MICE!!!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Garden segment on PBS just now talking about mice and traps. A mouse has flexible skull bones and can fit thru a hole 1/4". A rat in 1/2" Measure that.... it's tiny compared to a mouse or rat.

jrt_ms1995

:yay: Throw that entire s*hit out in the trash! They cost $2.50 for 4 traps - I'll buy more! :lmao:
You rich people throwing your money around all the time! Not reusing mouse traps! Why, when I was a young'un, we'd use those mouse traps to keep our clothes closed during the day (they was a lot of us and we didn't have enough clothes pins for everybody), then for catching mice at night. The big ole rat traps we used on our shoes for toe-bustouts and them ginormous rats Gilligan done brought over on those boats from that cold place he goes off to!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You rich people throwing your money around all the time! Not reusing mouse traps! Why, when I was a young'un, we'd use those mouse traps to keep our clothes closed during the day (they was a lot of us and we didn't have enough clothes pins for everybody), then for catching mice at night. The big ole rat traps we used on our shoes for toe-bustouts and them ginormous rats Gilligan done brought over on those boats from that cold place he goes off to!
Did you go to breakfast with Gregg?

jrt_ms1995

Did you go to breakfast with Gregg?
Why, yes! Here we are:

1.jpg
2.jpg

lucky_bee

RBF expert
🤣 we are kindred spirits! I would've done the same, or wait for someone else to come home, or call a brave neighbor. I don't care how girlie or wimpy that makes me, I own it!
several years ago when my now-husband and I were just dating, I lived in an old converted farmhouse/duplex. Went into a spare bedroom one morning to grab something and stepped on an already dead mouse. My cat isn't exactly the greatest mouser so who knows how that happened, by his pathetic paws, or by nature, but it scared my so bad I called him at 7am screaming and crying about the dead thing and you could hear him blinking in astonishment over the phone at me. After a long pause he asked wtf I wanted him to do with it and I begged him to come remove it. Sure enough he showed up after work and did just that :biggrin: Nowadays he'd point me to a broom and tell me I know how to use it. Chivalry and his love for me are clearly dead.

ehh..he did remove a snake from the garage this weekend for me. But not without scaring me with it first :rolleyes:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
several years ago when my now-husband and I were just dating, I lived in an old converted farmhouse/duplex. Went into a spare bedroom one morning to grab something and stepped on an already dead mouse. My cat isn't exactly the greatest mouser so who knows how that happened, by his pathetic paws, or by nature, but it scared my so bad I called him at 7am screaming and crying about the dead thing and you could hear him blinking in astonishment over the phone at me. After a long pause he asked wtf I wanted him to do with it and I begged him to come remove it. Sure enough he showed up after work and did just that :biggrin: Nowadays he'd point me to a broom and tell me I know how to use it. Chivalry and his love for me are clearly dead.

ehh..he did remove a snake from the garage this weekend for me. But not without scaring me with it first :rolleyes:
One day I heard some weird screaming coming from the garage, didn't recognize it. Eventually I found a baby rabbit under my truck. With a black snake coiled around it. After a couple of ponders, like what was a baby rabbit doing under my truck, and where was that snake hiding and are there others... I backed the truck out so I could work it better. Never heard such a noise from a rabbit. Thought a moment, then grabbed a coal shovel, scooped them both up together and deposited them over the fence in the backyard. Snake was too busy with the rabbit to worry about me.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
One day I heard some weird screaming coming from the garage, didn't recognize it. Eventually I found a baby rabbit under my truck. With a black snake coiled around it. After a couple of ponders, like what was a baby rabbit doing under my truck, and where was that snake hiding and are there others... I backed the truck out so I could work it better. Never heard such a noise from a rabbit. Thought a moment, then grabbed a coal shovel, scooped them both up together and deposited them over the fence in the backyard. Snake was too busy with the rabbit to worry about me.
rabbit screams are absolutely horrifying. When I lived up north, parents' house was surrounded by several acres of heavy wood and definitely had some coyotes. I was woken to the sounds of nature taking its course with rabbit and coyote many times *shudders

