Lyrics...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But you yourself admitted that you don't listen to the words as much as the music. Clearly other people do the same.

I, on the other hand, am a lyrics person and can always understand what the song is saying regardless of the music its set to.

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight, gonna grab some afternoon delight - a song about a couple going on a picnic and fishing.

Relax, don't do it - an anti-stress song, like Don't Worry Be Happy.

And that song about a musical family, a la the Partridges - Mama's got a squeezebox she wears on her chest and when Daddy comes home he never gets no rest.

:yay:

Yes, and thus it is such an interesting topic. Music means so many different things to folks. For instance, not many knew Purple Haze was the first pro gay rights protest song. Most think it's about drugs.

:shrug:

Hank

my war
Judas Priest is one of the founding pillars of heavy metal. An indisputable, indispensable all time great. Arguably, the greatest of them all.

Yeah, I agree... I just don't sing along to the music anymore....

not that there is anything wrong with it...:lmao:

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Yes, and thus it is such an interesting topic. Music means so many different things to folks. For instance, not many knew Purple Haze was the first pro gay rights protest song. Most think it's about drugs.

:shrug:

I remember people trying to figure out if the line was:

"Actin funny, but I don't know why,
Scuse me while I kiss the sky"
OR
"Scuse me while I kiss this guy"

Hank

my war
I remember people trying to figure out if the line was:

"Actin funny, but I don't know why,
Scuse me while I kiss the sky"
OR
"Scuse me while I kiss this guy"

Kind of like...

"plowman dig my earth"

people would sing::: "plowman dig my herb"

**All along the Watchtower

Tikibar

Wayne from Maine
Don't give a hoot about Slayer, or many other bands, but agree with you on this. The music to me makes probably about 85% of my appreciation of songs/groups out there, or were out there.

In my opinion, there are only a few groups (I'm talking rock, mind you) where the music/words are close to being even - Pink Floyd, The Eagles, the Beatles work for me. Led Zeppelin is more on the music edge, but some of their lyrics do make certain songs stand out - especially from my long-past dazed days.Simon and Garfunkel area good example of words making a lot of songs (even though your outlook on them may have changed, but not for me), as you stated. I really appreciate Simon's guitar work as well.

IMHO, of course.

Got me thinking about this little gem.

BOP

Depressing songs that don't hide it.

The eastern world, it is exploding
Violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'

But you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don't believe