I'm not saying Happy Holidays!

BOP

I find it hard to believe that the biggest ax Christians have to grind is whether someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

Christmas is one day. The holidays is the whole season, from Thanksgiving to New Years. Is it not possible that they wish you good cheer for not only the one day, but the whole shebang? *Must* it be an attack on Jesus?

:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Especially since Jesus himself was all about inclusiveness. Too bad his so-called followers can't find that generosity of spirit in their own lives.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
because I want to say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays.

And my point is that you can say Merry Christmas all you want in your personal life, but if you are working with the public and your employer would like you to include ALL of your customers in your greeting, then you should do what they want you to do.

As far as clerks saying Happy Holidays to you instead of Merry Christmas, are they supposed to ask what religion you are before they greet you? And how does it hurt you to be wished a happy holiday instead of a merry Christmas?

I truly get tired of people casting around for something to raise a stink about.

lbreder

2into4
Where I work I answer phones and tell people as I see them "Happy Holidays!". Whatever they celebrate is there choice and Im just letting them know to whatever they do make it happy. This shouldnt even be an argument or an issue. People say what they want or what there company wants them to say. Im not told what to say as far as this matter I just thought I would say something rather than nothing at all. This seems so petty, but I do hope no matter who celebrates what or doesnt...Have a safe happy, and blessed Holiday!

And my point is that you can say Merry Christmas all you want in your personal life, but if you are working with the public and your employer would like you to include ALL of your customers in your greeting, then you should do what they want you to do.

As far as clerks saying Happy Holidays to you instead of Merry Christmas, are they supposed to ask what religion you are before they greet you? And how does it hurt you to be wished a happy holiday instead of a merry Christmas?

I truly get tired of people casting around for something to raise a stink about.

The employers should have them say something that reflects their true sentiments, like, "thanks for spending money here".

:lol:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Let us know who this employer is. They can tell you what to say, but they can't force anyone to shop there. Merry Christmas.

why, should we not shop somewhere because they're trying to be politically correct? :bonk:

This goes back to the other thread about why other people celebrate xmas that aren't christian. If you guys don't want other people celebrating it, then Happy Holidays is the way to go. If you think it's an American holiday, then by all means...say merry christmas! But shove it up your ass if you don't want other people celebrating it but still insist on telling EVERYONE merry christmas. You can't have it both ways. It's either a religious holiday, meaning it's inappropriate to make it generic, or it's an American holiday, which means being generic is A-ok.

It's actually funny how silly you people can be about something like this. Nobody tells me "Happy Chanukah" when I'm out shopping. Does that offend me? Not in the least. They tell me "Happy Holidays" and I'm just fine. If they say merry christmas...well I couldn't give a rats ass, but it's rude for them to not be accomodating (and if it's a waitress, I'd consider reducing tip if I'm borderline on the rest of the service provided). So all of us Jews, Muslims, African Americans (Kwanza), and other random religions...we don't care if you don't say happy hanukah, jolly kwanza, or whatever...yet you guys freak out when someone doesn't wish u a merry xmas? Get over yourself!

But to the original topic...if your employer tells you to do something, you do it. If you don't want to, you can either argue with them or find yourself a different job. It's their business, not yours. They're the ones losing customers and money, not you. So you do what they tell you to since you're nothing more than their peon. :yay:

Tomcat

Anytime
A friend was asked to leave Walmart the other day for insisting he wanted "Christmas" lights not holiday lights.
Another friend at Lowes was told not to say "Merry Christmas" , as she was standing underneath the nativity scene for sale???:whistle:

Should we re-write all the "Christmas" songs so they can be PC and played on the radio without offending anyone?
"We wish you a happy holiday, we wish you a happy holiday, and a happy new year"
"I dreaming of a generic color holiday"

MERRY CHRISTMAS

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A friend was asked to leave Walmart the other day for insisting he wanted "Christmas" lights not holiday lights.
Another friend at Lowes was told not to say "Merry Christmas" , as she was standing underneath the nativity scene for sale???

Sorry. I don't believe for one second that your friend asked for Christmas lights and was kicked out of Wal-Mart. That story doesn't even sound remotely credible. More than likely he had a huge fit about them being called "holiday" lights and that is why he was asked to leave.

And the nativity Merry Christmas person? Was this a customer? So you're trying to pretend that some customer said Merry Christmas at the Lowes and a...what?...employee?..manager?... told them not to say it??

:bs:

Tomcat

Anytime
Sorry. I don't believe for one second that your friend asked for Christmas lights and was kicked out of Wal-Mart. That story doesn't even sound remotely credible. More than likely he had a huge fit about them being called "holiday" lights and that is why he was asked to leave.

And the nativity Merry Christmas person? Was this a customer? So you're trying to pretend that some customer said Merry Christmas at the Lowes and a...what?...employee?..manager?... told them not to say it??

:bs:

He got quite vocal about it.

An employee at Lowes was told not to say "Merry Christmas" She was telling me about it while standing beneath the display.

Cowgirl

An employee at Lowes was told not to say "Merry Christmas" She was telling me about it while standing beneath the display.

And the truth comes out... Your friend was a loudmouthed jerk, and your other friend wasn't following her employer's instructions.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Oh noesz! How dare Lowes be inclusive of all their customers of all different orientations and religions other than just Christians. :cds:

get4real

U-WISHHH
:cds: :cds: :cds:
Lighten up would you lady!!? Why all the drama? The point I'm making that you missed was that, in trying not to offend anyone, they've offended almost everyone by trying to be PC.
You're all for free speech, what's the problem? There are laws against employers discriminating against people's "religious" beliefs. I think that's where get4real was going with this one.

QUOTE]

That is exactly what i'm trying to say.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Perhaps it is just me but I have noticed since the beautiful full moon the other night, that the forums have gotten a bit wired with many of us becoming short-tempered or intolerant of others' opinions (including myself as I've been cranky too!). Perhaps we should all just agree to disagree on this issue and go forth and spread some "holiday" cheer (pick your own holiday & greeting here).

Of course, that would totally kill this thread and I seem to be getting pretty good at doing that (unintentional really) so, since I am home with a sick child and enjoy the entertainment here, never mind & carry on!

(You can hit me with the "smiley smack" now....) :coffee:

get4real

U-WISHHH

You are misreading into what I am saying. I am not mad or upset when someone says Happy Holidays to me. It's nice to have people say festive things at all. Usually you get the receipt and they start with the next person before you can say anthing. All I'm saying is that I am going to say Merry Christmas. If I offend someone I will gladly apologize but the majority of the population celebrates christmas.

People overreact way to easily. Next think you know they will start taking Santa Claus out of the mall.

Cowgirl

:cds: :cds: :cds:
Lighten up would you lady!!? Why all the drama? The point I'm making that you missed was that, in trying not to offend anyone, they've offended almost everyone by trying to be PC.
You're all for free speech, what's the problem? There are laws against employers discriminating against people's "religious" beliefs. I think that's where get4real was going with this one.

That is exactly what i'm trying to say.

How is saying happy holidays offending anyone? How is including ALL holidays (instead of just picking one and excluding others) a bad thing? How is this discrimination when it includes ALL holidays? If an employer wants employees to include ALL holidays, how is it religious discrimination?

get4real

U-WISHHH
How is saying happy holidays offending anyone? How is including ALL holidays (instead of just picking one and excluding others) a bad thing? How is this discrimination when it includes ALL holidays? If an employer wants employees to include ALL holidays, how is it religious discrimination?

I'm not saying anything about religion. I don't care who decides to celebrate christmas. I do have my religious beliefs behind it but I don't force religious beliefs on anyone. I respect everyone for believing there own thing. I know people who are not christians that celebrate christmas and AGAIN, I have nothing against people telling me Happy Holidays. And I can say that out of my 28 years of saying Merry Christmas I may have had 2 people tell me they didn't celebrate christmas.

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to start an argument thread at all. I'm just noticing how times have changed ALOT from when I was a kid.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Perhaps it is just me but I have noticed since the beautiful full moon the other night, that the forums have gotten a bit wired with many of us becoming short-tempered or intolerant of others' opinions (including myself as I've been cranky too!). Perhaps we should all just agree to disagree on this issue and go forth and spread some "holiday" cheer (pick your own holiday & greeting here).

Of course, that would totally kill this thread and I seem to be getting pretty good at doing that (unintentional really) so, since I am home with a sick child and enjoy the entertainment here, never mind & carry on!

(You can hit me with the "smiley smack" now....) :coffee:
by saying "holiday" cheer you took a side. That's exactly what the argument is about! See why it's so silly :smile:

You are misreading into what I am saying. I am not mad or upset when someone says Happy Holidays to me. It's nice to have people say festive things at all. Usually you get the receipt and they start with the next person before you can say anthing. All I'm saying is that I am going to say Merry Christmas. If I offend someone I will gladly apologize but the majority of the population celebrates christmas.

People overreact way to easily. Next think you know they will start taking Santa Claus out of the mall.
vrai didn't misread anything. I read her quote, read your response, and it seems like you just don't get what she's saying. Your saying merry christmas is the part that's being rude...to both your customer and your employer. Since you can't ask for everyone's religion (from what vrai said), you should just do an all inclusive, instead of insulting some of your customers. Do you expect them to start #####ing you out and saying "HOW RUDE"? More likely, they'll either ignore it or make a stupid face, then not shop there again. Which is why, if you're going to do that, you should argue that point with your employer...so he can fire you and find someone who will do what he asks his employees to do. Or who knows, maybe they'd be ok with it. But disregarding it entirely is stupid and rude.

:yeahthat: it's not discrimination. anyone who thinks saying "happy holidays" is discrimination is ridiculous...or maybe athiest or something where they aren't celebrating any holidays.

I'm not saying anything about religion. I don't care who decides to celebrate christmas. I do have my religious beliefs behind it but I don't force religious beliefs on anyone. I respect everyone for believing there own thing. I know people who are not christians that celebrate christmas and AGAIN, I have nothing against people telling me Happy Holidays. And I can say that out of my 28 years of saying Merry Christmas I may have had 2 people tell me they didn't celebrate christmas.

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to start an argument thread at all. I'm just noticing how times have changed ALOT from when I was a kid.
Ummm...you're forcing your religious beliefs on people by saying Merry Christmas. If it's not their holiday and you're not trying to force your holiday on them, then why are you wishing them a merry christmas? Most people aren't going to tell you they don't celebrate christmas...they are just going to quietly curse you or think that you're rude or ignorant. The fact that you're insisting on saying Merry Christmas over Happy Holidays means you are very much making it about religion and forcing it on them, whether you want to realize it or not.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

instead of saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" lets just say "Season's Greetings"

There, issue disolved. :diva: