Narcan

BernieP

Resident PIA
So you just explained why heroin has made a comeback.
Addiction/Alcoholism is classified as a disease, a mental health disease. The first drink, the first pill, that's all it takes.
It kills their pain.
Dry up the pills and they find something else. Someone will get them their fix, for a price. That's what drug dealers do.
No different than what an alcoholics will lower themselves to drink. They certainly aren't buying high end wine or spirits.
Hell, if you clean out the liquor cabinet, don't forget to secure the mouthwash. Anything with alcohol in in.

tom88

How far does that extend?

A kid who was driving too fast? Why waste time on someone who made the choice to drive 100mph?
A construction worker not wearing a harness falls off a roof. Why waste time on someone who made the choice not to tie off.
An alcoholic..

You get my drift.

That's a nice straw man argument, but when the EMT and Police show up to the construction worker, or bad driver, they don't have the information readily available to determine these folks did this to themselves. Where they show up for the heroin overdose, it's quite obvious. One other point. You extolled your virtues of hard work and continuing education, but I think if I were your employer I would take exception to your work ethic based on the amount of time you spend on here alone.

tom88

"in some areas"
try HERE. People are od'ing a few times a day HERE. In St. Mary's County. Southern MD. The Director of the Lexington Park Rescue Squad was quoted in a recent article as saying that they are responding to OD calls up to 10 time A DAY. Here - LP area alone.

Pure insanity.

What in the hell is our local police drug enforcement division doing? Why is it so hard to find and put away the people that are literally killing off our communities? What exactly are the valid excuses?

And while my heart goes out to families - NARCAN producers are clearly benefiting from the increasing addictions...there has to be something to that...

Any investigation begins with a victim. Unfortunately, the democratic legislature in this state has deemed the police can't investigate the victim of an overdose, or any of those who have called the police in the case of an overdose. If the police can't enforce those laws at the beginning, I think it would be very difficult to enforce those laws further up the chain. You ask why is it so hard to find the people polluting our communities.....who is going to lead the police to them? Police officers obviously aren't a part of the drug community so with out those who are providing information on those who do, then I would say it is VERY hard to find those polluting our community.

Chris0nllyn

That's a nice straw man argument, but when the EMT and Police show up to the construction worker, or bad driver, they don't have the information readily available to determine these folks did this to themselves. Where they show up for the heroin overdose, it's quite obvious.

That is, of course, assuming the EMTs show up to a body on the ground and automatically assume it's an OD and that somehow EMTs "have the information readily available to determine" if the person on the ground did it to themselves.

It's only a strawman argument because you want it to be.