Once again the Deputies are not rewarded

tom88

Go right ahead and feel that way. I know there are other nationalities represented in the mix of illegal aliens. I'm sure there are some in the county right now. But the stats don't lie. And you are much more likely to find illegal aliens in a roofing crew or a landscaper crew, and they are more likely to be Hispanics. That's not racism, that's reality.

If I said every Hispanic you saw was here illegally, or claimed they were all violent criminals, or the members of every roofing crew were illegals, those would all be racist statements. But I didnt, and I said Shoppers, not WalMart:)

Take your race card and shove it. According to the Pew Hispanic Center, %77 of illegals are Hispanics. Fact, not bias. %25 of landscapers, and %27 or drywall installers. The roofers would come under the %10 of construction workers, but I think the skilled trades keep that overall percentage low.

LandscapeOnline.com :: Article : Report: 1 in 4 Landscape Workers Undocumented

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/46.pdf

I get it now. You are one of those people who google things, and then they become fact to you. You talk of these illegals in St. Mary's County being roofers and landscapers, but you have no concrete proof of that. You point out that they are Hispanic (Latino, can't remember which you used) and gave a post of a company which talked of hiring Hispanics, but NEVER spoke about illegal immigration, but the opposite.

So you are one of those people who have zero real life experience, but because of something you read on the internet want to play expert on the subject.

Ok.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I get it now. You are one of those people who google things, and then they become fact to you. You talk of these illegals in St. Mary's County being roofers and landscapers, but you have no concrete proof of that. You point out that they are Hispanic (Latino, can't remember which you used) and gave a post of a company which talked of hiring Hispanics, but NEVER spoke about illegal immigration, but the opposite.

So you are one of those people who have zero real life experience, but because of something you read on the internet want to play expert on the subject.

Ok.

The framers who put up my house were illegals. There was a group of 8 Mexicans framing the house. When I stopped by one day to walk through and check on the progress. Only one of the guys working spoke English. Most 30+ year old people in America who don;t speak English are probably illegals.

tom88

The framers who put up my house were illegals. There was a group of 8 Mexicans framing the house. When I stopped by one day to walk through and check on the progress. Only one of the guys working spoke English. Most 30+ year old people in America who don;t speak English are probably illegals.

How do you were illegals and not temporary workers? How do you know they were Mexicans?

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
How do you were illegals and not temporary workers? How do you know they were Mexicans?

they spoke Spanish and looked Mexican to me. I guess the could have been Hondurans or some other kind of Latin Americans. There actual country of origin has very little to do with the argument.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, thats me, zero life experience:) I use google to get exact data to bolster my own knowledge. Oddly enough it seems to match up with what I know by my own anecdotal evidence. Unlike yours, which seems to imply that here, we are the exception to the rule, and all the low wage workers who in the rest of the the country are made up of a larger percentage of illegals, here they are all legal.

Does that make sense? That we have an island of legal Hispanic aliens that occurs nowhere else in the country? Which part of 60,000 permits, and millions of workers didnt sink in? If I have millions of foreigners working millions of jobs, but only thousands of permits, it stands to reason that millions of them are illegals.

Last edited:

tom88

Yep, thats me, zero life experience:) I use google to get exact data to bolster my own knowledge. Oddly enough it seems to match up with what I know by my own anecdotal evidence. Unlike yours, which seems to imply that here, we are the exception to the rule, and all the low wage workers who in the rest of the the country are made up of a larger percentage of illegals, here they are all legal.
Does that make sense? That we have an island of legal Hispanic aliens that occurs nowhere else in the country? Which part of 60,000 permits, and millions of workers didnt sink in? If I have millions of foreigners working millions of jobs, but only thousands of permits, it stands to reason that millions of them are illegals.

No, what I have bolded for you makes no sense. "ALL the low wage worders who in the rest of the country are made up of larger percentage of illegals" So now 25% is a large percentage? That's enough to make you look at a roofer who is Hispanic and assume he is an illegal alien. You are a racist. Plain and simple. You see someone of Hispanic origin, working a low wage job and you think they are committing some sort of crime. That's no different than a Klans member purporting some of the crap they spew. I'm sure the Klan use statistics to bolster their lame arguments as well.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would say %25 is a large percentage. Not a majority, but still a large percentage. I didnt ever say that I assumed every hispanic is illegal, did I? But If I see a crew of five, I can be pretty sure one is illegal, following the numbers. Where is that racist?

awpitt

Main Streeter

And you have proof of this, how?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sorry, all I see is it possibly benefiting businesses that back up to it. I'm not convinced it will impact congestion all that much.
Do you think this is a bad thing? As I see it, helping businesses perform better will provide more jobs which in turn will provide more revenue which can then be used to either lower taxes or to hire the additional personnel.

sparkyaclown

Do you think this is a bad thing? As I see it, helping businesses perform better will provide more jobs which in turn will provide more revenue which can then be used to either lower taxes or to hire the additional personnel.

I doubt it will have that big of an impact on the businesses, especially the smaller ones, as of right now I can travel from BJ's to Walmart without touching 235. That string of stores are the ones who will probably reap the most benefit while negatively impacting the others. Your going to cross Chancelor's Run which is already majorly congested and so it will add to that problem. As far as jobs, you're at best creating minimum wage level jobs which is not a livable income. Your not gaining tax revenue off of these income levels so your not lowering taxes.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Getting a refund or having to pay is not an indication of one's tax payer status. It's just an indication of if that person withheld enough during the year or not. Also, renters pay proprty taxes as well. Those costs are passed to them by their landlords.

Stats? Link?

Renters pay, but the per capita amount is typically far less then the single family homeowner.
Don't forget, revenue is a result of the value of the property, and the higher density housing units going up typically have a lower market value then the McMansions yet the cost to the county is the same.
Plus when it comes to paying taxes, don't forget about military housing (on base) - the Navy doesn't pay a tax, they make a contribution. It's another area that might be recieving benefits in excess of the taxes they pay.

AeroGal said it well, there are a lot of services in the county that must be funded, everyone is sharing the pain. Let's not forget, we are talking about increasing the real estate tax, a tax is that is not predicated on the ability to pay but on some arbitrary figure. Increasing real estate taxes is a hardship on those on fixed incomes and those who are unemployed.

I read the recent proposal by Mr. Morgan and think it's a workable alternative. Any tax increase can bring negative consequences, the taxes and fees he wants to increase would appear to be the lower risk.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Let's not forget, we are talking about increasing the real estate tax, a tax is that is not predicated on the ability to pay but on some arbitrary figure. Increasing real estate taxes is a hardship on those on fixed incomes and those who are unemployed.

who cares if they increase the real estate tax. thats what I pay escrow for.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
the bank pays my taxes through escrow. I don;t care how much taxes cost. It doesn't effect my monthly housing payment.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
the bank pays my taxes through escrow. I don;t care how much taxes cost. It doesn't effect my monthly housing payment.

I think you need to take a finance class, you're going to be quite disappointed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

:eyebrow:

Your escrow the same as mine and everyone elses. My property taxes and/or HO insurance increase..so does the required total in my escrow account and hence so does the monthly payment.

My monthly payment has increased, at least some, nearly every year of the last 20!

Clue: You pay every penny of what is held in escrow..:howdy:.