New Speed Cameras in Calvert School Zones

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Here's a novel idea....GO the speed limit and stop worrying and squawking.
How about you stop blindly supporting the parasitic organization known as "government" like a good little bootlicker? Or do you really enjoy taking it up the rear as often as you appear to?

glhs837

Power with Control
Here's a novel idea....GO the speed limit and stop worrying and squawking.

Sounds great. Here's a novel idea, how about you read the objections and understand why sometimes that's not enough? And even if it is, why these things are a bad idea. Don't like the legitimate complaints about enforcing the law for profit, too bad, read other stuff. Or do you think you can defend this as a good thing? Think the complaints are unfounded or factually incorrect, go right ahead.

glhs837

Power with Control
there will always be law breakers, it's why we need police and speed cameras. These people are a tremendous financial burden on society.

You mean those people getting in wrecks or running down children in schools zones due to speeding 12 over the limit? I'm open to examples, Vince. Heckuva burden those have been. Same burden caused by landshark attacks, here in SOMD anyway.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
there will always be law breakers, it's why we need police and speed cameras. These people are a tremendous financial burden on society.
With hundreds of thousands of laws on the books and more being created or tweaked every year, it is not surprising "there will always law breakers" as you put it. One day you are good person, the next day, after a law is passed, you are a law breaker. Government is a tremendous financial burden on society. Not the other way around.

vince77

We are a society of laws. If you don't like one of them, work to change it, work to replace legislators/public officials with others that share your views. You don't get to decide to obey only laws that you agree with.

Making a case for driving 12 mph over the posted speed limits penalty free?.....good luck with that ... the trend in law enforcement is to minimize traffic stops .......

vince77

If I may ...With hundreds of thousands of laws on the books and more being created or tweaked every year, it is not surprising "there will always law breakers" as you put it. One day you are good person, the next day, after a law is passed, you are a law breaker. Government is a tremendous financial burden on society. Not the other way around.

I'm talking about obeying a posted speed limit sign on the highway.

glhs837

Power with Control
We are a society of laws. If you don't like one of them, work to change it, work to replace legislators/public officials with others that share your views. You don't get to decide to obey only laws that you agree with.

Making a case for driving 12 mph over the posted speed limits penalty free?.....good luck with that ... the trend in law enforcement is to minimize traffic stops .......

Is anyone advocating penalty free? I dont see that. I'm advocating enforcing the law to enhance safety, you know, the reason that traffic laws exist? If the cameras do not make an unsafe situation safer, then there is not much point. At least the over enforcement of speed by officers in cars has the byproduct of enhancing the chance they get a "real bad guy" as they call them off the road. I've no objection to enforcing the law. I object to doing it soely for profit, and letting that profit motive drive the law to reduce the citizens chances to defend themselves in court to virtually nothing.

Catman2

If I may ...How about you stop blindly supporting the parasitic organization known as "government" like a good little bootlicker? Or do you really enjoy taking it up the rear as often as you appear to?

I blindly support my perfect driving record and low insurance rates. You can go as fast as you want.

vince77

Is anyone advocating penalty free? I dont see that. I'm advocating enforcing the law to enhance safety, you know, the reason that traffic laws exist? If the cameras do not make an unsafe situation safer, then there is not much point. At least the over enforcement of speed by officers in cars has the byproduct of enhancing the chance they get a "real bad guy" as they call them off the road. I've no objection to enforcing the law. I object to doing it soely for profit, and letting that profit motive drive the law to reduce the citizens chances to defend themselves in court to virtually nothing.

And I object to assigning a $6OK a year government employee (cop) in a 40K vehicle using 1940's technology to enforce the law, wasting tax payers money on the side of the highway and in court. Welcome to the 21st century.

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually, no objection to using automation. What I object to is doing it on a for profit basis with a system rigged to ensure revenue, not deterrence. Make it a larger fine. Set the system up to be non-profit, with fixed fee for the vendor, not one paid per citation, make the govt refund all monies over administration cost right to the taxpayers.

If you do these things, I would be right there signing up. But they wont. For the simple reason that these have nothing to do with safety. And everything to do with making money. Why the hell are they in school zones? Can you answer that? Please, show me examples of crashes in school zones directly caused by speed. Hell, any, no matter what the cause? Number of students impacted by speeders in Calvert?

Clem72

Surprised no comment from glhs or others about the former CEO of the speed camera company getting sentenced to 14 months in prison for bribing public officials to use their product. For the good of drivers, of course.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Surprised no comment from glhs or others about the former CEO of the speed camera company getting sentenced to 14 months in prison for bribing public officials to use their product. For the good of drivers, of course.

Not much to say, it's automated enforcement and Chicago, a perfect storm for corruption. Most of the companies are not so blatant as Redflex about it.