Litter Box for Dogs...

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
We have two pugs. I know some of you out there, EH, just don't like pugs but both of ours are very good with their house manners about the potty. My husband and I both work full time and some days they do not get to go outside until late.

When we got Neo, he was 8 weeks old and trained him by using puppy pads when we were not home during the day. Now we do not use puppy pads at all because both dogs know they are not allowed to go potty in the house and both are male dogs. Neither one has marked my house yet.

It is possible to have a small dog housetrained even if you work full time. My only suggestion is to make sure the puppy is gated somewhere with a designated area with a safe spot for it to go on when you are not there. We gate Neo and Morpheus in the kitchen so if there happens to be an accident, which is very rare, it is easily cleaned up.

Just thought I would share my experience with all of you.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by jwwb2000
We have two pugs. I know some of you out there, EH, just don't like pugs ...
I like all dogs, I just think pugs are ugly. Never said I didn't like them...

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by PFgal

Am I insane for even considering this option?....

Dog Litter Box

Thoughts....

Here's my $0.02.

If you have a rat-sized ankle-biter then this is a pretty good option if you can get them to go there.

If you have a normal sized to large dog, I think the loads would be too large, and therefore the stench would build to quickly.

Can you imagine a 200 lb St. Bernard or a 150 lb Lab taking a king-sized crap in this thing.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
When we got Neo, he was 8 weeks old and trained him by using puppy pads when we were not home during the day. Now we do not use puppy pads at all because both dogs know they are not allowed to go potty in the house and both are male dogs. Neither one has marked my house yet.

It is possible to have a small dog housetrained even if you work full time. My only suggestion is to make sure the puppy is gated somewhere with a designated area with a safe spot for it to go on when you are not there. We gate Neo and Morpheus in the kitchen so if there happens to be an accident, which is very rare, it is easily cleaned up.

Cool! How long are they left alone during the day? I could leave the pup in the kitchen with a pad as a 'safe spot'. We wouldn't put down a 'safe spot' when we're there, and would of course take her out often, etc...

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Litter Box for Dogs...

Originally posted by Toxick
Can you imagine a 200 lb St. Bernard or a 150 lb Lab taking a king-sized crap in this thing.

:killingme

Pugs are usually less than 20 pounds...so no king-sized craps at our house. :lmao:

I'm on the fence regarding the litter box anyway. If I could just confine the pooch to the kitchen daily and use puppy pads as a safe zone, there would be no need for a litter box. We'd prefer the animal to not use the litter box when we are there anyway, so it may just confuse her if we tried to use it part time.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Originally posted by PFgal
Cool! How long are they left alone during the day? I could leave the pup in the kitchen with a pad as a 'safe spot'. We wouldn't put down a 'safe spot' when we're there, and would of course take her out often, etc...

They are taken out around 6:30 in the morning and sometimes don't get to go back out until sometime after 5 pm. Both of them do great with this.

BTW--Neo is around 15 lbs and Morpheus is 18 lbs. They are done growing but may put on a little more weight. Just have to be careful and not overfeed them!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
They are taken out around 6:30 in the morning and sometimes don't get to go back out until sometime after 5 pm. Both of them do great with this.

Wow - that's pretty good. Do they have a lot of accidents??

We leave around 6:30am and return around 5:30.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
No. Maybe once in a blue moon and it will be poo. I would rather it be that b/c it is a lot easier to clean up.

J

justhangn

My Shephard is in the house from 6:30am to 5pm without a single accident.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Originally posted by justhangn
My Shephard is in the house from 6:30am to 5pm without a single accident.

I think larger breeds of dogs have a better way of holding it longer periods than smaller ones. But it all depends on the dog. Just my opinion though.

J

justhangn

I think larger breeds of dogs have a better way of holding it longer periods than smaller ones. But it all depends on the dog. Just my opinion though.

I would agree to that.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hey PF forget the Pugs you want him and he's already being trained..... :biggrin:

nitro1_2182.jpg

alex

My personnel choice is a bassett hound. They are great with kids and don't really drool as much as some bloodhounds I have owned. They are also low maintenance as far as exercise and are known to be great apartment dogs.

Whatever you choose the circle pen you mentioned can be a PITA. We got one for our latest bassett and she would move it around the kitchen. Which added double work to housebreaking. However it worked great outside. It helped us teach the dog what section of the yard we wanted it to use for a bathroom .

Toxick

Splat
Re: Speaking of loads...

Originally posted by *archimedes*
Did anyone else see that giant load in front of the Leonardtown Post Office before the snow storm? I think it was human.

That's just gross.

If it was human... who in the blue hell would drop trou in front of a post office on a main street and pinch one off? Even if you're prairie-dogging, there's a public toilet right up the street.

K

Kizzy

Re: Re: Speaking of loads...

Originally posted by Toxick
That's just gross.

If it was human... who in the blue hell would drop trou in front of a post office on a main street and pinch one off? Even if you're prairie-dogging, there's a public toilet right up the street.

:killingme

You are on a roll today Tox.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I have a litter box for my dog. She has a small bladder and can't hold it as long as bigger dogs. It took a while to get her used to it and trained, but she doesn't have any problems now. It's actually quite funny (and cute) to see her squatting in it. :biggrin: