Law Didn't Change Anything

meddauna

Which begs the question that no one seems to be able to satisfactorily answer: Why does the act of holding something in your hand make it more dangerous to drive? You're still talking to someone else, you're just not holding something in your hand. By this logic, holding a pen in your hand while talking to a passenger is as unsafe as talking on a cell phone. Don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that drivers seem to drop 10mph whenever they use a cell phone; I just think that the idea of not holding it in your hand makes some sort of difference is ludicrous.

well, a couple things happen.

first is, there is a significant difference between talking on the phone and talking to someone else in the car. when you're talking to someone else in the car, they react to road conditions. if there was a thing (deer/person/etc) in the road, they see it also and stop talking so you have 100% concentration ont he problem or yell at you to "look out" if you don't see it immediately. when you're talking on the phone, the person at the other end doesn't react and stop talking, so you can't focus 100% on the problem.

another thing that usually happens when you hold a phone is your hand and/or phone will block part of your peripheral vision so you may not see something you normally see.

Tomcat

Anytime
I was the first in line at Route 235 and Chancellors Run Road the other day, headed south at the red light. I did a little traffic study for the heck of it. Every 7 out of 10 cars, folks were on their cell phone. 4 out of 10 did not have seat belts on.

If you are ever first in line yourself, try it out. I hope your results are better than mine.

Was one of them a State Trooper in an umarked car? The same one I watched talking on his cell phone in hand the other day on Sotterley Rd?

BernieP

Resident PIA
You said, 'on their cell phone.' For clarification; were they texting or talking?

Since I am not a "texter", I will sound dumb and ask; does this 'new law' prohibit ALL cell use while driving; or does it only specifically ban texting while driving?

ALL hand held use. You can only use your phone with a hands free system (bluetooth) but not with an ear piece. You can text, talk, surf or do email as long as both hands are on the wheel :)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
It's not that holding something (such as a phone) is distracting. It's the actual conversation/engagement that causes a driver to focus their attention away from the road. At least that's my opinion.

BernieP

Resident PIA
well, a couple things happen.

first is, there is a significant difference between talking on the phone and talking to someone else in the car. when you're talking to someone else in the car, they react to road conditions. if there was a thing (deer/person/etc) in the road, they see it also and stop talking so you have 100% concentration ont he problem or yell at you to "look out" if you don't see it immediately. when you're talking on the phone, the person at the other end doesn't react and stop talking, so you can't focus 100% on the problem.

another thing that usually happens when you hold a phone is your hand and/or phone will block part of your peripheral vision so you may not see something you normally see.

There are people out there who I refer to as oblivians. I've seen people in an animated discussion in cars to the point they didn't have their hands on the wheel (even though they were talking to the perosn next to them). I've seen drivers talking to people in the back seat. If they aren't talking, they are singing. They are simply oblivious to what is going on around them.
Doesn't matter what they have in their hand, there is always something that will distract them from the road.
But as we learned in a thread yesterday, there isn't a law against stupid.

It's not that holding something (such as a phone) is distracting. It's the actual conversation/engagement that causes a driver to focus their attention away from the road. At least that's my opinion.
Sorry, didn't see this, very well said.

ReadingTheNews

:yeahthat:

And as for distractions, maybe there should be a law about transporting babies in a vehicle. I was rear-ended by a woman who was driving with her twin babies. She said they had started "fussing and crying", and was clearly distracted by them.

:elaine:

camily

Peace
I didn't see a change either with the law in place. I see more and more kids with a cigarette or coffee in one hand and texting away with the other, some using thier knee to hold the wheel...oh that's right they're invincible.

I love the Ford Sync/nav system in both our cars, push a button and "say a command"!

I have the SYNC as well in my new Focus. It is the best thing EVER. Love it!

I go driving (besides the necessity to get to work) to get away from everything and tune out the world. The last thing I want to do while driving is talk to someone who isn't there. I like driving simply for the sake of driving and the relaxation and enjoyment I get from it. My phone is turned off or out of reach.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I was the first in line at Route 235 and Chancellors Run Road the other day, headed south at the red light. I did a little traffic study for the heck of it. Every 7 out of 10 cars, folks were on their cell phone. 4 out of 10 did not have seat belts on.

If you are ever first in line yourself, try it out. I hope your results are better than mine.

Talking on the phone while driving is not a primary offense. People know this and they can talk all they want as long as they aren't speeding.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I sing all the time in the car. What's wrong with that? It is possible to sing and drive at the same time.

So what, if it makes other drivers that see you, laugh at you. Since they're looking anyway; get into it; make the faces that the singers make when THEY sing. :shrug: What's that song?....."Bob That Head".....(it's a song, trust me).

betty99

So what, if it makes other drivers that see you, laugh at you. Since they're looking anyway; get into it; make the faces that the singers make when THEY sing. :shrug:

I couldn't agree more. I will sing with the top down, and direct it to other people when stopped at lights. Spread the joy!:singer:

BOP

ALL hand held use. You can only use your phone with a hands free system (bluetooth) but not with an ear piece. You can text, talk, surf or do email as long as both hands are on the wheel :)

Next up: keyboards embedded in steering wheels. Remember: you heard it here first!

:yahoo:

BOP

I sing all the time in the car. What's wrong with that? It is possible to sing and drive at the same time.

The rest of us would appreciate it if you'd put down the sheet music whilst making like an opera singer.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It's the actual conversation/engagement that causes a driver to focus their attention away from the road. At least that's my opinion.

They're focused on someone not present in the car which decreases the driver's awareness of his surroundings

Irrational/illogical behavior isnt always driven by texting/talking, but thats the way to bet. I was following a guy down GMR the other day, about the pace traffic flows on there, about 45ish. Suddenly he drops down by about 7-8mph.

I normally drive 5-8 mph over the limit. I despise the cell phone law and won't obey it as long as I can afford not to. Since the law is a secondary offense and I want to avoid fines, I'll drop my speed down to the limit before answering the phone. My apologies in advance to those that I inconvenience.

P.S. It wasn't me.

STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE INTERSECTION UNLESS THERE IS ROOM ON THE FAR SIDE!!!!!!!. :killingme

Amen!