Painting over a wall painted red

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Some kind of cultists live there before?...devil worshipers?...Druids?

No. :lol: I think she was going for a Coca Cola theme (red, white, black) in the kitchen area and wanted to tone down the red to give it an antique-y feel. Fail! :lmao:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
No. :lol: I think she was going for a Coca Cola theme (red, white, black) in the kitchen area and wanted to tone down the red to give it an antique-y feel. Fail! :lmao:

Isn't Red, White and Black Motorcraft colors?

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I've seen that technique, or something similar, in Tuscan design. It works well with the right colors, and an experienced hand.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've seen that technique, or something similar, in Tuscan design. It works well with the right colors, and an experienced hand.

I think that was what she was going for but lack of experience and the wrong color choices led to epic failure. My job is wipe the slate clean so it is a distant memory. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Is that color called cat house red?

:yikes: I hope not. I prefer to think of it as "Coca Cola" red. :lol:

Things I have garnered so far in researching how to cover up that awful paint:

• Use a water based primer.
  • Scrub the wall with a 3 to 1 solution of Spic-n-Span and let dry completely before applying primer.
  • Use a grey tinted primer if going from dark to light paint color.
  • A stain-blocking primer will help prevent bleed through.
  • Good brands: Kilz Premium, Glidden Gripper, Zinser Bullseye.

Still researching. :coffee:

PeoplesElbow

:yikes: I hope not. I prefer to think of it as "Coca Cola" red. :lol:

Things I have garnered so far in researching how to cover up that awful paint:

• Use a water based primer.
  • Scrub the wall with a 3 to 1 solution of Spic-n-Span and let dry completely before applying primer.
  • Use a grey tinted primer if going from dark to light paint color.
  • A stain-blocking primer will help prevent bleed through.
  • Good brands: Kilz Premium, Glidden Gripper, Zinser Bullseye.

Still researching. :coffee:

I wouldn't use Spic-n-Span myself, any foo-foo cleaner could leave a residue that keeps the paint from sticking. Unless your walls are greasy or something (being the kitchen and all) I wouldn't bother washing them. If you feel you need to get the crud off though I would stick to something like ammonia or white vinegar.

Do you have stains? Shellac based primer is the absolute best thing there is for blocking things like smoke, tannin, etc stains those things just laugh at water based paints and will work their way though in no time. Working with it sucks, but it will stick to anything and block any stain I have ever seen. I just use it for spot covering because as I said working with it sucks, it is hard to get a good smooth surface when doing a big area. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...sser/primer-sealers/b-i-n-shellac-base-primer

I didn't even find the Kilz Premium very good at covering, their Odorless (which is oil based and anything but odorless btw) is excellent primer though and what I used to cover previously wallpapered walls. The Kilz 2 water based was a complete waste of money. I've used the Glidden Gripper and it was pretty good. Valspar also makes some excellent primer btw.

I also don't think you can go wrong with any of the Sherwin Williams paints.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I wouldn't use Spic-n-Span myself, any foo-foo cleaner could leave a residue that keeps the paint from sticking. Unless your walls are greasy or something (being the kitchen and all) I wouldn't bother washing them. If you feel you need to get the crud off though I would stick to something like ammonia or white vinegar.

Do you have stains? Shellac based primer is the absolute best thing there is for blocking things like smoke, tannin, etc stains those things just laugh at water based paints and will work their way though in no time. Working with it sucks, but it will stick to anything and block any stain I have ever seen. I just use it for spot covering because as I said working with it sucks, it is hard to get a good smooth surface when doing a big area. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...sser/primer-sealers/b-i-n-shellac-base-primer

Just going by what I read and the majority said to use that or laundry detergent to clean it. I am not sure what kind of residue is on the wall (hard to tell with all the red and black) and I want to make sure it is prepped properly.

I didn't even find the Kilz Premium very good at covering, their Odorless (which is oil based and anything but odorless btw) is excellent primer though and what I used to cover previously wallpapered walls. The Kilz 2 water based was a complete waste of money. I've used the Glidden Gripper and it was pretty good. Valspar also makes some excellent primer btw.

I also don't think you can go wrong with any of the Sherwin Williams paints.

I have used Valspar paint and it was great, so that is good to hear. Thanks for the advice on the other products. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Progress! Many thanks to GW for coming over and filling my holes. :jet: Nice to catch up and thanks for dinner, too. ::smooch:

20180815_203247.jpg