Open Discussion: Children Left in Cars

GregV814

My 2 cents worth and I am shutting up on this topic...I can think of no more henious CRIME than to leave an infant/child in a car and write it off as "just an airheaded day". What is more sacred than a child we care for? That text message? The meeting with the boss? That important errad at WalMart?

GW8345

Not White House Approved
This thread is more of a bloody mess than the latest post in The Ladies Room.

That's because people are just using this thread to attack other members instead of posting their opinion of the thread's subject.

mitzi

People, pay attention to your children. Be aware of them. Get off the goddamn phone. When you have your child in your presence that should be your focus and the most important thing to you - their safety.

Totally agree about the cell phones. They are nothing than a major distraction and a good possibility was a factor in this tragedy. People make fun of me because I don't multi task very well. Sorry, I want to pay attention to what I'm doing. The other day in the store I saw a protective cover for a bluetooth while you're in the shower. WTH???
At work, my co worker said she couldn't reach me (she was out of the office). Why couldn't she reach me? She was calling on my cell phone which is in my purse at work in the cabinet. Why the h*ell she didn't call me on the main office phone which I answer is beyond me. I don't use my cell at work and won't use my cell at work other to look at it periodically for a possible emergency call from my family. Sorry to go off on a cell phone rant but people seem to not forget their phones but forget their children.

KDENISE977

Totally agree about the cell phones. They are nothing than a major distraction and a good possibility was a factor in this tragedy. People make fun of me because I don't multi task very well. Sorry, I want to pay attention to what I'm doing. The other day in the store I saw a protective cover for a bluetooth while you're in the shower. WTH???
At work, my co worker said she couldn't reach me (she was out of the office). Why couldn't she reach me? She was calling on my cell phone which is in my purse at work in the cabinet. Why the h*ell she didn't call me on the main office phone which I answer is beyond me. I don't use my cell at work and won't use my cell at work other to look at it periodically for a possible emergency call from my family. Sorry to go off on a cell phone rant but people seem to not forget their phones but forget their children.

TOTALLY agree with the cell phones too. While I'll admit, I have/do use it while driving, NEVER EVER when my son is in the car with me. It's horrible pulling up in front to pick my son up from daycare and all the mothers are on the phone in their cars the minute they buckle the child in the seat... I get so frustrated !!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Since the OP of the now deleted thread got all butt hurt that people actually had strong opinions and deleted the previous thread here is a new thread for open discussion. You don’t have to worry about this thread being deleted since I’m not a premo member and the only person who could delete this thread is Vrai.

So have at it, what your thoughts on this subject, not just what happened here but this topic in general.

That's because people are just using this thread to attack other members instead of posting their opinion of the thread's subject.

Pot meet kettle.

Geek

Baby in Car Words Please SMALL.png

This community is probably one of the most caring I've ever encountered. I'm willing to bet every single adult in this forum would put their fist through a car window to help a child. I see all the rage, the helplessness and caring in these threads. All of our hearts hurt for this family. Awareness is the only thing we can spread. We can't rewind time, unfortunately. The alarm solution is not perfect. I pray that the technology develops quickly and inexpensively because that would be best. In the meantime, set your alarm. Think of it as a seat belt, or putting the chemicals up high. Encourage your friends to do the same.

mitzi

TOTALLY agree with the cell phones too. While I'll admit, I have/do use it while driving, NEVER EVER when my son is in the car with me. It's horrible pulling up in front to pick my son up from daycare and all the mothers are on the phone in their cars the minute they buckle the child in the seat... I get so frustrated !!!

I can't talk on it while driving. I ran thru a stop sign once doing that and never did it again (like I said, I don't multi task well except at work because I have to). I came across a child maybe 3 or 4 years old crying in an aisle at the grocery story once. Myself and another woman stood there with her trying to comfort her until the adult came to find her. Mom finally comes, yells at the kid for wandering off and we got the dirty looks, all while she was still on the phone.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
View attachment 104463

This community is probably one of the most caring I've ever encountered. I'm willing to bet every single adult in this forum would put their fist through a car window to help a child. I see all the rage, the helplessness and caring in these threads. All of our hearts hurt for this family. Awareness is the only thing we can spread. We can't rewind time, unfortunately. The alarm solution is not perfect. I pray that the technology develops quickly and inexpensively because that would be best. In the meantime, set your alarm. Think of it as a seat belt, or putting the chemicals up high. Encourage your friends to do the same.
No an attack on your opinion but the technology already exists, it's called the human brain, some parents just need to use it.

MarieB

It is actually switch tasking and not multi tasking that most people are doing, and it really lowers productivity. I laugh at every employment classified that lists this as a desirable trait. Being able to prioritize and not run out the door crying when having to do so would be better things to list. Of course, employers should do their part to help make one more productive (see above)

This study is specific to media multitasking, but I read an article awhile back that wasn't specific to media but rather everyday things we do at work. If I find it, I'll post it

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/august24/multitask-research-study-082409.html

Sorry, it's off topic but I think relevant

MDChick

While I'll admit, I have/do use it while driving, NEVER EVER when my son is in the car with me.

Why is it okay when you're alone but not when your son is in the car? Clearly you recognize the danger. Do you not understand that you share the road with other people and their little children?

GW8345

Not White House Approved
A link from the other thread;

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/09/04/caught-tape-ca-firefighters-rescue-toddler-hot-car

I don't know why people leave their kids in the car to run a "simple" or "quick" errand, I never left my kid in the car, alway lugged him around, even when I stopped at 7-11 and could see the car I still lugged him in with me.

Parents need to stop being lazy, you have a kid, lug their ass with you every where you go or get a freaking babysitter.

mitzi

It is actually switch tasking and not multi tasking that most people are doing, and it really lowers productivity. I laugh at every employment classified that lists this as a desirable trait. Being able to prioritize and not run out the door crying when having to do so would be better things to list. Of course, employers should do their part to help make one more productive (see above)
This study is specific to media multitasking, but I read an article awhile back that wasn't specific to media but rather everyday things we do at work. If I find it, I'll post it

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/august24/multitask-research-study-082409.html

Sorry, it's off topic but I think relevant

Thanks, will read. I can handle it at work because I have to and always have. Point was people look at you like your ancient if you don't have your cell attached to your hip (or ear). There's a time and a place for it and it's too distracting from what you should be focusing on (ie, your child). A friend of mine recently lost (as in hit by a car) her pet for being on the cell outside and not realizing the little dog had wandered off until it was too late and heard tires screeching. I'm way off topic here too.

BernieP

Resident PIA
So many questions / points a simple quote and comment is not going to work.
See my response in red.
To pick up where the other now deleted thread left off (from what I can remember);

Is society so mindless today that we must set reminders to take care of our children?
Yes, technology has thrown a lot of distractions into our daily life. I don't think anyone can argue that we are also a society "in a hurry".
We are asked to do more with less (and that includes time). As an example, when I was a kid, I got myself to practice and dad got there AFTER he got home from work. Nobody had to rush home to get me there. I don't care if it's youth or high school, the job of transporting your children to/from practice and games falls on the parents, the kids can't walk there and there are no school buses.

In the previous thread I’ve read that “it could happen to anyone”, “it was an accident”, it was a tragic “mistake”. As I’ve stated, actions have consequences and one of the consequences of not paying attention to the important things in life, your children, is injury/death.

"accident" and "consequences" are not mutually exclusive. As a society we put a premium on life, therefore we punish the taking of a life with the most severe sentence. But the law recognizes that there is a difference between the deliberate, intentional, taking of a life and an "accident".

Now people are saying that it must be nice to be a perfect parent since I’ve never had this situation happen to me, well the thing is, I’m not a perfect parent, far from it, but I strive every day to be one. I consciously think about the welfare of my children, just like millions of parents do, every day, and like other parents, I am aware that my actions directly impact the welfare of my children. This parent didn’t and we are now discussing the results of his actions. I’ve heard the excuse “he was on auto-pilot” and other excuses that justify his actions, well; there is no excuse to justify his actions. Just like a drunk driver has an excuse for his actions (their drinking is a disease), this parent does not have a valid excuse for leaving his child in a hot car, even after he went and drove it a meeting in the middle of the day.

There is a significant difference between making a concious decision to leave the child in the car and having a brain fart and forgetting. It does not justify what happened, it explains how it happened. If you can't for a minute put yourself in the other persons place and understand what may have happened, but merely want an eye for an eye because it would never happen to you, well that's when you put yourself on the perfect parent pedistal.
Hard to imagine because it was a child. But I know parents that have driven to work with the car seat in the car (after dropping the child off), when it was habit to leave the seat for the person picking the child up at the end of the day. Have you ever driven to work and realized you left something at home?

This isn’t about being a perfect parent, there is no such thing as a perfect parent (IMO), it’s an unattainable goal but no matter what, it’s still worth striving to achieve. One must think about one’s actions and how they affect other’s, look at the affect this parent’s actions had, a child is dead, a mother has lost not only her child but her marriage and her life will never be the same, she has probably lost the trust she once had for her husband (that trust will never be regained), the man she loved will never be the same, a brother has lost his sibling, his relationship with his father has forever changed and not for the good, the grandparents have lost a grandchild and are now caught up in the middle of this situation. Your actions just don’t just affect you, it affects everyone around you.

Now people say don’t judge, well if we don’t judge a person’s bad behavior and actions as a society are we ever going to make society a better place? Look at society today, it’s a blameless society, when someone does something bad it’s because of some external reason or disease, hardly anyone takes responsibility for their actions anymore. People say we shouldn’t shame this person, that they already have enough guilt, to that, I say BS. This person should have thought about the consequences of his actions before he did them, afterwards is too late. Part of being held accountable for your actions is taking the punishment, as part of the punishment is being judged by your peers (society) and shaming is a way we as a society voice our displeasure of one’s actions.

As I’ve stated, this is not an accident, an accident is something that can’t be avoided, a mistake is something that is just a harmless inconvenience; a mistake is bouncing a check or forgetting to put gas in your car. When a person is injured or killed due to negligence, that is not an accident or mistake, it’s the actions of an irresponsible person and is 100% avoidable. There were several times this incident could have been avoided, but the father ignored every one of them and now we are discussing the end result.

I feel, as a society, we need to stop making excuses for these kinds of actions, for making excuses alleviates the person of their responsibility and partially absolves them of the guilt. The “it wasn’t his fault, his brain was in auto-pilot”, the “it was an honest mistake”, the “it was an accident” only re-enforces to society that this behavior, while tragic, is acceptable to a degree. There is no acceptance for leaving your child in a hot car because you are too absorbed in something else besides that most important thing in your life, that child.

As I said above, the law recognizes degrees of responsibility in many crimes. Nothing excuses the result, what it does is explan the circumstances.
Good people have bad days. Driving drunk is agains the law, therefore being drunk does not make it merely an accident. But you rarely if ever see a DUI involved in a fatal accident being charged with murder in the first degree. If someone falls asleep behind the wheel they are not relieved of responiblity, but based on the circumstance their punishment is less than a DIU. Commercial drivers are held to a higher level of responsinbitliy in accidents because they are regulated.
I've had a LEO tell me he didn't write traffic tickets in certain cases because the punishment the driver would recive via higher insurance rates would be far worse than the ticket (non-fatal collision from failing to yield the right of way at a traffic signal). If the courts and law enforcement exercise a degree of discretion based on circumstances, why don't you?
If you want to be rigid, see everything as black and white, than also accept that people are going to label you as passing judgment from on high.

itsrequired

Sorry, folks, every single person I've relayed this story to has said, "How in the hell does that happen??"

It's negligence, pure and simple, and I'm sure that guy feels beyond devastated but that doesn't negate the reality of the situation. Rather than give him sympathy, why wouldn't we be reminding parents to be more mindful when it comes to their children? That their child is more important than their work, or their errands, or their phone calls? To soft peddle and white wash it does a disservice to that baby. Call it what it is: negligence. And this guy paid an enormous price for his.

People, pay attention to your children. Be aware of them. Get off the goddamn phone. When you have your child in your presence that should be your focus and the most important thing to you - their safety.

Feel free to get all pissed off and call me names - I don't give a damn.

Why can't you feel both. Negligent? Yea, I would say 100% negligent. Almost every accident that occurs is based on some negligence. For the purpose of this discussion I am assuming this was not done intentionally. That doesn't negate that fact that, based on the information at hand, this guy was seemingly a good person who loved his kids. If that's true and he didn't intentionally do this, he must be devistated. This babies life is gone, but his life will never be the same. He is in pain because of a mistake he made. We have all made mistakes. Maybe not leave baby in the car mistakes, but none of us are perfect.

Someone said something about would it be different if this guy was playing video games or something like that. Of course it would. There are a million different things which could change this to make me angry at this guy. I am about as cold hearted as it comes, especially to people who hurt kids. I just can't wrap my head around hating someone who made a mistake which is going to haunt him for the rest of his life.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion and I don't think it wrong of those of you who feel this way. It's your compassion for the child, but I also can understand why those who don't feel that way are compasionate towards the father.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He is in pain because of a mistake he made.

You know, I hope so. Not that I'm "glad" or anything like that, but a mistake that enormous needs to carry some weight. And I hope he is remorseful. I was a bit haunted by that WashPo article - Lyn Balfour comes across as a sociopath who was like, "Oh well :yawn:" over the death of her child that she left to broil in the car. She still drives the car her child died in, saying it didn't make economic sense to get a new one. That's cold and this woman is a frightening creature if she is accurately portrayed in that story.

I hope Mr. Junek isn't like that.

ReadingTheNews

- Lyn Balfour comes across as a sociopath who was like, "Oh well :yawn:" over the death of her child that she left to broil in the car. .... That's cold and this woman is a frightening creature if she is accurately portrayed in that story.

/snip
Not everyone is prone to hyperbolic histrionics.
In the same story, it also says that she grieves/cries in private.

:ohwell: