Magnesium Deficient

Dakota

~~~~~~~
1701798475981.png

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Blood Pressure - for the past few years, my doctor's have had me on various types of BP medicine and frankly, none of them have done the trick.

For the past week, I have started taking Magnesium in the morning and at night and just 1 of the 4 blood pressure meds prescribed and guess what?

BP 122/78, 126/76, 117/74, 127/77, 126/76

From and brace yourself, it is scary bad so I will just post my avgs.

188/106, 201/100, 171/100, 178/103

I am just taking the standard Magnesium and tomorrow, my Magnesium Taurate will be here which is what is recommended for BP.

Sneakers,

I am sure there is a better chart on the different types and uses and if you, or anyone finds something better, please post it. I think this could be helpful to many.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I started taking this supplement after reading some studies done saying it lowers BP. When you feel frustrated, you will try anything.

Of course, I have some unique circumstances. I only have less than 1 functioning kidney. My left one failed nearly 50 years so I am and have been living with 1 kidney.

The doctor's keep putting me on all these meds having me play with taking them at different times to get to a magic number. I was not meeting that goal.

So when I read this study, I was surprised to learn, I have every single check mark checked for having a deficiency.

And frankly, I would have never thought to try this because I really did just dismiss most of my symptoms as just the progression of CKD stage 3.

Before I took a promotion up the road a little over a year before retiring, I was often having lunch at this hot bar several times a week. I'd grab fish, a spinach salad, all foods I didn't realize were high in magnesium but after my promotion, I wasn't eating that well.

So now it clicks as to why I felt I had a sudden change. I am just hoping these improved numbers continue.

BTW, there really is no good test to be sure if you are low on Magnesium.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Funny, have no idea what those numbers represent(not the above, just in general). Doctor always says I have a great BP, guess if it was bad, I would look up what they mean.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Funny, have no idea what those numbers represent(not the above, just in general). Doctor always says I have a great BP, guess if it was bad, I would look up what they mean.

Good for you - mine have been scary bad and it just started around 2019. I even get kicked out of the dentist office for high BP - yep they take it there now and it freaks the techs out.

It has been a constant struggle but they are so quick to shove prescription meds down your throat not realizing it could be something else.

Before that, my BP was so good that if it was any lower, I would have been dead.

It seemed sudden and I realize I do have unique circumstances but I'm thinking now that I was not seeing the whole picture.

I shouldn't see improvement like this right off the bat. They said it could take up to 30 days to see improvement and already - improvement.

I just hope this is the answer. crossingfingers

Dakota

~~~~~~~
And for the record, yes, I cried getting kicked out of the dentist office. I'm tough but that sucked. I'm just glad I waited until I got in my vehicle to leave before I lost it.

And just before I decided to retire, I was mean. Everything bothered me and I'm not a mean or moody person. There were times I was ready to throw things at people - hard things like chairs and desks. I'm not kidding. And it is a major sign of a magnesium deficiency.

Kinnakeet

And for the record, yes, I cried getting kicked out of the dentist office. I'm tough but that sucked. I'm just glad I waited until I got in my vehicle to leave before I lost it.

And just before I decided to retire, I was mean. Everything bothered me and I'm not a mean or moody person. There were times I was ready to throw things at people - hard things like chairs and desks. I'm not kidding. And it is a major sign of a magnesium deficiency.
I need magnesium

Clem72

I tried several different types of magnesium, didn't really seem to do anything for me (and for the record I also have high BP).

I think most of these supplements only work when you have a marked deficiency that contributes to your problem. Maybe you had/have a magnesium deficiency so adding it to your diet helps. Did bubkis for me.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I tried several different types of magnesium, didn't really seem to do anything for me (and for the record I also have high BP).

I think most of these supplements only work when you have a marked deficiency that contributes to your problem. Maybe you had/have a magnesium deficiency so adding it to your diet helps. Did bubkis for me.

I get several tubes of blood drawn every 3 months now.

There is a marker for magnesium and it was below the low mark - just slightly, however, in all my research, it does say those test are not that accurate. I could be slightly higher or lower but still - there was an indication. If I am recalling correctly, I think one was .9 another 1.1 and low was 1.2 or 1.5.

I tend to scan the pages of results and look for specific things and usually I get some letter from my doctor saying unremarkable which only means ordinary course of events. I do have a unique situation here so unremarkable could just be the ordinary progression of CKD. I'm in stage 3 and can improve in that range but never drop back to a 2. Without proper care, I could escalate to a 4 or 5 (kidney failure) Regulating BP is tough with a kidney disorder but I am hoping it can be done.

You also have to be sure you are taking a good quality Magnesium. My good stuff wasn't suppose to be here until tomorrow but it showed up today and I am eager to try it.

BP is still reading within the good range, 1 med (just Lisinopril HCTZ tab 25 mg) (I have higher doses) and I'm actually on day #6.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You have to be careful with bananas - Hyperkalemia

I know one of the meds I take has a potassium warning which may be why that nurse didn't suggest it to People's mom. :ohwell:
Was just going to point that out. Potassium is no good for heart issues. I was taking a multi-vitamin and it elevated my potassium to unacceptable levels.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not heart related, but still interesting... when my dad was in Hospice in his final days, he was having hallucinations. It was explained to us that because his bile duct was plugged, there was a buildup of potassium. Excess potassium affects portions of the brain causing hallucinations.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Not heart related, but still interesting... when my dad was in Hospice in his final days, he was having hallucinations. It was explained to us that because his bile duct was plugged, there was a buildup of potassium. Excess potassium affects portions of the brain causing hallucinations.

I never knew that which might explain why people in the end stages of life see things, like past relatives, that are not there.

Interesting...

PeoplesElbow

More bananas?
Feed her a banana every day thinking that was it, but it didn't seem to help. The nightly crying from a calf cramp is very rare now.

She just doesn't understand which way you bring your toes so she points them downward and makes it worse.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Feed her a banana every day thinking that was it, but it didn't seem to help. The nightly crying from a calf cramp is very rare now.

She just doesn't understand which way you bring your toes so she points them downward and makes it worse.

Oh boy do I understand that - it is hard to remember when you feel like you just got stabbed.