the posted speed, which results in quite a few rear end smash ups.

black dog

Free America
Damn Right! If you want to do the speed limit, drive on the damned shoulder! :burning:

Lol.. that's one of the reasons I love my long as a bus dually, it's funny how folks driving compact cars ride my bumper in the right lane trying to intimate me.

glhs837

Power with Control
So now it's a bad thing to do the speed limit in the right lane?

Bad? No. Less than optimal sometimes, yes, depending on traffic. If traffic is moving about, it sometimes is a bit better to be flexible and adjust your speed up and down a bit. Not for you, but for the collective mass of drivers. Being a proactive part of traffic always better than being an unmoving object.

black dog

Free America
I usually stay in the right lane, cruising at about 62-65, this is on 235/5 to Rt. 6. Its nothing for cars to pass me like I'm sitting still. They have to be pushing 70-80 mph. When I have to move to the left lane, so I can make the left onto 6...the battle is on! Before, I would wait until I was approximately 1/4 mile from the turn, that started to be impossible, no one will let you over, so now, I move into the left lane as I come past the 7-11 in Mechanicsville. I am still maintaining a speed of 62-65 miles per hour which is 7 to 10 miles above the posted speed limit. Its not the beltway people, its Rt. 5. Same for the spot in Leonardtown where the speed limit is 40 mph, thats a joke, people fly thru there doing well over the posted speed, which results in quite a few rear end smash ups.

Unless it's been changed the speed limit in front of Mechanicsville 7/11 is 45 mph..
Is it ok to drive through your neighborhood at 20 to 25 over?

Wishbone

I normally use the center or left lanes and try to keep my speed under 35mph.

Just doing my part to help get everyone blood pressure up so they can face the day.

You're welcome!

Grumpy

Unless it's been changed the speed limit in front of Mechanicsville 7/11 is 45 mph..
Is it ok to drive through your neighborhood at 20 to 25 over?

Southbound, I believe you're right..but I think it's 55 northbound.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
first rant, they might have a radar detector, I do and always want that sacrificial lamb in front of me in case LEO is shooting instant on. Are you going 8-10 over speed limit? If i don’t have cars in front of me I'll usually go 8-10 over, trying not to be a dick by pacing another car in left/right lane, I do drive in right lane except to pass, OFTEN....

Second rant, Dudes a phucking dick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

black dog

Free America
Bad? No. Less than optimal sometimes, yes, depending on traffic. If traffic is moving about, it sometimes is a bit better to be flexible and adjust your speed up and down a bit. Not for you, but for the collective mass of drivers. Being a proactive part of traffic always better than being an unmoving object.

Maybe if so many folks left home early enough along with talking,texting,doing makeup,shaving and endless other distracting things while driving and just drive the speed limit like they were taught, lots of sillyness would end.
It's supposed to be a privilege..

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I tend to drive a bit fast, but northbound Rt 4 out of Northern Calvert is insane in the early morning. Someone is constantly on my bumper, no matter what my speed is. :lol: Much better coming in after 8 (or even 9) :whistle:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe if so many folks left home early enough along with talking,texting,doing makeup,shaving and endless other distracting things while driving and just drive the speed limit like they were taught, lots of sillyness would end.

:yay:

Their lack of punctuality is nobody's problem but their own. It's absurd for anyone to suggest someone exceed the posted speed limit - which is against the law, btw - in order to accommodate those who can't get their #### together enough to get to work on time.

Bitching about someone obeying the law...that's a good one. :doh:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

It's a long-established fact that the safest traffic flow is one with the least speed differential between all vehicles in it. So that "ahma be a stickler and drive 55" person in the middle of a traffic flow averaging 65...that driver is not the safest on the road, they are, in fact, by far the most dangerous; the most likely to contribute to an accident sequence.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's a long-established fact that the safest traffic flow is one with the least speed differential between all vehicles in it. So that "ahma be a stickler and drive 55" person in the middle of a traffic flow averaging 65...that driver is not the safest on the road, they are, in fact, by far the most dangerous; the most likely to contribute to an accident sequence.

That's a crock of cow patty. The only reason they are "far more dangerous" is because people get impatient, tailgate, push, cut off in a fit of rage because someone dare to stay the speed limit. If folks just grow some patience and stop thinking everyone needs to go their blazing speed or get the hell out of the way our road would be far more safe.

MyTwoCents

Comical

This gets my vote.

Also, left lane campers - who are almost always women or old people - who seem oblivious to the cars rushing by them on the right because they are going 10 mph below the speed limit.

I find some of this comical especially the "almost always women or old people", got stats?? Didn't think so. I find it crazy that this is the same forum that was condemning the twenty something young man that was killed while driving his red mustang on 4 a few months ago. Many people stating that he must have been speeding. If you're not doing 70 on parts of route 4 you will get run over. Maybe he was speeding (that's not been released) but he's also less experienced trying to keep up with the asshats doing 70. Or maybe he was trying to avoid a deer (there were 3 dead within a mile of the scene the next day) or someone else trying to avoid a deer and caused him to lose control. Either way there's too much reckless driving going on whether it be speeding or the ever too popular in MD no one knowing how to use a damn blinker.
For the record my cruise control is set at 62 because I like my license as it is (no points), I don't want to get run over, and most importantly I have kids in my truck.
Yesterday on 4 in the right lane I would have had no problem giving the driver of the blue Honda Accord on my ass a new hood ornament of my trailer hitch.
To the OP I do believe both that you encountered yesterday were being douchebags.

glhs837

Power with Control
Exactly. I did not say that obeying the limit is bad. My point was that the best traffic flow is one where everyone is working together regardless of speed to allow faster drivers to get by and the faster drivers working to not encroach the slower. that means that at some point, it's best for the slower ones to speed up a bit, and the faster ones to slow down. Being aware of traffic in a huge bubble around you and planning accordingly is better than blindly picking a number and sticking to it. Blindly performing the perfect waltz on the dance floor while ignoring others dancing doesn't always work.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's a crock of cow patty. The only reason they are "far more dangerous" is because people get impatient, tailgate, push, cut off in a fit of rage because someone dare to stay the speed limit. If folks just grow some patience and stop thinking everyone needs to go their blazing speed or get the hell out of the way our road would be far more safe.

No actually...it's a very well documented fact an facet of roadway design and safety analyses. Your own ignorance of the subject does not change that.