Mervell Dean Road Condo Proposal

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There are already two small complexes that feed directly onto 235 with their backs to Mervell Dean. One is the dual set of medical offices not far from this development. The other is similar way up by the north outlet of Mervell Dean. That, plus the handful of actual HOMES that are on 235.
Remember when those brick buildings were homes?

glhs837

Power with Control
I travel this road daily. Imagine the backups due to the school busses, in addition to the other reasons given.

No different than a lot of other roads like Hermanville. Side roads get developments. Hell, look a Indian Bridge. That's added three big housing developments in the last 15 years.

There are already two small complexes that feed directly onto 235 with their backs to Mervell Dean. One is the dual set of medical offices not far from this development. The other is similar way up by the north outlet of Mervell Dean. That, plus the handful of actual HOMES that are on 235.

The key is that those are not housing developments that will release a lot of people at around the same time in the AM and see them return in the afternoon.

I mean I get it you two. Nobody likes people moving in screwing up your commute. The only thing I can say is that the development district is just that, and will continue to do just that, develop. The only real answer is to get out of it.

SamSpade

No different than a lot of other roads like Hermanville. Side roads get developments. Hell, look a Indian Bridge. That's added three big housing developments in the last 15 years.

I drive Indian Bridge often - huge, long sections where there's very little. Mervell Dean is like that in that, it has feeder roads - Clarke's Landing, Clark's Mill and Joy Chapel - all of which extend several miles toward the Patuxent. And especially Clarke's Landing intersection, which has proven one of the most dangerous in the county.

But Mervell Dean also has VERY LITTLE shoulder, especially on THAT particular piece of road. And Indian Bridge Road developments don't back up to say, Rte 5. If they did, people would wonder why the F do I have access to Indian Bridge but not Rte 5?

I don't see it as a good idea, at all.

But I also don't think the development across from the Moose Lodge is either, at least, the plan looks idiotic in that it intends to move traffic and parking on both sides of a narrow strip - and from what I can tell, there's not enough room for anything except one way traffic on either,

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I didn't know that. Did they change their plan, or were they actual homes at one point?
Yes, there were 4 or 5 little bungalow type homes. They used some as practice burns and tore the rest down. I'm thinking around 2005ish.

SamSpade

Yes, there were 4 or 5 little bungalow type homes. They used some as practice burns and tore the rest down. I'm thinking around 2005ish.
Oh. Yes, I remember that. I thought you meant, those brick buildings were intended as residences, and changed.

Yeah, I don't know how often I've seen a piece of crap abandoned building and wonder to myself, when's the practice burn on THIS one.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Oh. Yes, I remember that. I thought you meant, those brick buildings were intended as residences, and changed.

Yeah, I don't know how often I've seen a piece of crap abandoned building and wonder to myself, when's the practice burn on THIS one.
Like the one up on the hill just north of the brick buildings? It's been empty since I moved here in 1990!

SamSpade

Like the one up on the hill just north of the brick buildings? It's been empty since I moved here in 1990!
My kids and I have this "thing" about spotting abandoned buildings around the county and it is astonishing just how very MANY there are.
Sometimes you have to look carefully because you may have to look deep into the woods - because it's been abandoned a LONG time and the trees have grown around them - or - it looks a little lived in, but a quick look shows broken windows or empty rooms.

I only noticed that building last year, because it's so high on the hill - always wondering who in hell would want to live on a hill where one bad brake or slide would put you right in the middle of 235.

But if I HAD a home that led to 235 - or Mervell Dean - I'd choose the highway, even though it meant making a U-turn to go south.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I only noticed that building last year, because it's so high on the hill - always wondering who in hell would want to live on a hill where one bad brake or slide would put you right in the middle of 235.

easy Peezy… Will just need a long driveway that zigzags like Lombard Street.

20 minutes to get out of the driveway. Five minutes to get where you’re going. :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My kids and I have this "thing" about spotting abandoned buildings around the county and it is astonishing just how very MANY there are.
Sometimes you have to look carefully because you may have to look deep into the woods - because it's been abandoned a LONG time and the trees have grown around them - or - it looks a little lived in, but a quick look shows broken windows or empty rooms.

But if I HAD a home that led to 235 - or Mervell Dean - I'd choose the highway, even though it meant making a U-turn to go south.
Like the big house up on the hill in Mechanicsville by Mr. Tire. I don't think anyone even knew it was there until the land was logged. That was quite the surprise!

That property has access to MD Rd and 235.

SamSpade

Like the big house up on the hill in Mechanicsville by Mr. Tire. I don't think anyone even knew it was there until the land was logged. That was quite the surprise!
I think I have a Facebook pic of that. You're right, I think when they started chopping down trees, they didn't know it was there.

SamSpade

easy Peezy… Will just need a long driveway that zigzags like Lombard Street.

20 minutes to get out of the driveway. Five minutes to get where you’re going. :lmao:
I had a boss years ago that lived in a really, REALLY nice part of PG, a few miles off Pennsylvania Avenue between the Beltway and Upper Marlboro.

She had a driveway a couple hundred yards long, mostly downhill, although she had something like a parking lot at the top.
When there was a bad snow, we KNEW she wasn't coming in. No one was gonna plow that driveway.

buddscreek

people were living in the house in the 70's. remember kids in school living there