Pittbulls...not for the weak stomach..

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Mikeinsmd said:
You missed the point Tink. The video is propaganda in defense of pitbulls. A poor one at that. Showing pictures of starving, emancipated dogs does little to defend them.

There are plenty of threads on this subject and I don't want Pixie to punch me in the leg, so I'll stay off the soapbox.

Kudos to Jameo for recognizing that one of her pups may be less than friendly to strangers. I've heard great things about her dogs and the pictures are awesome.

The video is a tacky piece of crap in my opinion.

So because the Pit Bull is unpredictable and aggressive, it's okay to treat them like crap?

Interesting.

Jameo

What?!
SouthernMdRocks said:
Pitbulls are unpredictable to say the least. I am now suffering the loss of my mini mare due to the attack on her at 1 am while she was asleep in the pasture by two of these dogs. The damage done to her was horrible. She lost her battle to live this past Sunday. The owner/s of the pitbulls didn't even have these dogs in a kennel. As I later found out, one of the pitbulls unprovoked attacked one of their other dogs very agressively just a few weeks prior to their attack on my horse. Oh but they have been "sweet" other then that!!, was a comment made to me. Yes, Pitbulls can be and are very dangerous especially if their owners are irresponsible.

ANY dog can be dangerous if their owners are irresponsible!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jameo said:
But some dogs are more dangerous than others. If a Pomeranian goes after you, you're going to have a few scars. If a pitbull goes after you, you're done.

German Shepherds are bad ass dogs - if one decides to take after you, you're going to be in for a hurtin'. But there's a reason why cops and security personnel use GS dogs and not pitbulls.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
vraiblonde said:
Nobody said that.

Okay. But the video shows that the Pit Bull is being used by people for dogfighting and being abused by those people to make them meaner and hungry so they'll fight better. And they get torn to shreds in these fights, which the owners could care less about. But because it's a Pit Bull video, everyone says it's propaganda and Pit Bulls are aggressive so you can't trust them. No one seems to care about how they are being treated. What if it was a different breed in the video? Would people be more upset at their treatment? I'm just not understanding why the Pit Bull is singled out as being mean when there are plenty of other breeds that are just as aggressive.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
vraiblonde said:
But some dogs are more dangerous than others. If a Pomeranian goes after you, you're going to have a few scars. If a pitbull goes after you, you're done.

German Shepherds are bad ass dogs - if one decides to take after you, you're going to be in for a hurtin'. But there's a reason why cops and security personnel use GS dogs and not pitbulls.

They also use Rotti's. But now, they are shying away from GS because of the hip problems. I can't remember the name of the breed off the top of my head, but they look like GS's, but they are a little bit smaller.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Jameo said:

:yeahthat: And the only two pennies I'm going to add to this thread that hasn't already been mentioned is that pit bulls have a propencity toward animal agression, not people. The reason you hear so much of pit bull attacks is because they're the favorite of the media right now. It use to be dobbies with brains that swelled, then rotties, now it's pits. Fear breeds hate. They have the potential to cause great damage and when an attack occurs great damage is usually done and thus gets more attention.

And Vrai's statement about owners of dogs that have attacked coming to defense of their dogs by claiming "that it was such a sweet dog...." :barf: Really these are really very upstanding members of society aren't they? 9 times out of 10 the people are bigger pieces of $hit than the dog that attacked. Just like when little Johnny robs the 7-11 and kills 3 people in the process, you can believe that momma will be there talking bout what a good boy he's always been. Environment plays a big role.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Softballkid said:
They also use Rotti's. But now, they are shying away from GS because of the hip problems. I can't remember the name of the breed off the top of my head, but they look like GS's, but they are a little bit smaller.

Belgian Malinois

Cowgirl

Softballkid said:

Belgian Malinios, a version of a Belgian shephered......

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:

And you're absolutely incorrect. Law enforcement in the past few years have taken great interest in Pits as working dogs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tinkerbell said:
Okay. But the video shows that the Pit Bull is being used by people for dogfighting and being abused by those people to make them meaner and hungry so they'll fight better.
You know that happens all over the world, right? And that every US state has laws against dog fighting?

The video is clearly trying to make the case that the dogs themselves aren't inherently aggressive, it's only the way humans treat them that makes them mean. I like to call it "The Pixie Defense" (PS, she'll be in here any minute with her head spinning off her neck).

Responsible pitbull owners realize that they have a potential weapon and take care to keep it under control and not put the dog in situations that could end in disaster. It's the ones who believe that pits aren't aggressive unless taught to be that are the problem.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
pixiegirl said:
And you're absolutely incorrect. Law enforcement in the past few years have taken great interest in Pits as working dogs.
There she is!! :huggy:

When cops replace GS with pits, let me know.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
You know that happens all over the world, right? And that every US state has laws against dog fighting?

The video is clearly trying to make the case that the dogs themselves aren't inherently aggressive, it's only the way humans treat them that makes them mean. I like to call it "The Pixie Defense" (PS, she'll be in here any minute with her head spinning off her neck).

Responsible pitbull owners realize that they have a potential weapon and take care to keep it under control and not put the dog in situations that could end in disaster. It's the ones who believe that pits aren't aggressive unless taught to be that are the problem.

No real defense for your stance so you put words in my mouth? I've never once said that Pits don't have agression issues or aren't dangerous. As a matter of fact I've stated the opposite; they are in fact capable of doing much damage and they are absolutely animal aggressive. It comes down to irresposible owners and people like you that buy into media hype.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Tinkerbell said:
Okay. But the video shows that the Pit Bull is being used by people for dogfighting and being abused by those people to make them meaner and hungry so they'll fight better. And they get torn to shreds in these fights, which the owners could care less about. But because it's a Pit Bull video, everyone says it's propaganda and Pit Bulls are aggressive so you can't trust them. No one seems to care about how they are being treated. What if it was a different breed in the video? Would people be more upset at their treatment? I'm just not understanding why the Pit Bull is singled out as being mean when there are plenty of other breeds that are just as aggressive.

Any bad treatment of any breed should not be tolerated. Facts are that Pitbulls are unpredictable and the damage they cause is unbelievable. I'm sure that there are Pitbulls that are wonderful pets, but you never know if and when something will trigger them.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
My buddy has a Pit, and he is nice as can be, they also have a chiuawa(sp) the taco bell dog that weighs like 2lbs. They play just fine ALL the time, sleep in the same rooms, whole 9 yards, my Rotti plays with his Pit all the time...

Never have any issues with them. we normally shoot pool in the garage while they run around in the back yard

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
There she is!! :huggy:

When cops replace GS with pits, let me know.

Again with the words in my mouth. I never said they were going to replace anything. I said they've taken interest in making them working dogs. :yay: