I'm not saying Happy Holidays!

tater

What makes me mad is that when you work in retail they don't want you to say Merry Christmas you need to say Happy Holidays so you don't offend anyone. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population celebrates christmas but I'm supposed to not say it so I don't offend the other 10%.

Well you know what?
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Who is it that has the AV that says "America, the only Nation where the minority oppresses the majority?" :yay:

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Ya know, this has never offended me to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. When I buy cards to send out, I always buy the ones that say "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays!" I sign my cards with "Happy Holidays!"

90% is a bit high to assume that they are the ones who celebrate Christmas... I'd say you're probably closer to a 60/40 split.

I don't remember what talk show I saw this one but they were tallking about this and said that 84% of Americans celebrate Christmas as the celebration of the birth of Christ. They went on to say that not all of these 84% actually go to church every Sunday but they were raised to beleive, still believe but just don't bother to practice.

These numbers may not seem right in an area like MD where there is so much diversity but from what I've seen traveling around, Christianity certainly shows its presense in better parts fo the country.

What's interesting is that the term "Merry Christmas" never seems to bother our Jewish neighbors. They are generally raised in a manner to respect Christians and they understand the importance of the holiday to us. As a matter of fact, it doesn't really seem to bother Muslims either, although I really don't know any personally.

It seems to bother the atheists, wiccans and people like that. Here's what percentage I'd like to know. Survey all the witches and atheists to see how many were actually raised in some type of Christian family or actually used to celebrate Christ's birthday. I would think most were but rebelled for some reason or another. Too many rules. Didn't want to get up early on Sunday. Didn't make them feel good.

We also make sure our cards say Merry Christmas on them and not Happy Holidays. After all HE is the reason for the season.

Last edited:

Gwydion

I find it hard to believe that the biggest ax Christians have to grind is whether someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

Christmas is one day. The holidays is the whole season, from Thanksgiving to New Years. Is it not possible that they wish you good cheer for not only the one day, but the whole shebang? *Must* it be an attack on Jesus?

:rolleyes:

Aye! I always found "Merry Christmas" to be quite an idiotic statement unless it was on Dec. 25.

And even "Have a Merry Christmas" is relatively worthless as well. I enjoy the holiday season. Christmas is one perk inside a near universal season of joy and happiness.

And I just can't wait til the terminally ill patient who is going to die on Dec 24 sues the hell out of some store for wishing them a merry day on the day that they won't see for unwelcome stress.

K

kris31280

I don't remember what talk show I saw this one but they were tallking about this and said that 84% of Americans celebrate Christmas as the celebration of the birth of Christ. They went on to say that not all of these 84% actually go to church every Sunday but they were raised to beleive, still believe but just don't bother to practice.

These numbers may not seem right in an area like MD where there is so much diversity but from what I've seen traveling around, Christianity certainly shows its presense in better parts fo the country.

What's interesting is that the term "Merry Christmas" never seems to bother our Jewish neighbors. They are generally raised in a manner to respect Christians and they understand the importance of the holiday to us. As a matter of fact, it doesn't really seem to bother Muslims either, although I really don't know any personally.

It seems to bother the atheists, wiccans and people like that. Here's what percentage I'd like to know. Survey all the witches and atheists to see how many were actually raised in some type of Christian family or actually used to celebrate Christ's birthday. I would think most were but rebelled for some reason or another. Too many rules. Didn't want to get up early on Sunday. Didn't make them feel good.

We also make sure our cards say Merry Christmas on them and not Happy Holidays. After all HE is the reason for the season.
I won't trash your beliefs, don't trash mine. It's a respect issue. If you must trash my beliefs, please do it in the proper section of the forum so everyone doesn't have to read religious debates.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
I won't trash your beliefs, don't trash mine. It's a respect issue. If you must trash my beliefs, please do it in the proper section of the forum so everyone doesn't have to read religious debates.

I didn't trash your beliefs. I obvioulsy got under your skin a little. Merry Christmas and God Bless You !

KRIS.....:elaine:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Stereotype much?

I didn't reject religion because there were too many rules - I live my life in a more ethical and moral manner than most Christians I know. I rejected it because it's ridiculous to think that there's some old man in the sky who watches after all of us, yet allows such horrible things to happen. That God cares so much about a single person that he will send an angel down to protect them, yet allows thousands of children to die every day of starvation, to be molested or beaten to death.

You hear Christians all the time saying that God was watching out for them, or an angel was sent to protect them. So where was God when Caylee Anthony was left to die in the trunk of her mother's car? And where was he when Danielle van Dam, Polly Klaas, Samantha Runion, etc, etc, etc, were being abused and killed? Why would God care if one person had a car accident, but turn away when a child is taken from her home, beaten, raped and killed?

It's ridiculous.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Stereotype much?

I didn't reject religion because there were too many rules - I live my life in a more ethical and moral manner than most Christians I know. I rejected it because it's ridiculous to think that there's some old man in the sky who watches after all of us, yet allows such horrible things to happen. That God cares so much about a single person that he will send an angel down to protect them, yet allows thousands of children to die every day of starvation, to be molested or beaten to death.

You hear Christians all the time saying that God was watching out for them, or an angel was sent to protect them. So where was God when Caylee Anthony was left to die in the trunk of her mother's car? And where was he when Danielle van Dam, Polly Klaas, Samantha Runion, etc, etc, etc, were being abused and killed? Why would God care if one person had a car accident, but turn away when a child is taken from her home, beaten, raped and killed?

It's ridiculous.

So, I guess we'll put you in with the 16% who know better. It all started when God gave us "free will, " but there's no reason to go into all that here.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Kris, shut up and get out of here if you don't like the conversation.

Some people, like myself, enjoy religious debates and we're not all here to entertain you solely and make sure you're not bored.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, I guess we'll put you in with the 16% who know better. It all started when God gave us "free will, " but there's no reason to go into all that here.
Know better than what?

Was it Jessica Lundsford's "free will" that made her get abducted by that crazy man, held hostage for days, then raped and murdered? Why didn't God protect her?

K

kris31280

I didn't trash your beliefs. I obvioulsy got under your skin a little. Merry Christmas and God Bless You !

KRIS.....:elaine:

The only thing that got under my skin is the same thing that gets under my skin on a constant basis... when people go well out of their way to not only vocalize but enforce their religious beliefs on other people.

Kris, shut up and get out of here if you don't like the conversation.

Some people, like myself, enjoy religious debates and we're not all here to entertain you solely and make sure you're not bored.

I have no problem with the conversation, I have a problem with the issue of the location of the conversation... I'm pretty sure the last thing people want to read when scanning the headlines about Life in Southern Maryland is a full out religious debate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have no problem with the conversation, I have a problem with the issue of the location of the conversation... I'm pretty sure the last thing people want to read when scanning the headlines about Life in Southern Maryland is a full out religious debate.

What was it Jet said? For every you, there are a thousand not-yous?

You probably think I care about whatever "problem" you have with location of threads, but you would be mistaken.

K

kris31280

What was it Jet said? For every you, there are a thousand not-yous?

You probably think I care about whatever "problem" you have with location of threads, but you would be mistaken.
Yeah, pretty sure you don't. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, Vrai.

fairykisses

I work in Retail and I always say Happy Hoildays and Merry Christmas. If they want to fire me over that then so be it. It called free speech and even the people who shop there wish me a Merry Christmas and a safe happy hoilday. Don't give up on your belif. This is the season to be jolly. So MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!:buddies:

D1VA

I work in Retail and I always say Happy Hoildays and Merry Christmas. If they want to fire me over that then so be it. It called free speech and even the people who shop there wish me a Merry Christmas and a safe happy hoilday. Don't give up on your belif. This is the season to be jolly. So MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!:buddies:

AMEN!!
Do you work at WalMart? I notice that the philippine ladies/girls there say Holiday. When I say Merry Christmas back, the one lady got offended byme. Whatever. It drives me crazy!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Ya know, this has never offended me to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. When I buy cards to send out, I always buy the ones that say "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays!" I sign my cards with "Happy Holidays!"
This statement clearly shows that you are NOT forced to believe anything you don't want to so give up the whiny face toots!
The only thing that got under my skin is the same thing that gets under my skin on a constant basis... when people go well out of their way to not only vocalize but enforce their religious beliefs on other people.
"....Enforce their religious beliefs on other people"?? You just said you have a choice so what's the problem? I'll tell you: it's your conscience TRYING to let you know something's wrong. I can't make you believe anything you don't want to so cut the crap lady. You can tell me all day long that what you believe is right and I am wrong but it won't change my beliefs so get over it.
Kris31280 said:
"Pretty sure" you say? Don't bet any of your money on it. The OP might have been able to choose a better category but it IS about life in SoMd.

ocean733

AMEN!!
Do you work at WalMart? I notice that the philippine ladies/girls there say Holiday. When I say Merry Christmas back, the one lady got offended byme. Whatever. It drives me crazy!

One of my dearest friends is Phillipino (sp?) and I buy her a small gift for Xmas every year. She celebrates it (with her American husband)

get4real

U-WISHHH

That's exactly right. I also saw a comment saying we're lucky they say anything at all even if it is happy holidays. It doesn't bother me when people say Happy Holiday especially when they are at work. I know that most of them want to say Merry Christmas but are told not to.

My whole point was that I shouldn't be told that I can't say Merry Christmas because I might offend someone when that is what I celebrate. Happy Holidays covers a broad range of things and when it's the christmas season i'm going to say Merry Christmas. I have respect for other religions and I have jewish friends and they do tell me Merry Christmas. It's the uptight loonies that complain about everything. I saw on the news about some nut complaining about how she doesnt want her daughters school to have a play involving rudolph. It's just getting out of hand.