That house had some funny mouse incidents too. We moved into it directly after it was built and soon after, our 2 cats would sit in front of the stove/oven all day...we realized there must be some hole or unsealed gap and they were detecting mice. Dad moved the stove, sealed up what he could and put a couple traps in front just in case. That night (WHY IS IT ALWAYS WHEN YOU'RE SLEEPING), we all woke up to this loud clamoring and clacking noise in our large hallway upstairs where all our bedrooms branched off from. Our two cats are at opposite ends of the hall batting a dead mouse stuck in a plastic trap back and forth. Legit playing badminton with a dead mouse. Those two were sadistic.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

rabbit screams are absolutely horrifying. When I lived up north, parents' house was surrounded by several acres of heavy wood and definitely had some coyotes. I was woken to the sounds of nature taking its course with rabbit and coyote many times *shudders

It is defiantly an off putting scream for sure. Almost a child like high pitched scream. I wonder why the horror movie makers haven't used a baby rabbit screams? Pretty sure such a thing in a movie would really give viewers the willies.

NOTSMC

For your consideration ...

It is defiantly an off putting scream for sure. Almost a child like high pitched scream. I wonder why the horror movie makers haven't used a baby rabbit screams? Pretty sure such a thing in a movie would really give viewers the willies.
Wasn't it Hannibal Lector that said ""You won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the rabbits."?

mitzi

One more pitiful mouse story from me. This one was in my car. I had just pulled out on 235 I saw it scrambling around on the floor in front of the passenger's seat. In no time it had climbed up the inside of the door. I was going to pull over and try and get it out. It made it up to the 1/2 open window. Next thing I see is it holding on to the window with his little paws. It tried holding on but he blew out at 55 mph.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One more pitiful mouse story from me. This one was in my car. I had just pulled out on 235 I saw it scrambling around on the floor in front of the passenger's seat. In no time it had climbed up the inside of the door. I was going to pull over and try and get it out. It made it up to the 1/2 open window. Next thing I see is it holding on to the window with his little paws. It tried holding on but he blew out at 55 mph.
That sounds like a cartoon. :lmao:

NOTSMC

My favorite mouse story also happens to be one of my favorite dad memories. My parents had really started to decline - not eating properly, not cleaning up after themselves, etc. I had gone over to clean and in their pantry I found mouse droppings and bird seed everywhere. So I began vacuuming it up blindly using the nozzle thing...couldn't really see, the closet was dark. When I finished, I saw several baby mice in the cannister. My father insisted on carrying it outside for me to let the mice loose. We pulled the cannister off and he opened the lid from the top. Well the mice LEAPED out of it, like mid air and I screamed, and screamed, and screamed. He broke up in the loudest laugh that I have ever heard from him. I mean bent over, trying to catch his breath laughing.

It was great, especially since a month later, he passed away. To this day, I can still hear and see him laughing.

eric14

I haven't seen mice in southern maryland; mostly just snakes which might explain the lack of mice in my area.

Only time I've ever seen mice was cleaning out my grandfather's garage in Missouri which was basically a junkyard. In fact; that whole house of his was one of, if not, the filthiest house I've ever stepped in and even when my grandmother was alive she almost never cleaned it and because she was hoarding like crazy it only made the house even more unsanitary. Simply put it's no surprise that place was as An American Tail puts it "paved with cheese" and it had mouse traps in parts of the house. The house no longer exists though, it was cleared out for a new house; it was unlivable and couldn't be salvaged.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I haven't seen mice in southern maryland;
We had mice in the apartment we rented for the 1st year we were here.
It was in the Woodland Acres neighborhood near the intersection of 4 and 235.

We also had 3 cats, who had no idea of what to do with a real mouse, traps worked.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Well, I haven't seen signs of a mouse for a couple weeks. Total of 7 kilted.

Time to throw away every thing in the pantry and start to restock.

I'm sure they will re-populate, but found a recipe for a "repellent" that might keep them out of the pantry. 1 teasp red pepper flake, 1 teasp whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick. Don't know if it'll work on mice, but the cats don't like it.

I think it smells good. :sshrug: