Painting over a wall painted red

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Wash your walls with TSP.
Ace, Lowe's, Home and I'm sure all professional paint stores carry it.
View attachment 124319

I've used that stuff before and it is pretty nasty although effective. Great for cleaning mildew and as a degreaser. Thanks for the info but I don't think it will be necessary. We inspected the wall closely and itis pretty clean so a good wipe down is all it needs.

black dog

Free America
I thought real TSP products were banned back in 2010, and a TSP substitute is being sold. Has that changed?

I understand it can still be sold as a degreaser in most states.
Here's a 5 lb box for 11.50

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...50058&wl11=online&wl12=21986094&wl13=&veh=sem

download (1).jpg

PeoplesElbow

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Have you painted your wall yet?

Time has been a precious commodity this week and I had none to spare on the wall this week. But it will be history come this weekend. I am on a mission now. :lol:

Gray tinted primer.

Kilz isn't the best primer, it is actually pretty low on pigment. Zinsser Bullseye is much better.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...mer-sealers/bulls-eye-1-2-3-water-base-primer

I found a brand new and unopened gallon of this that was left behind in the house so decided to go with it. AND...it is tinted grey. :yahoo: Used it a little to prime over the repair job GW did to the holes in the wall. Good stuff. :yay:

PeoplesElbow

Time has been a precious commodity this week and I had none to spare on the wall this week. But it will be history come this weekend. I am on a mission now. :lol:

I found a brand new and unopened gallon of this that was left behind in the house so decided to go with it. AND...it is tinted grey. :yahoo: Used it a little to prime over the repair job GW did to the holes in the wall. Good stuff. :yay:

How fortuitous!

I just came from Lowes, was buying cheap paint for my garage and noticed that Zinnser Bullseye now comes premixed in addition to white.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
How fortuitous!

Yes, figure it saved me a good $20+ on just that. There is also a half gallon of that hideous red that needs to find its way to the dump. :lol:

I just came from Lowes, was buying cheap paint for my garage and noticed that Zinnser Bullseye now comes premixed in addition to white.

Good to know. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bye-bye red! Still wet so it looks really uneven but getting there.

20180825_210524.jpg

Will probably need a second coat to cover that red. :burning:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The red wall is officially dead! Just put the first coat of paint over the two coats of primer. :yay: Hard to tell from the picture as it is still wet but the color is actually a soft blue with a hint of green called "Sea Air" in a satin finish. The color in the paint tray better shows it but it dries darker.

Big shout out to Scott in the paint department at Lowe's for helping me decide on the type of paint and finish. :clap:

painted wall.jpg

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It's a nice looking color, from the photo! Good job! :yay:

Thanks. Pretty cool color in that it changes based on the light. It looked almost mint green when I first got up this morning, but by the time more light came in from the skylight above it, the color looked more like a soft blue/light teal.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Looks great, nice color choice.

Thanks, I am really loving it now. Going to put a second coat on tonight or over the weekend as I can still see some grey bleeding through. And paint the little 3 foot wall beside it to match. Fortunately it is NOT red and the white will cover easily. :lol: