Meatloaf

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I will never understand the practice of adding sugar to every recipe. It is the biggest cook's crutch ever. You can make a dog turd tasty with enough sugar. 3/4 cup ketchup= 41 grams of sugar. 1/3 cup brown sugar=47 grams of sugar. I want meatloaf to taste like "MEAT" with onions, peppers, mushrooms, herbs spices and seasoning, not a meatloaf shaped "TWINKIE":buddies:

Because nothing caramelizes like sugars.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Like BURPS, I mean GURPS said "to each his own"

It just seems like every recipe found nowadays for anything from Cole Slaw, to Marinara sauce, sugar is the second or third ingredient.

like SEX Sells .... anything sweetened with Sugar Sells Better ....

back in 1999 the woman I had been involved in a LD Internet thing flew over from the UK for a 3 week stay ... one of her 1st comments was how 'sweet' our Bread was ...... this was 'normal' white bread nothing fancy ...

KDENISE977

A little trick if you don't have that neato 2 piece pan, to avoid the grease, place 2 pieces of bread on the bottom of the pan before you put in the meatloaf, it absorbs all the grease !!:buddies:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Best darn meatloaf ever is Tom Colicchio's recipe.

1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 pounds ground beef (85%) lean
2 large eggs
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

2. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the oil until golden.

3. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

4. In a bow, combine beef, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper.

5. Form a loaf (approximately 7 x 5 X 3 inches in size) and place it in a roasting pan.

6. Cover the loaf evenly with the ketchup. Bake loaf for about 1 hour, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145*.

7. Remove and allow to rest slightly, then cut into 1/2-inch slices

ms_mj

I form the meatloaf on the top of a broiler pan. The grease goes through the holes, leaves three sides of the meatloaf to bake like the top does. Works very well.

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
I just happened to stumble across this forum about meatloaf. I purchased the meatloaf mix from Nick's last night and I will make the meatloaf today. My son never liked my meatloaf- probably because I didn't saute the onions first and for some unknown reason I used oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs (I know gross right!) Plus i didn't add enough wet moist - so essentially it was a giant dry hamburger. Ugh.

Tonight I will try the Nicks meatloaf mix for the first time and will report back as to the success of the end product. (no oatmeal or raw onions! LOL)

Roman

I love meatloaf, but never knew Nick's sold the mix. I can't wait to hear the review. I can't eat bread, so maybe I'll try the oat meal. As far as the onions go, I thought they cooked along with the loaf, because mine never turned out crunchy. Maybe you could dice them smaller? Enjoy..

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Best darn meatloaf ever is Tom Colicchio's recipe.

1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 pounds ground beef (85%) lean
2 large eggs
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

2. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the oil until golden.

3. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

4. In a bow, combine beef, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper.

5. Form a loaf (approximately 7 x 5 X 3 inches in size) and place it in a roasting pan.

6. Cover the loaf evenly with the ketchup. Bake loaf for about 1 hour, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145*.

7. Remove and allow to rest slightly, then cut into 1/2-inch slices

Well fancy that. This is more or less the recipe I came up with while winging it one day, except I use Italian bread crumbs and the pepper may not be fresh. It's how I've been doing meatloaf for years. I don't know who Tom Colicchio is, but now I feel special. :dance:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I use the recipe off the back of the Lipton's dry onion soup packets but instead of breadcrumbs, I use smashed up Saltines. Can't say whether or not it's good because I hate meatloaf so I don't eat it but I've never had complaints from my husband or two boys.

PJay

I make my meatloaf in those throw away muffin pans. Cooks faster and toss the Pan after.

RV living teaches you to do things differently...

Christy

b*tch rocket
I use the recipe off the back of the Lipton's dry onion soup packets

:yeahthat: I use the Italian bread crumbs instead of the plain. I also don't do brown gravy with meatloaf. That is blasphemy. I typically mix up ketchup, worcestershire, and water and dump over the top the last 15-20 minutes. It's old school, not fancy, and it makes everyone happy. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:yeahthat: I use the Italian bread crumbs instead of the plain. I also don't do brown gravy with meatloaf. That is blasphemy. I typically mix up ketchup, worcestershire, and water and dump over the top the last 15-20 minutes. It's old school, not fancy, and it makes everyone happy. :yay:

Add some molasses or brown sugar to the ketchup. :drool:

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
OK so the verdict is in! Finished the meatloaf made with Nick's (Prince Frederick) meatloaf mixture. Turned out SUPERB. I used 2 pounds of the meatloaf mixture so cooking time was 2 hours (internal temp 155 degrees).

Here's what I used: 1 onion sauteed with garlic, cooled before adding to meat. 3 eggs. I didn't have breadcrumbs so I used Town House Flat bread Crisps with Roasted Garlic, finely crushed (about 2 handfuls). 1/2 cup mayo, splash Worcestire, some A-1 sauce, some BBQ sauce and some healthy drops of liquid smoke. Form into loaf. Top with mixture ketchup + BBQ sauce + several drops of liquid smoke. 350 for 2 hours. Perfectly yummy.

Side dish is garlic Parmesan risotto (change from mashed taters).

KDENISE977

I make my meatloaf in those throw away muffin pans. Cooks faster and toss the Pan after.

RV living teaches you to do things differently...

I think I'm going to try this next time !!! :cheers:

Now what to make for dinner tonight.....sigh. :ohwell: Nothing is sounding good.

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
Oh forgot to mention the onion is finely chopped before sauteeing til clear. Also I used a broiler pan (the rack placed over the bottom pan). Placed meat on top - the fat drains to the bottom. Also after I formed the loaf on the broiler pan I put the ketchup/BBQ sauce/liquid smoke mixture on top of the loaf. Sometimes I add a dash of plain old' yellow mustard to the topping mix to give it some tang.

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
Oh and I forgot to mention. ..... I would not recommend adding oatmeal to a meatloaf. Every time I tried it changed the texture and dried it out more.