Lt. Rice aquitted in Freddie Gray case

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Fortunately for who, the dead guy?

This citizen was a POS - we can agree on that. What about the next citizen who is NOT a POS? It's just fine for the government to kill people through negligence, or is it only ok to kill citizens who are POS? Just curious your thoughts.

It's OK to kill citizens who are a POS. There. I said it.

Can you let it go, now?

This_person

We can cross that bridge when we come to it.

So, like Bann, you're fine with the government negligently killing citizens so long as someone thinks they're a POS. Recall, TJ thinks YOU are a POS, and could very well be a cop - just food for thought.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Recall, TJ thinks YOU are a POS, and could very well be a cop - just food for thought.

Nah. TJ is madly in love with me...she just has a funny way of showing it. If we were still in 3rd grade, she'd punch me on the shoulder every time she walked by during recess. :razz:

officeguy

Fortunately for who, the dead guy?

This citizen was a POS - we can agree on that. What about the next citizen who is NOT a POS? It's just fine for the government to kill people through negligence, or is it only ok to kill citizens who are POS? Just curious your thoughts.

The non-POS citizen doesn't put up a fight with the cops so he won't get hog-tied. The non-POS citizen also slides up the bench as he is told to and sits with his back against the front partition.

But life is much more difficult if you are high.

This_person

The non-POS citizen doesn't put up a fight with the cops so he won't get hog-tied. The non-POS citizen also slides up the bench as he is told to and sits with his back against the front partition.

But life is much more difficult if you are high.

So, like Bann, if someone deems a person a POS, it's ok for the state to kill them through negligence in your view? We have different levels of constitutional protection - that for POS's and that for non-POS's?

This_person

That's just the narrative/interpretation part of it. They have yet to release the actual report with labwork, x-rays, photos and drawings. The state tried to put six men in prison using this report yet they are hiding it like its a state secret.

Well, of course, wherever it says something like "as you would see in..." that's clearly narrative, not quantitative. Do you suspect that the type of injury will be significantly different once you can review the scans? Was the narrative argued against in court? I understand the "rough ride" concept was never proven nor disproven, but I'm asking about the narrative of type of injury and what it would take for that to happen.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So, like Bann, you're fine with the government negligently killing citizens so long as someone thinks they're a POS. Recall, TJ thinks YOU are a POS, and could very well be a cop - just food for thought.

:deadhorse:

officeguy

So, like Bann, if someone deems a person a POS, it's ok for the state to kill them through negligence in your view? We have different levels of constitutional protection - that for POS's and that for non-POS's?

Mr Grays actions are what killed Mr Gray. Had he gone to the station peacefully like so many times before, he would not have hurt himself.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Mr Grays actions are what killed Mr Gray. Had he gone to the station peacefully like so many times before, he would not have hurt himself.

You've got to admit though he's definitely worth more dead than he ever was alive.

This_person

He didn't kill himself. He was killed by being locked in a van, shackled, and not buckled.

Certainly he is responsible for the actions that necessitated him being placed in custody. Once he was in custody, his safety was in the hands of the government. Now, we're not talking some unforeseeable thing like an earthquake or sink hole killing him. We're not talking a fire in a cell that wouldn't unlock when all maintenance was up to date. We're not talking about him being shot in the back. He was in a vehicle operated by the government. He was shackled by the government. He was NOT buckled in by the government. By not being buckled in, his safety was reduced unnecessarily. No herculean effort was required, no special skill, no new equipment needs installed - hell, even the procedure does not need to be changed. Simple and routine steps needed to be taken to help ensure his safety that were intentionally not taken.

Had they forgotten, that's a sad thing. If they remembered and the belt broke, that's a sad thing. They intentionally, negligently chose to put his safety at higher risk, and the result is a citizen is dead.

Again, I see no intention to kill him. I see no racism involved. I see no evil-doers. I see negligent government in terms of maintaining the safety of the citizen in their charge.

You can blame the victim if that helps you. You can see him as a POS, and therefore his life is no loss to society. But, if your actions with the police are deemed by them to make you a POS, are you ok with dying through their negligence? If they pick your grandchild up, are you okay with them not buckling him into their seat?

I'm not.

Nothing has changed the basic facts here. A citizen is dead and doesn't have to be. That citizen was in the custody of the government, and the government failed to follow their own procedure and simple, common actions taken by most any reasonable person for their own safety. Because of this failure, he's dead. And, no one takes or demands responsibility for that. I find that sad.

bilbur

He didn't kill himself. He was killed by being locked in a van, shackled, and not buckled.

Certainly he is responsible for the actions that necessitated him being placed in custody. Once he was in custody, his safety was in the hands of the government. Now, we're not talking some unforeseeable thing like an earthquake or sink hole killing him. We're not talking a fire in a cell that wouldn't unlock when all maintenance was up to date. We're not talking about him being shot in the back. He was in a vehicle operated by the government. He was shackled by the government. He was NOT buckled in by the government. By not being buckled in, his safety was reduced unnecessarily. No herculean effort was required, no special skill, no new equipment needs installed - hell, even the procedure does not need to be changed. Simple and routine steps needed to be taken to help ensure his safety that were intentionally not taken.

Had they forgotten, that's a sad thing. If they remembered and the belt broke, that's a sad thing. They intentionally, negligently chose to put his safety at higher risk, and the result is a citizen is dead.

Again, I see no intention to kill him. I see no racism involved. I see no evil-doers. I see negligent government in terms of maintaining the safety of the citizen in their charge.

You can blame the victim if that helps you. You can see him as a POS, and therefore his life is no loss to society. But, if your actions with the police are deemed by them to make you a POS, are you ok with dying through their negligence? If they pick your grandchild up, are you okay with them not buckling him into their seat?

I'm not.

Nothing has changed the basic facts here. A citizen is dead and doesn't have to be. That citizen was in the custody of the government, and the government failed to follow their own procedure and simple, common actions taken by most any reasonable person for their own safety. Because of this failure, he's dead. And, no one takes or demands responsibility for that. I find that sad.

I am on the fence on this one, I would love to have had a camera in the back of the van to see what really happened but that is not what we have. I do, however, know some undeniable truths when it comes to dealing with cops and confrontation. You have almost a 0 percent chance of dying at the hands of the police if you do not break the law. If you break the law but comply with the cops orders the chances of dying by cop go up but almost indistinguishably. If you run, your chances rise even more but it is still below a 1% chance out of all cop and civilian contact. If you fight, again, your chances of being killed go up but still stay below 1%. If you pull a weapon your chances go way up, but still the ones who are shot are a small percentage of every cop to suspect interaction where they pull a weapon. If you shoot at a cop you still have a 50/50 chance of living and not being shot. I am sure there are exceptions like someone minding their own business and some skittish, inexperienced cop mistakenly shoots them but that is very rare and that person should not have been a cop in the first place. I do not believe that all bad people deserve to die but I have a hard time feeling remorse because in an overwhelming number of the recent police killings the suspect set the wheels in motion for their own fatal outcome. All but a very small number of the recent police shootings of all races has one thing in common, the person that got shot made the decision to do one of the actions listed above which increased his likelihood of being injured or killed. Add that up with most of the recently killed had prior violent felonies and lived a dangerous life.

tblwdc

The government paid 6.5 million dollars and the person who was responsible for training these officers was terminated. Why do you insist on saying nobody was held accountable?