Law Didn't Change Anything

glhs837

Power with Control
I normally drive 5-8 mph over the limit. I despise the cell phone law and won't obey it as long as I can afford not to. Since the law is a secondary offense and I want to avoid fines, I'll drop my speed down to the limit before answering the phone. My apologies in advance to those that I inconvenience.

P.S. It wasn't me.

Amen!

Just a protip for ya, very few officers would pull anyone over for anything less than 10mph over. Some would, but not very many, like under %5, I would say.

Cowgirl

Just a protip for ya, very few officers would pull anyone over for anything less than 10mph over. Some would, but not very many, like under %5, I would say.

I'm willing to bet they'd pull someone over for doing 1 mph over if that person was on his/her phone.

bulldog

:yeahthat:

And as for distractions, maybe there should be a law about transporting babies in a vehicle. I was rear-ended by a woman who was driving with her twin babies. She said they had started "fussing and crying", and was clearly distracted by them.

:elaine:

I was behind an SUV today and the lady driving was turning around spooning ice cream into her kids pie hole while she was driving.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was behind an SUV today and the lady driving was turning around spooning ice cream into her kids pie hole while she was driving.

there is no law against that, or putting make on, or smoking (and jumping when a hot ash lands in your lap), or any number of things that can (and do) distract drivers. (Yes, you, you fat blob with the Sonic milkshake in one hand and the greasey burger in the other, we're talking about you).

j/k

there is no law against that, or putting make on, or smoking (and jumping when a hot ash lands in your lap), or any number of things that can (and do) distract drivers. (Yes, you, you fat blob with the Sonic milkshake in one hand and the greasey burger in the other, we're talking about you).

j/k

I want to know where he got the Sonic milkshake!

But seriously, I thought I saw they were considering making yapping on your phone a primary offense.

More restrictions in works for cell phones

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I want to know where he got the Sonic milkshake!

But seriously, I thought I saw they were considering making yapping on your phone a primary offense.

More restrictions in works for cell phones

I thoght it was, just like the seatbelt law. Besides, if they want to write you a ticket, there isn't anything to stop them. Fact is traffic infractions are guilty until proven innocent. Very few people can prove they were within the speed limit.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If the law says you MUST give 100% of your time and attention to driving, and not doing so is a crime, then ANYTHING you do that interferes with driving can be punishable.

That seems a lot easier than outlawing hundreds of possible things people may do while driving. I'm sure that having sex and driving doesn't have a specific law, but I'm pretty sure it falls under an existing law KWIM? LOL.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Our society has become too busy. Multitasking is the norm anymore. Eating while driving is bad enough but feeding kids while driving; WTH? Not having time to apply make up in the morning? I would be scared of poking my eye out and would rather just not wear any! I have seen guys w/ electric razors shaving while driving, women painting their nails while driving.
Very few people have my cell # and if I do receive an important call, I usually take it and make it quick. It is not used to chat about the weather and what kind of cupcakes I am baking later on. Personally, I despise cell phones and would rather not have one. I enjoy the quiet time in my car and do not like to be distracted.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
If the world really ends in 2012 I truly believe it will not be a bad thing.

What has happened to us?

In the meanwhile, I will continue to drive defensively and will not text, apply makeup or talk while driving.

I will sing along to the occasional song on my FM radio. :lol:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Cupcakes ??!! Where ???? :whistle:

I think it's funny how people loved having caller-id at home on their land lines so they could avoid taking calls they didn't want, yet many of these same people will answer a cell call at inappropriate times regardless of who's calling LOL. You ever see how people panic and grab for their cell phone when it rings regardless of what they are doing? As if they HAVE to answer the phone? I've over-heard women answering their cell phone in bathroom stalls.

Our society has become too busy. Multitasking is the norm anymore. Eating while driving is bad enough but feeding kids while driving; WTH? Not having time to apply make up in the morning? I would be scared of poking my eye out and would rather just not wear any! I have seen guys w/ electric razors shaving while driving, women painting their nails while driving.
Very few people have my cell # and if I do receive an important call, I usually take it and make it quick. It is not used to chat about the weather and what kind of cupcakes I am baking later on. Personally, I despise cell phones and would rather not have one. I enjoy the quiet time in my car and do not like to be distracted.

royhobie

hobieflyer
You said, 'on their cell phone.' For clarification; were they texting or talking?

Since I am not a "texter", I will sound dumb and ask; does this 'new law' prohibit ALL cell use while driving; or does it only specifically ban texting while driving?

I saw both. Some were texting. Others were on the cell.