Mr. Tire

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Our mechanic lives in our neighborhood with his shop on his property. We have used him for 12 years. One time we had an alternator go out when he was on vacay. We used Mr. Tire on Rt. 4 (Calvert). Got gouged. Never again. Do not recommend.

I will tell you a secret, most alternators can be replaced in as little as 20 minutes. Some can take longer, like the VW for instance. A little over 4 1/2 hours, but 2 hours of that was me fighting to get the bumper off enough to get to it, another hour to get it all back together. Shop wanted $900.

I will trailer my VW to Virginia rather than dealing with those crooks one more time, even recall work.

LOL, the stopped hounding to replace stuff after our last visit, some recall for the coil packs. It was wiper blades, guy was like oh we have the proper ones and they are hard to find, only run you $35 a piece. I told him no thanks, I bought the local Ollies out of the proper sizes, $5 a piece, I have wiper blades for life. His response, well are you sure they will fit, mine what the #### do you think is on there.

officeguy

LOL, the stopped hounding to replace stuff after our last visit, some recall for the coil packs. It was wiper blades, guy was like oh we have the proper ones and they are hard to find, only run you $35 a piece. I told him no thanks, I bought the local Ollies out of the proper sizes, $5 a piece, I have wiper blades for life. His response, well are you sure they will fit, mine what the #### do you think is on there.

Wiper blades for my VW were not that hard to find if they hadn't screwed up their parts manual/database. During the model year of my car, there are 'early' and 'late' versions for many parts including fuel filters and wiper blades. If I go to the VW parts counter and they plug in the VIN, they invariably come up with the wrong part. There must have been a time when they had both parts on the shelf and just randomly threw them together. Where this really sucked is with a warranty issue that occured in that model. The $8000 transmissions kept blowing up depending on which part you won in the great VW parts lottery.

Popster

FWIW, I've been buying tires at BJs for more than 20 years. I wait for a coupon for free mounting/balance/etc. We put the 70-80,000 mile Uniroyal Tiger Paws on and have been happy with the wear. I do take the cars in every 5k for FREE rotation and balancing. Great price on the tires and service.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
FWIW, I've been buying tires at BJs for more than 20 years. I wait for a coupon for free mounting/balance/etc. We put the 70-80,000 mile Uniroyal Tiger Paws on and have been happy with the wear. I do take the cars in every 5k for FREE rotation and balancing. Great price on the tires and service.

I had Tiger Paws on my 1986 Silverado. They had good tread depth, but if it was going to rain, I had to make sure I was parked on a hard surface. I got stuck on wet grass one time and had to get several friends to push me "out". :ohwell:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Wiper blades for my VW were not that hard to find if they hadn't screwed up their parts manual/database. During the model year of my car, there are 'early' and 'late' versions for many parts including fuel filters and wiper blades. If I go to the VW parts counter and they plug in the VIN, they invariably come up with the wrong part. There must have been a time when they had both parts on the shelf and just randomly threw them together. Where this really sucked is with a warranty issue that occured in that model. The $8000 transmissions kept blowing up depending on which part you won in the great VW parts lottery.

The wifes is an 06 Jetta, they have this goofy slide in flat clip that hardly any parts stores carry. Once I found the set that fit at Ollies, I bought 6 pairs in the correct sizes. Unfortunately not to be the only ones with a funky wiper blade mount, GM changed the J-Clip mounts to something like VW, only much more complicated.

I tried BJ's the selection was limited in my sizes, or they only had the premium $200+ a piece tires. I have been ordering from Discount Tire Direct and Tirerack for about 10 years now. My next set will be retreads from TreadWrite, I wont feel as bad if I puncture a $100 tire compared to the $200-$300 tires I have been looking at.

Unfortunately not to be the only ones with a funky wiper blade mount, GM changed the J-Clip mounts to something like VW, only much more complicated.
And they are a pain. The blades on my brand new 2014 GMC were terrible. I changed them out for Rain-X blades, which I like alot. Don't ya know.... the left side mount is different than the right side mount by just enough to make different blades mounts necessary, and the Rain-X blades just would not fit. I "re-engineered" the left mount with a dremmel tool. Now it fits correctly.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
And they are a pain. The blades on my brand new 2014 GMC were terrible. I changed them out for Rain-X blades, which I like alot. Don't ya know.... the left side mount is different than the right side mount by just enough to make different blades mounts necessary, and the Rain-X blades just would not fit. I "re-engineered" the left mount with a dremmel tool. Now it fits correctly.

I had to press the mount in pretty hard for it to sit flat. Supposedly they switched back to the J hook in 2009 on the Avalanche, and the dealer would replace them up until a certain point. I'm debating about just ordering them, they are only like $25 an arm.

RPMDAD

Will have to say i have never had any problems at Mr. Tire in Prince Frederick, on time i had a car in there and they said it needed new front brakes. Thought their price was a little high but not outrageous. I didn't get the brakes done, i paid them for the tires and front end alignment, and on my way home stopped and bought front brake pads . When i got home and changed them, they were correct, i definitely needed the new pads but the rotors were ok.. I basically only use them for new tires and alignments and rotations and balancing have never had a problem there.

Wrkn4livn

My son (a new driver) had a tire that was low. He filled it up and went to Mr. Tire in Charlotte Hall. They told him all his tires were bad and he needed 4 new tires. My son trusted them and paid over 500 dollars for new tires. The problem I have with this event is I just put new tires on the vehicle not 10 months ago. They essentially lied to him to get an inexperienced person to buy something they did not need. Has anybody else had a similar experience with Mr. Tire??

You need to call Corporate Office and complain! Do you have the receipt of the tires you just put on? Make a copy and be prepared to email it.
If they don't give you satisfaction, call the MD BBB and file a complaint.

MikeT

I do not post much but had to respond to this.
I took my Fathers truck to Mr. Tire in Mechanicsville to have 2 wheel cylinders replaced, system bled and checked. It was supposed to be done next day but they kept giving me excuses why it was not done. They finally told me they could not get it to bleed properly and could I come in and see if what they had was acceptable. Well it was nowhere near acceptable so I told them to keep it and get it straight. They threw parts at it for a few more days with no luck.
Anyway I go out of town and my Father calls Mr. Tire, asks about his truck and they say it is ready to pick up.
He goes in and pays $1,200 for 2 wheel cylinders and a line that broke while they were test driving it. He gets in the truck and the pedal goes straight to the floor. Not being one to cause a scene he tells them he is not driving it like that and to keep it until it is done.
I found out about this and called the Corporate office to file a complaint, waste of time. Well I called the shop with a not so pleasant attitude and they said they asked him to see if the brakes were acceptable to him when he came to pick it up. After they took his $$$$ not before. Well the pedal went to the floor, what do you think?
They finally got about half the pedal back, enough to drive it but NOWHERE near $1200 worth of pedal.
Oh yeah the original quote for 2 wheel cylinders that I supplied was $300 and some change. They did end up using Ford wheel cylinders claiming the ones I brought in were defective and replaced a line that broke from rust while they test drove it. But $1200 d##m. Never ever again

Tires Plus has been great. I completely rebuilt the front end on my Camaro and took it there for an alignment and the Tech comes up to me and asks who did the work on the front end. I was like, what the heck did I do? He said a hell of a job, that thing is dead on the money. He could have easily taken my money but I walked out of there with a $0 balance.

They treat the wife great also.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Tires Plus has been great. He could have easily taken my money but I walked out of there with a $0 balance.

They treat the wife great also

Once in a great while you find a place run by folks who are about the quality of the work and who aren't out to just make a buck.

RetiredCPO

Stood in the Lex Park Mr. Tire for 20 minutes being told the desk clerk would be right with me… fed up with waiting to get my slashed tire changed (S. Essex/Scarborough Drive story for another thread), I walked into the service bay to find him talking on the phone with his girlfriend. He stated he was on break and I would have to wait till he was done. I don’t know what young people are trained these days, but back in the day when I worked these types of jobs, the customer was the priority and you did whatever you could to ensure return business. I went across the street and was taken care of start to finish in less than 15 minutes.