Is Chesapeake Hills closing?

smoothmarine187

I wonder who they going to sell it too?? QBH or Marrick??
We don't need anymore homes in this area. I can't believe we are going to lose the golf course to a builder.. All you Golfer shoud roit!!

I think Smooth need to buy the course!! Nevermind!! Hell just turn the clubhouse into a gentlemen's club and have half naked girls as caddies! Bad suggestion! LOL :whistle:

I will send you an application form :evil:

Pushrod

Patriot
Nope, it is not closing. It has been sold to the county, and earlier rumours were that housing was going to be built there, but that is not true. The golf course is going to continue functioning and maybe with better management begin to make some money. Oh, and the greens are finally in half way decent shape.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nope, it is not closing. It has been sold to the county, and earlier rumours were that housing was going to be built there, but that is not true. The golf course is going to continue functioning and maybe with better management begin to make some money. Oh, and the greens are finally in half way decent shape.

Wasn't it sold to the county a few years ago :confused:

mrgolf58

This has been a misconception since day one. The county has never invested a cent to the operations of Chesapeake Hills. The only thing that the county pays for is the debt service of the bonds which were sold to the current owner, MEDCO, who they are working with over at the Business Park. The golf course is not closing unless the current owner decides to close it down. The county is considering purchasing the facility and exploring options such as making it a park or leaving it as a golf course.

:yeahthat: I thought the county bailed them out when new owners took over. Guess they never made it out of the red.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Maybe CC Rec & Parks and the BOCC need to explore how successful municipal golf courses are run in other areas of the state/region. Isn't Wicomico Shores pretty much a self sufficient operation? (Other than the clubhouse rehab/build.) If the course wasn't surrounded by tract housing then maybe it would stand a better chance as a source of income. Personally I think there is a big revenue producer in the clubhouse that is not being properly used, and I'm sure that Ott, Pete and others will agree.

mrgolf58

All of the old parts of the clubhouse are condemned, been that way since 2002. Bottom line, a golf course needs to do roughly 30,000 rounds a year to break even. CH does a little under 24k. The reason for the poor performance has nothing to do with the management of the property, rather the poor condition of the golf course as a result of no working capital and years of neglect. The golf course has shown that it can make money, going from a $200k deficit in June 2007 to a current deficit of $30k. We're on the right track, just need an owner who is willing to put money in for operating as a normal golf course should.

kom526

Can the clubhouse be rehabbed or does it have to be a ground rebuild? If the new owners or county could get that going as a restaurant or meeting space there could be a lot of potential there.

mrgolf58

It would require a ground up rebuild. The cost difference between renovating and building a new, two story facility, would be about the same. One plan on the tables is a new two story clubhouse with a banquet facility on the top floor able to seat at least 300 people with full views of the golf course. This plan also includes moving the range back (it's too short now) and creating an enlosed teeing area with several heaters for winter time hitting. This plan would create a great place to hold weddings and parties in Calvert County and would also generate more revenue from the range.

Can the clubhouse be rehabbed or does it have to be a ground rebuild? If the new owners or county could get that going as a restaurant or meeting space there could be a lot of potential there.

kom526

Accurate yardage markers and real grass hitting area would be nice, an area where you can practice chipping and bunker play would be cool too.

Pete

Repete
Accurate yardage markers and real grass hitting area would be nice, an area where you can practice chipping and bunker play would be cool too.

Real grass? If they did that hackers like you would just come and gouge it up with your divot makers.

:lmao: :huggy: <-----not in a ghey way

kom526

Real grass? If they did that hackers like you would just come and gouge it up with your divot makers.

:lmao: :huggy: <-----not in a ghey way
Dear Pete,
Just you wait until the next time. "SoMD Open '08: The Wrath of Kom"

Sincerely,
kom526

mrgolf58

Exactly. Where around here can you truly practice your game? The top area of the range (the part that would be enclosed) would be on synthetic mats. The bottom tee would be the spring and summer teeing area as well as the teaching tee. This would be resodded with Bent Grass and would provide an excellent hitting surface. Target Greens and yardage markers would be nice too. The short game area would be relocated to the open area between the 9th green and the 1st tee and would include two sand traps, a large practice green with at least 15 cups, closely mown chipping areas and higher rough chipping areas. Should be very nice.

tommyjones

they need a way to stop the transients from crossing the course too.

also, serious help is needed on the course, and if they dropped their fees a little they might capture those like me who would rather go play somewhere nice for about the same price.

mrgolf58

Agree, the neighbors are a problem. Would be hard to stop that without miles of fencing.

CH is the cheapest golf course within 30 miles. It's rates are almost as low as Wicomico. Where do you play cheaper than $25-$30? Have you played the course in the last 3 months? The greens are in good shape, fairways are nice. Tees suck, but they have always sucked and you can use a tee. The most expensive round of golf at CH is $39. That's weekend morning with cart. Where other than Wicomico and Melomar can you play that cheap?

also, serious help is needed on the course, and if they dropped their fees a little they might capture those like me who would rather go play somewhere nice for about the same price.

willie

The new grounds-keeper is providing that serious help. He is always out on the course and is not afraid of getting his hands dirty.

tommyjones

Agree, the neighbors are a problem. Would be hard to stop that without miles of fencing.

CH is the cheapest golf course within 30 miles. It's rates are almost as low as Wicomico. Where do you play cheaper than $25-$30? Have you played the course in the last 3 months? The greens are in good shape, fairways are nice. Tees suck, but they have always sucked and you can use a tee. The most expensive round of golf at CH is $39. That's weekend morning with cart. Where other than Wicomico and Melomar can you play that cheap?

i haven't played there since we called the clubhouse to complain about a 6-some in front of us on a sunday. The guy at the proshop said "if you don't like it you dont have to come back"

I wont

besides, the only improvments i had seen last time i was there were cosmetic.
and i usually play the base, but i would drive to wicc if i had to to aviod CH

willie

i haven't played there since we called the clubhouse to complain about a 6-some in front of us on a sunday. The guy at the proshop said "if you don't like it you dont have to come back"
You're leaving out the part about why they don't want you back.