Okay, what's going in the McKay's?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Shoppers usually has the obscure third world products that so many border jumpers depend upon to get them through.

Maryland must have moved all of our Illegals to Baltimore.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Agreed. But I still think they would have a higher chance of success in that location and give people a choice. I am sure there are things that HT or Wegmans or Whole Foods carry that people want and can't find in Food Lion. Options are good.

I just don't want a large empty store as an eyesore that propagates to the rest of the shopping center as people start making a habit of driving to California/LP to do their shopping.
I like Aldi. They are affordable. Granted, they don't have everything, then I'll head to SFW or Giant.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Aldi should just take over the Charlotte Hall Shoppers or build where McKay's planned next to Tidewater so we'd have a south-bound grocery store. There are so many empty store fronts, yet the county wants to clear more land to build more shopping centers.

awol

I'm not surprised - their prices were high. I once saw $9.69 for a quart of heavy cream! I figured this would happen to Weis but it has surprisingly held on. It would be nice if in place of Shoppers, there was a Wegmans or Safeway. It will probably stay empty for a while and then be something dumb like a UHaul or a storage place. The two best grocery stores I've experienced for prices, selection, and quality are Shop Rite and HEB - too bad we are too far for either.

eric14

They really need to try to put something different where Shoppers is instead of a grocery store. Maybe something like a home depot? I know we have Lowes but home depot is better.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
They really need to try to put something different where Shoppers is instead of a grocery store. Maybe something like a home depot? I know we have Lowes but home depot is better.
About 300% to small.

Chopticon64

No dipshit, I didn't want to wait for the two people in front of me with full carts to checkout.

PS learn to read, I said only self checkout was open so no cashier's were working registers.
It might surprise you but it was the norm not that long ago to have to wait in line, I usually do it, sign of a robust economy.

Self checkout is a pain, but think about it this way, you’re expecting someone to ring up groceries all day for barely over minimum wage when you are throwing a tantrum about having to do it once.

It’s basically impossible to find cheap help, again, sign of a robust economy, get used to doing more yourself buttercup.

And you can stop with the name calling.

PeoplesElbow

It might surprise you but it was the norm not that long ago to have to wait in line, I usually do it, sign of a robust economy.

Self checkout is a pain, but think about it this way, you’re expecting someone to ring up groceries all day for barely over minimum wage when you are throwing a tantrum about having to do it once.

It’s basically impossible to find cheap help, again, sign of a robust economy, get used to doing more yourself buttercup.

And you can stop with the name calling.
It would have been ok if the other three self checkout stations worked. Stores also had something called an express lane for someone who wanted a single item. If their self checkouts don't work they needed to have a checker, they had at least one person standing there staring at the damn thing. If they can't operate any better than that they deserve to shut down.

My problem wasn't with self checkout, it was 3 out of the four being broken and having to wait on two people with full carts trying to use it in front of me. You fail reading comprehension yet again.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm not surprised - their prices were high. I once saw $9.69 for a quart of heavy cream! I figured this would happen to Weis but it has surprisingly held on. It would be nice if in place of Shoppers, there was a Wegmans or Safeway. It will probably stay empty for a while and then be something dumb like a UHaul or a storage place. The two best grocery stores I've experienced for prices, selection, and quality are Shop Rite and HEB - too bad we are too far for either.
I'll just copy what I said in the other thread about the stores closing:

They're "high priced" but you guys keep lobbying for a Whole Foods where the prices are even higher.

Has anyone ever considered that St. Mary's, just like Calvert, may, just may, be over-groceried? I keep waiting for the Safeway in Dunkirk to close. Its business since Harris-Teeter opened is a fraction of what it was.

PeoplesElbow

I'll just copy what I said in the other thread about the stores closing:

They're "high priced" but you guys keep lobbying for a Whole Foods where the prices are even higher.

Has anyone ever considered that St. Mary's, just like Calvert, may, just may, be over-groceried? I keep waiting for the Safeway in Dunkirk to close. Its business since Harris-Teeter opened is a fraction of what it was.
If it wasn't for Walmart I would say it isn't, but I think most people's goto is Walmart. For most people Whole Foods is a novelty, they want the ability go to to one, but don't really want to pay their prices for 99% of what they buy.

I do know a woman that drives up to NoVa to shop at Whole foods, but she grew up pretty well off and its "what she is used to".

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If it wasn't for Walmart I would say it isn't, but I think most people's goto is Walmart. For most people Whole Foods is a novelty, they want the ability go to to one, but don't really want to pay their prices for 99% of what they buy.

I do know a woman that drives up to NoVa to shop at Whole foods, but she grew up pretty well off and its "what she is used to".
Yeah, I sometimes drive to Bowie to go to Wegmans.

Chopticon64

I agree with the comment that Dollar General is taking away A LOT of business from the grocery stores. Years ago we had more options, in Mechanicsville there was McKays, IGA Foodliner, Johnny Woods and then Food Lion opened in the 90s. Now, even with more folks living here, just Food Lion is left.

In the middle part of the county we had Food Lion, Super Fresh and Harvest Market, then Giant and Wal-Mart added groceries in the late 90s. Now, with many more folks down there, it’s just Harris Teeter, Giant, and Wal-Mart. But I bet BJs and even Target still do a lot of grocery business.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I agree with the comment that Dollar General is taking away A LOT of business from the grocery stores. Years ago we had more options, in Mechanicsville there was McKays, IGA Foodliner, Johnny Woods and then Food Lion opened in the 90s. Now, even with more folks living here, just Food Lion is left.

In the middle part of the county we had Food Lion, Super Fresh and Harvest Market, then Giant and Wal-Mart added groceries in the late 90s. Now, with many more folks down there, it’s just Harris Teeter, Giant, and Wal-Mart. But I bet BJs and even Target still do a lot of grocery business.
What happened to those ones like Mckay's (although there were other issues, too) and IGA was they couldn't compete with the Giants and Safeways. Exactly the stores new residents, especially, pestered County governments non-stop to get to come here.

Not related to groceries but I was at a meeting several years again chaired by Maurice Lusby (Lusby Motors) and attended by Dave Sneade (Sneade's Hardware). The meeting was discussing the (unrealistic) possibility of Home Depot coming to the County.

One guy stood up and said he was tired of having to go out of the County to buy nails or a screwdriver or whatever because there were no hardwares here.

Also had a new resident who thought Sneade's in Owings was a restaurant (he apparently never noticed the lumberyard in back).

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Weis and Aldi too

PeoplesElbow

What happened to those ones like Mckay's (although there were other issues, too) and IGA was they couldn't compete with the Giants and Safeways. Exactly the stores new residents, especially, pestered County governments non-stop to get to come here.

Not related to groceries but I was at a meeting several years again chaired by Maurice Lusby (Lusby Motors) and attended by Dave Sneade (Sneade's Hardware). The meeting was discussing the (unrealistic) possibility of Home Depot coming to the County.

One guy stood up and said he was tired of having to go out of the County to buy nails or a screwdriver or whatever because there were no hardwares here.

Also had a new resident who thought Sneade's in Owings was a restaurant (he apparently never noticed the lumberyard in back).
Thinking that was a bit of an example, things you can't really buy at Snead's: a pre-hung door, toilet, or a table saw. I love Ace for many things, but they just don't have nearly the inventory as the super stores.