Mother, cancer-stricken son on the run

B

Beaver-Cleaver

As for the rest our governance structure is set up so that not ONE nutball with nutty ideals is allowed to make all the rules which is EXACTLY why nothing concerning how you raise your children has changed in the past bazillion years. I have no more "life altering" constraints put on myself in regard to raising my kids than my parents did on me 30 years ago.

ATV ban :eyebrow:

Like 10 year olds eat ATV batteries! :faint:

Christy

b*tch rocket
As for the rest our governance structure is set up so that not ONE nutball with nutty ideals is allowed to make all the rules which is EXACTLY why nothing concerning how you raise your children has changed in the past bazillion years. I have no more "life altering" constraints put on myself in regard to raising my kids than my parents did on me 30 years ago.

You know, I have had this very same argument when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. It makes me crazy that because YOU have not had any life altering constraints put on you or because none of this effects YOUR life, that it doesn't matter. And I'm using "YOU" (the terminology) as an overall example of the apathy in this country when it comes to issues that don't directly effect someone. By the time it does effect you, it's damn sure going to be too late.

And quite frankly, times have changed a lot from the time I was a child and when my parents were raising me until now. No one while I was growing up even considered it to be the role of the government to make parental or medical decisions. Your doctor, your neighbors, and your schools, weren't all stumbling over themselves to call the police or child protective services every time a parent made a decision they didn't agree with. Individual rights were much more respected.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Just looked it up and that in no way inhibits a parents right to parent their children.

Nutty ideals.

The government bans something because there were a few cases of toys from China were recalled for having trace, harmless amounts of lead in them.

But because ATVs have lead in the batteries (like kids eat ATV batteries for breakfast:doh:), they're banned.

It's not just nutty ideals you should be worried about, it's knee jerk reactions by the government to small problems. Do you know how much money Big O promised for Swine Flu response?

As much as I hate to agree with Christy, she does have a point.

Christy

b*tch rocket
As for the rest our governance structure is set up so that not ONE nutball with nutty ideals is allowed to make all the rules which is EXACTLY why nothing concerning how you raise your children has changed in the past bazillion years.

Actually, our governance structure was set up so that mob rule didn't win out over another individual or minority group of individual's rights and freedoms. :shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
You know, I have had this very same argument when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. It makes me crazy that because YOU have not had any life altering constraints put on you or because none of this effects YOUR life, that it doesn't matter. And I'm using "YOU" (the terminology) as an overall example of the apathy in this country when it comes to issues that don't directly effect someone. By the time it does effect you, it's damn sure going to be too late.

And quite frankly, times have changed a lot from the time I was a child and when my parents were raising me until now. No one while I was growing up even considered it to be the role of the government to make parental or medical decisions. Your doctor, your neighbors, and your schools, weren't all stumbling over themselves to call the police or child protective services every time a parent made a decision they didn't agree with. Individual rights were much more respected.

I'm of the opinion that we've lost a good deal of common sense over time. Times may have changed, people may be a whole hell of a lot nosier BUT the fact that remains is there are no more constraints put on you as a parent than were your parents. People are just more "aware" of everything and everyone else now. I fully agree that we're a nation of flipping busy bodies that need to mind our own freaking business.

I'm also of the opinion that 20-30 years ago the dumb biatch in question would have had her child yanked from her and treated with the proper medical care. Society was MUCH less tolerant of extreme ideas.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Actually, our governance structure was set up so that mob rule didn't win out over another individual or minority group of individual's rights and freedoms. :shrug:

It matters not WHY it was set up I was talking about HOW it's set up.

Christy

b*tch rocket
It matters not WHY it was set up I was talking about HOW it's set up.

And I'm saying that is HOW it is set up as well. :wink: Even the nutties are afforded rights. Hell, if not more than your average citizen. But again, that's a whole other different conversation.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
And I'm saying that is HOW it is set up as well. :wink: Even the nutties are afforded rights. Hell, if not more than your average citizen. But again, that's a whole other different conversation.

But your argument wasn't about who is given rights it was about rights of the average parent being taken away.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

This_person

:Ding!:

And theres the chicken dinner.

In our country a 13 year old can not make these decisions. In our country, for the most part, a 13 year old can not make any binding decisions, because they are a minor.

Since 13 year olds are not capable of making these decisions, the onus is now on the parents. While the child is not capable of making a binding decision, they are also protected from their decision makers (Parents) decisions that affect and could harm them.

Its a simple test, if something is illegal or ruled harm to a minor, it does not suddenly become OK if religion is brought in. This is because that would allow Religion to be a greater rule of law than societies.
So, parents may not choose anything that someone else could consider harmful?

Is EVERY medical decision, therefore, up to the doctor instead of the parent? Do statistics rule all parents decisions?

This_person

No, parents may not choose anything that is unlawful and then hide behind religion.

Religion does not supercede our laws. Your supporting everyone going out, creating their own religion and doing whatever the hell they want.

There is a term for that, its called anarchy
Where do the parents' rights as parents end, and anarchy begin?
Your not seeing the forest, this has NOTHING to do with a doctor. This has NOTHING to do with medical decisions. This is about a parent harming a child.
No, this is about choosing a medical plan/treatment option.

The child chooses to not take it, the parents agreed and accepted the child's choice. That's all this is. It's a bad choice, but the real question is whether it's the parents' choice or not.
If this mother didnt have a religion blanket to wrap her actions, and what she was doing was neglect, it doesnt change just because she has faith. Its still neglect.
Take religion out - is an overweight child criminally neglected? How about a poorly dressed one? A child allowed to ride a bike without a helmet?
I could bring up that according to you, in a different argument, society has a vested interest in those children. According to you, society offers benefits because of those children. But i wont
Actually, my argument was that society has a vested interest in a strong definition and respect for the institution of marriage, not in the parents' treatment option decisions....

Cowgirl

So, can someone update me? I don't want to read through the thread. Are mom and boy still on the run?