Incompetence defined

Chris0nllyn

I've always heard them call themselves Puerto Ricans, never Americans. They also have a strong national identity that is not American.

You might want to look up what it means to be an "unincorporated territory".

All persons born in Puerto Rico on or after April 11, 1899, and prior to January 13, 1941, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, residing on January 13, 1941, in Puerto Rico or other territory over which the United States exercises rights of sovereignty and not citizens of the United States under any other Act, are declared to be citizens of the United States as of January 13, 1941. All persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, are citizens of the United States at birth.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1402

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've always heard them call themselves Puerto Ricans, never Americans. They also have a strong national identity that is not American.

It does not matter how they see themselves. The only thing that matters is how Chris wants to define them. See how that works?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Legally speaking, they are American citizens. Like I said. You should focus more on reading and less on "gotchas".

My understanding is that unincorporated territories enjoy some, but not all, rights under our Constitution. Feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

But that is neither here nor there. Puerto Ricans do differentiate themselves from those living in the US. It's not merely a race thing, it is a cultural thing and they do have a very strong national identity in PR.

Sapidus

Oh the horror of having a strong national identity. Tell that to the millions of Puerto ricans, Koreans, chinese, Irish, living in america. Who knew we are supposed to give up our identity to be "american"

Rommey

The US's bond rating dropped in 2011 and the reasons behind the drop have yet to change. Back in June, Illinois became the worst state (shocker) with a bond rating of BBB.

Given that bond ratings essentially rate credit risk, and the fact that our debt keeps growing, a plan to reduce taxes (thus, revenue), and loads of unfunded pensions, failing Social Security, and failing Medicare as examples, I think it's silly to buy US bonds. What's the definition of insanity?
A huge difference between the Federal government, PR and any of the 50 states, is that the Federal Government can print more money and go farther in debt because apparently no amount of trillions is too much to be in debt. States don't have that luxury...they have to essentially live within their means, which most do within reason (i.e., manageable debt).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You did. You said the have a strong national identity which is not American.

I doubt you know many Puerto ricans

I do though!..including one of my oldest friends. He, his family and his PR friends very obviously have a very strong "national identity" ad Puerto Ricans. Fiercely so, even.

He's the guy that I get all the first-hand reports of what's happening down there from.

Chris0nllyn

I read very carefully your attempted rebuttal of Vrai's post. ;-)

Okay, good. So it's your lack of comprehension then. As evidenced by your idea my post was a "rebuttal" and not a simple statement of fact.

My understanding is that unincorporated territories enjoy some, but not all, rights under our Constitution. Feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

But that is neither here nor there. Puerto Ricans do differentiate themselves from those living in the US. It's not merely a race thing, it is a cultural thing and they do have a very strong national identity in PR.

You are correct.

I'm not doubting they call themselves Puerto Ricans or have strong identity, just that their citizens are considered Americans. You asked when they became a state. They didn't, but are still Americans (albeit with limited Constitutionals rights).