Ooh baby! Who looked at their IRA/401K performance for 2020?

Chopticon64

We're planning on renting out our new home when its finished. Probably rent for around $3000/month. That's a dishonorable thing?
In these forums there is post after post talking about how things are getting worse among our communities, lots of ideas why that is.

I think most of us would prefer to live in neighborhoods where the majority of the households are owners, it’s just common sense that they care more about the community and become more active citizens in their neighborhoods because they have a financial stake in it.

By making a house a rental and siphoning off that money, you are denying a family the opportunity to build equity through home ownership and you degrade your neighborhood. Look in the mirror when you bitch about the downfall of society...what a despicable way to make a dollar.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I think most of us would prefer to live in neighborhoods where the majority of the households are owners, it’s just common sense that they care more about the community and become more active citizens in their neighborhoods because they have a financial stake in it.
Then get rid of Section 8.

HemiHauler

Meanwhile people can't afford groceries, gas, or housing......

But you keep being you.

And those people have no one to blame but themselves.

Money isn’t a store of value, it’s a medium of exchange. By design, central planners try to keep inflation ~2.5%. At best, your money loses 2.5% annually.

You want to protect your money? Buy assets.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In these forums there is post after post talking about how things are getting worse among our communities, lots of ideas why that is.

By making a house a rental and siphoning off that money, you are denying a family the opportunity to build equity through home ownership and you degrade your neighborhood. Look in the mirror when you bitch about the downfall of society...what a despicable way to make a dollar.
Many of the mansions being built in my hood, replacing the old homes that were there before in many cases, are summer/second homes. My neighbors on either side of my place and directly across the island creek from me have all converted their properties in to AirBnBs. Guess I'll live with my guilt...denying some po fammy a chance.

ontheriver

But your Chopticon friend has been telling me in this thread that I must sell my assets to the poor people to give them a chance. You two need to get your stories straight.
Multiple times in my life I've tried to help people. Every single one of them blew it. Some people just can't get out of their own way. Lesson learned.
Work hard. If you give someone something, they do not appreciate it. Put some skin in it, ...then you care.

Chopticon64

You all clearly aren’t getting my point, or just trolling me now.

I’m not talking about vacation areas, I’m not talking about you going homeless, I’m talking about what used to be family neighborhoods where it’s become rentals. That was unheard of 40-50 years ago, none of the areas I lived in PG and eventually St. Mary’s had anything but owners. But in the last 15 years it’s the thing to be a landlord.

It’s not a great way to build wealth, investing in VTSAX would have made you much wealthier with much less headache.

Want real estate? Buy a REIT.

No need to screw up your neighborhood and have to deal with a midnight call for a clogged toilet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Get off your soapbox blondie, there are always folks who cannot afford those items.
The bottom line is this, people who could afford to invest in appreciable assets, houses, land, gold, stocks are seeing a windfall due to Bidens runaway inflation, runaway spending and assault on the fossil fuel industry. You cannot have inflation at approximately 20% and not have appreciable assets appreciate in value unless we go into a recession. This is a goldilocks scenario for the folks who have invested in these items.

So as long as the rich get richer, it's okay with you?

HemiHauler

So as long as the rich get richer, it's okay with you?

Oh you sweet summer child….

You sound like those Gen Z loser “go labor!” Marxists on Reddit you’d otherwise be lampooning if you weren’t so terribly confused.

How much money is “too much”?

Chopticon64

Multiple times in my life I've tried to help people. Every single one of them blew it. Some people just can't get out of their own way. Lesson learned.
Work hard. If you give someone something, they do not appreciate it. Put some skin in it, ...then you care.
I agree with you, about all of this.

But 40 years ago people were building houses and when people moved they didn’t hold onto the old homes and rent them out.

There is NO new housing and everyone wants to be a landlord.

You can do that, be a landlord.

You can annihilate communities, just so you can get that bloomin onion