Meatloaf

frequentflier

happy to be living
I made meatloaf for dinner last night. I modified it from my usual recipe and used left over ritz crackers (of questionable freshness) instead of oats and/or breadcrumbs. One ingredient that I MUST have is green peppers; which I notice many recipes do not have.

I also try to make it early in the day and refrigerate before baking to let all the flavors meld together.

It was delish!

acommondisaster

I've seen that in Giant. I know they have it at my local grocery store too. The label on it says meatloaf mix or something like that.

Barring a trip into Waldorf (which generally includes a stop at Nick's) I use half ground beef and a tube of pork sausage - usually I get the HOT or sage if I'm making meatloaf, depending on which I feel like. (The HOT's not all that hot when you're mixing it in with ground beef and seasonings. Cheaper than the meatloaf mix, too.

mamatutu

mama to two
Barring a trip into Waldorf (which generally includes a stop at Nick's) I use half ground beef and a tube of pork sausage - usually I get the HOT or sage if I'm making meatloaf, depending on which I feel like. (The HOT's not all that hot when you're mixing it in with ground beef and seasonings. Cheaper than the meatloaf mix, too.

Nick's is the bomb! Especially when the meat is on sale. We wait for their sales to buy meat, even though I am a loyal Giant shopper for everything else. Heads up. Nick's lowest prices of the year are on Black Friday. I am still in search of the perfect meatloaf recipe (a food I haven't mastered), so posts here are very much appreciated.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I think someone might have posted this last year. Either way, it bears reposting.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/108930884710529693/

I wish I could see what that was, but it's probably something gross looking for Halloween judging by mama's reaction :lol reminded me of something...

Anyone remember when Heinz came out with different colored ketchup? They had like purple...and green... well, when we were kids, those came out and of course my younger brothers just HAD to have that, thought it was the coolest thing. I had zero interest. One evening my mom had already mixed ALL the ingredients for the meatloaf, went to rummage through the fridge for either some tomato sauce/paste or ketchup...no dice. Pantry...same thing...EXCEPT this awful bottle of green ketchup. :eyebrow: She thought, hey why not, I only use a little...shouldn't make a difference! It still tastes exactly like ketchup.

That SOB came out the oven looking like some moldy, loaf of ...roadkill. It looked awful. That small tablespoon of green ketchup turned the whole meatloaf this awful sickly greenish brown meaty mess. It looked like some concoction that'd come out the oven at Ren & Stimpy's house. Of course it tasted fine so my mom tried to serve it anyways. None of us could get through eating even half a slice :lmao:

The bottle of green ketchup went in the trash and we went out for fried chicken :dance:

To this day, you will never find yourself running out of tomato sauce or normal ketchup at my mother's house ever again.

MarieB

Haven't read the whole thread, but you can use stuffing cubes instead of breadcrumbs, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of hot meatloaf (prefer a cold sandwich with ketchup maybe once a year) but I found a recipe a few weeks ago that used chili sauce and everyone liked it