Point Lookout/St Georges Island areas

NTNG

Should they voluntarily evacuate?

With TS Ernesto, I was part of the Fire/EMS crew that went door-to-door on SGI, after the evac. order was issued. We had a sheriff's duece and 1/2, offering people rides as the water was rising, and cars were not going to work. Some people did not want to leave. We told them once we left, no one was coming for them if they called 911. If they still refused, I offered a sharpie pen to write thier ssn on their forearm, so afterwards, if need be, they could be identified. Suddenly,lots of folks decided a ride to the dry side of the bridge was a good idea...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
With TS Ernesto, I was part of the Fire/EMS crew that went door-to-door on SGI, after the evac. order was issued. We had a sheriff's duece and 1/2, offering people rides as the water was rising, and cars were not going to work. Some people did not want to leave. We told them once we left, no one was coming for them if they called 911. If they still refused, I offered a sharpie pen to write thier ssn on their forearm, so afterwards, if need be, they could be identified. Suddenly,lots of folks decided a ride to the dry side of the bridge was a good idea...

That was my brother in our Carolina skiff that helped load the old lady in the wheelchair from her house stoop over to the guys in the deuce..:yay: Water was plenty deep at that point.

We couldn't leave though..had a pig roast going on that weekend.:evil:

NTNG

That was my brother in our Carolina skiff that helped load the old lady in the wheelchair from her house stoop over to the guys in the deuce..:yay: Water was plenty deep at that point.

We couldn't leave though..had a pig roast going on that weekend.:evil:

I remember that! I'm 6'3, and it was up to my waist. Cool part was going ALL the way down, to Point Of Land. You could not tell where the guys yard met the water, because the water had come iall the way up to say hello. Walking him out, there was a kids < teen agers > bike leaning up against the fence. All you could see was the very top of the seat.

Heard the girls had a blast on thier Best. Weekend. Evah.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Heard the girls had a blast on thier Best. Weekend. Evah.

They wanted me to buy the whole island so they could set up a winery and never leave. LOL! It did tiurn out ot be the perfect weekend for them, weatherwise.

I told them the best they could expect is to do it again next year.:whistle:

buddscreekman

I've been looking at the alerts as they are posted and I see that Calvert has designated a safe shelter,but St.Mary's has not. I know of several families down in both areas who are out of luck if they have to leave and find a hotel...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Man, if I were smart I'd book a room at the SGI hotel for the weekend. What a great place to watch the storm!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I were at Point Lookout or St. George Island, I would voluntarily evacuate.

Okay, that's a lie - I'd stay with my home and kitties. But the logical and safest thing to do would be evacuate.

I live there..and have through many a hurricane. If you have the ability to be completely self sufficient in every respect for a week or so, and have structures to live in that are hurricane resistant, elevated, etc..then yr OK. But the time to find out yr less prepared than you thought is never during and after the storm.

After Isabel, I took one of our big lifted beater 4x4 trucks and had the sherrifs department (greatfully) designate it an official resuce vehicle so we could pass on and off through blockade. We made many trips on and back off the island, as we cut our way throught the trees blocking the road, picking up all the people we found trying to wade off the island in waist and chest deep water or standing in their yards thinkiong about trying to. (Very modified/lifted off road truck..) To say they were happy to see me was an understatement..on one run we had it so full that folks were riding out sitting on the hood.

NTNG

I've been looking at the alerts as they are posted and I see that Calvert has designated a safe shelter,but St.Mary's has not. I know of several families down in both areas who are out of luck if they have to leave and find a hotel...

They can contact the SDVFDRS < Company 6 > in Valley Lee. They open up thier "social hall" to the public in weather emergencies. They have some "Army cots" and blankets. Anyone planning on going there needs to bring bedding, and perhaps some munchies. They do not have the resources to feed a bunch of folks.

poster

I'll re-phrase the question. I meant,do you think these areas will evacuate on a mass level or even as a mandatory as Ocean City has. Granted we aren't near the ocean here but when you watch the news projections it shows an area of extreme impact being not only O.C.,but also including a portion of SMC. I've not heard any news of shelters being offered or set up for an emergency and that seems odd given the projections for these areas. So I wonder are people in these parts of SMC simply going to ride it out,leave on their own,or will there be a last minute shelter situation set up. During Isabel Spring Ridge was a designated shelter area and this was established fairly early on but this time around nothing. We are planning to be out of town,decided to take an early vacation weekend,but what about people who cannot afford a hotel? Are they just s.o.l.?

It seems you are already nervous, don't know the condition of your home but I would seek out shelters now. They'll probably be listed soon if not already because those areas are now under a hurricane warning. Try calling the non emergency local fire dept.

If St.George's Isl is evacuated they will attempt to go door to door, if they reach you and you choose not to leave you will be made to sign acknowledgment that there will be no emergency services and give your info. In all seriousness the 'info' is for morbid reasons, like when they can't find you.....

In Calvert, the shelters will open at 12n Sat.
I'm sure St. Mary's will be doing the same.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Suffice it to say, a shelter will be opened up in St. Mary's County within the next 24 hours

buddscreekman

It seems you are already nervous, don't know the condition of your home but I would seek out shelters now. They'll probably be listed soon if not already because those areas are now under a hurricane warning. Try calling the non emergency local fire dept.

If St.George's Isl is evacuated they will attempt to go door to door, if they reach you and you choose not to leave you will be made to sign acknowledgment that there will be no emergency services and give your info. In all seriousness the 'info' is for morbid reasons, like when they can't find you.....

In Calvert, the shelters will open at 12n Sat.
I'm sure St. Mary's will be doing the same.

I'm very nervous. My in-laws live in Ridge in a tiny modular home,and they have no car. My sister-in-law lives in Valley Lee. I unfortunately have multiple family members who have no internet and are elderly and live in those areas so it appears to be on me to find them a safe place to go. Our house is not an option simply too many people for 2500 sq.ft.

buddscreekman

And I'll tell you what I'm really worried about,it isn't any storm surge or flooding,it's the wind. I worry about a tree falling through their house or something like that. I know tornadoes often accompany hurricanes.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Man, if I were smart I'd book a room at the SGI hotel for the weekend. What a great place to watch the storm!

I've been thinking the same thing :lmao: Have we had a good storm since it was built? Think I'll see how they make it through this storm - maybe the next one!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm very nervous. My in-laws live in Ridge in a tiny modular home,and they have no car. My sister-in-law lives in Valley Lee. I unfortunately have multiple family members who have no internet and are elderly and live in those areas so it appears to be on me to find them a safe place to go. Our house is not an option simply too many people for 2500 sq.ft.

Yeah, those folks need to move to safety. Shelters will be opening tomorrow at noon, I think. If you need help with transportation, PM me and I'll be happy to go get some of them and take them where they need to be.

buddscreekman

Yeah, those folks need to move to safety. Shelters will be opening tomorrow at noon, I think. If you need help with transportation, PM me and I'll be happy to go get some of them and take them where they need to be.

I actually thought about this while thing and just the way they are in general. And I told a white lie. I called my m.i.l. and said hey,I just heard your area is being evacuated and it's mandatory. She freaked and said she heard you can get arrested if you refuse to leave. I said yeah buddy,so you better come with me when I show up in the morning! They're in their 80's and still refuse to watch any channels they think they aren't supposed to get through Metrocast because "they can drive by your house and tell". So I think I've scared them into working with me. Does anyone know,in the L.H.S. shelter will there be beds or do I need to bring something? I know about linens,but I mean an actual surface. I'm thinking of bringing a big rolled up memory foam topper if need be.

mitzi

I actually thought about this while thing and just the way they are in general. And I told a white lie. I called my m.i.l. and said hey,I just heard your area is being evacuated and it's mandatory. She freaked and said she heard you can get arrested if you refuse to leave. I said yeah buddy,so you better come with me when I show up in the morning! They're in their 80's and still refuse to watch any channels they think they aren't supposed to get through Metrocast because "they can drive by your house and tell". So I think I've scared them into working with me. Does anyone know,in the L.H.S. shelter will there be beds or do I need to bring something? I know about linens,but I mean an actual surface. I'm thinking of bringing a big rolled up memory foam topper if need be.

Check the county website. The information is on there. Why don't you let your 80 something inlaws stay at your house, it's just for a day? It has to be better than crammed in the high school shelter.