Police chief's accrued vacation & sick leave > $500,000.00

PeoplesElbow

I have 6 months of sick leave on the books.

Me too, got close to 200 annual leave also.

I always wonder about the people that have worked for the government for 30 years and never seem to have any leave. I work with someone who takes the day off the instant he accrues the 9 hrs.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

I always wonder about the people that have worked for the government for 30 years and never seem to have any leave. I work with someone who takes the day off the instant he accrues the 9 hrs.

I think I have about 160 hrs. use or lose.
And I hit the 30 years in a few months.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
is NOT in the citizens best interest.

I think you are onto something here. His rate of compensation is over $1,100 a day. Surely he was paid way less than that when he first started accumulating his time.

Hannibal

Yes there are ..... but their rate isn't comprised only of their base rate. It's inclusive of their base rate, burdens, administrative costs, home/office/rent expenses, profit, etc. I believe in the above story, we're simply talking this guys direct pay/salary which doesn't cover any additional expenses covered by the City for each hour paid out.

This is all a crock honestly. I mean, more power to him of course, no one is going to turn down more in favor of less. But that doesn't excuse the flawed system. I also find it hard to believe that this Chief literally didn't utilize close to three weeks (on avg) each year of due time. Being the boss (and likely signing his own timesheets), this is probably a situation where he is sitting on a beach in the Caribbean and because he took a call or checked some email - noted it as a work day.

More so, I never understood the idea of paid sick leave (in terms of an accrued value). As a benefit, you are entitled to sick leave = days off of work without penalty while being paid. It's not to serve as a bonus. It's to serve as income protection when necessary. I pay into LTD/STD each month for protection. If I don't injure myself and require those funds - I don't get them back.

I am given paid sick leave but with no cap/restriction. If I am too ill to come to work, I say "I'm sick, not coming to work". I'm still paid. If my employer feels I am too sick too often and I become a liability (cost/benefit) - I would get fired. I am not rewarded for not calling out. The expectation is they pay me handsomely to come to work and provide me income in the rare event I am too ill to make it in. I am paid either way.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Isn't the annual leave accrual rate only 8 hours/pay period?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... why should a local police chief be able to save over 400 days? Oh, look, it's the Jersey City paid sick leave law....

same reasons teachers do

UNIONS give money to Dems runnig for Office
Dems give UNIONS Sweetheart Labor Contracts

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes there are ..... but their rate isn't comprised only of their base rate. It's inclusive of their base rate, burdens, administrative costs, home/office/rent expenses, profit, etc. I believe in the above story, we're simply talking this guys direct pay/salary which doesn't cover any additional expenses covered by the City for each hour paid out.

This is all a crock honestly. I mean, more power to him of course, no one is going to turn down more in favor of less. But that doesn't excuse the flawed system. I also find it hard to believe that this Chief literally didn't utilize close to three weeks (on avg) each year of due time. Being the boss (and likely signing his own timesheets), this is probably a situation where he is sitting on a beach in the Caribbean and because he took a call or checked some email - noted it as a work day.

More so, I never understood the idea of paid sick leave (in terms of an accrued value). As a benefit, you are entitled to sick leave = days off of work without penalty while being paid. It's not to serve as a bonus. It's to serve as income protection when necessary. I pay into LTD/STD each month for protection. If I don't injure myself and require those funds - I don't get them back.

I am given paid sick leave but with no cap/restriction. If I am too ill to come to work, I say "I'm sick, not coming to work". I'm still paid. If my employer feels I am too sick too often and I become a liability (cost/benefit) - I would get fired. I am not rewarded for not calling out. The expectation is they pay me handsomely to come to work and provide me income in the rare event I am too ill to make it in. I am paid either way.

This evolved over time in response to what it took to get better people. If a guy can go make $100k at IBM or $50k being the chief, what's gonna happen? You end up with a $50k guy as chief. At some point, sure, it gets out of line some way, somewhere. However, it doesn't surprise me, at all, that the chief skipped a LOT of sick and vacation days. Who is pretty much always there for the cameras, 24/7/365, to speak to the crime du jour and reassure the citizens all is well? Who gets roasted if he misses ONE incident? The IBM guy gets to go home and stay there until the next work day.

So now, a guy who is enjoying the benefits of a system he's committed to for a long time is to be roasted some more? There are 9 million people in New Jersey. The article says this is a $2 billion problem. Collectively, not annually. That's about $200 per citizen over time. For money that directly benefits people who served New Jersey, over time and, largely, will spend IN New jersey. over time. Unions are the backbone of community stability. Market forces are not. They go where the last penny can be squeezed out and could not give a flying #### about the citizens; it'll leave them in a heartbeat. Thanks for the roads and schools and utilities and cops and firemen! C 'yah later!

If people are doing a good job, is this really the hill to fight on?

Monello

PREMO Member
There are 9 million people in New Jersey. The article says this is a $2 billion problem. Collectively, not annually. That's about $200 per citizen over time. For money that directly benefits people who served New Jersey, over time and, largely, will spend IN New jersey. over time. Unions are the backbone of community stability. Market forces are not. They go where the last penny can be squeezed out and could not give a flying #### about the citizens; it'll leave them in a heartbeat. Thanks for the roads and schools and utilities and cops and firemen! C 'yah later!

If people are doing a good job, is this really the hill to fight on?

That's 1 chief in 1 city. Now multiply that by however many more people get the same sweetheart deal. No wonder why roads can't get fixed.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
T... You end up with a $50k guy as chief.

that's OK Larry, Police Dept.s do not like to hire anyone above a certain IQ

they get bored
Can Someone Be Too Smart To Be A Cop?
Ever called a police officer “stupid” or questioned whether he or she was actually using their brain?
If so, you wouldn’t be alone, and you might not even be wrong.

Now multiply that by however many more people get the same sweetheart deal. No wonder why roads can't get fixed.

IIRC Correction Officers in Cali-FU get over 100k with OT and bennies

terbear1225

I"m in the wrong damn profession. We can't accrue more than 70 days and there is no payout for anything you accrued when you leave. Also can't donate to someone else that might need the days (i.e. serious long term illness)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's 1 chief in 1 city. Now multiply that by however many more people get the same sweetheart deal. No wonder why roads can't get fixed.

So what? What's the number 'supposed' to be? How much 'should' a city police chief make? Didn't he take the job with those understandings?

New Jersey's annual budget is about $55 billion. 9 million citizens, $6 grand a head, $24k a household of four. Average household income is about $65k best I can tell. Now, assuming not one dime is paid by business, only the citizens, that's a pretty hefty 37% of gross income assuming a single rate. These people have a vote and they can't come to agreement, their politicians, on how to reform the thing. So, now what? You want federal intervention? Or leave them to their business?

Regardless of what they do or don't do now, this guy, and everyone else, like you, was playing by the rules as they were when they signed on. I presume ex military folks get some sort of increases over time to try and account for rising costs? I presume you are more than good enough to have gone into law enforcement and risen to chief over the years. I presume you're a bit to sane for a job that requires the politics and the stress and strain and time, 24/7/365 that goes with the office.

Why aren't we happy this guy has a nice little bonus, equal roughly to his annual salary to go towards retirement? He's gonna spend it, yes? On a boat? Vacations? RV? Remodel the kitchen? What are you basing this being 'too much' on? What's supposed to get, in your view? $400k OK? $300k? Nothing? Based on what?

Monello

PREMO Member
Why aren't we happy this guy

Didn't say I wasn't happy for the guy. He got a sweet deal and it's legit. I feel sorry for the taxpayers.

The fact that they are changing the system after the horse is out of the barn alludes to the fact that the system is overly generous.

Monello

PREMO Member
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-pension-squeeze/

The city’s general fund payments for pensions and retiree healthcare reached $1.04 billion last year, eating up more than 20% of operating revenue — compared with less than 5% in 2002. The effects can be measured in services forgone and civic ambitions deferred.

With the money put into its pension funds over the last two years alone — nearly
$2 billion — the city could have fixed every one of its broken sidewalks, built or leased housing for more than 25,000 homeless people or restored 11 miles of the concrete-clad Los Angeles River to a natural state.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ik-wyllie-pension-st-0309-20160308-story.html

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, "More than 25 percent of the state's $32 billion budget … is being consumed by pension costs for downstate and suburban teachers, public-university and college workers, state employees, judges and state lawmakers."

Illinois has the worst-funded pension systems in the nation, with a shortfall at $111 billion and counting. More than half the $4 billion in state higher-education appropriations go toward the pension and retirement costs of university and college workers, the Illinois Policy Institute says.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Didn't say I wasn't happy for the guy. He got a sweet deal and it's legit. I feel sorry for the taxpayers.

The fact that they are changing the system after the horse is out of the barn alludes to the fact that the system is overly generous.

But, they're not changing the system. From what I read in your link, Christie wanted a more strident system, the legislature wanted less so, so they compromised and did nothing. So, why feel sorry for the taxpayers? They actually want something done, they can demand it. In the mean time, a GOOD many of the people benefiting from the system ARE tax payers. No one can accuse the US of being too generous to workers in general and everyone around here loves to say the ONLY job of a company is to make money, period. So, what's the job of a voter, a tax payer? Yeah, to pay less in taxes but we also want services and we also want people to be able to afford to live and buy things and do things.

Monello

PREMO Member
But, they're not changing the system. From what I read in your link, Christie wanted a more strident system, the legislature wanted less so, so they compromised and did nothing. So, why feel sorry for the taxpayers? They actually want something done, they can demand it. In the mean time, a GOOD many of the people benefiting from the system ARE tax payers. No one can accuse the US of being too generous to workers in general and everyone around here loves to say the ONLY job of a company is to make money, period. So, what's the job of a voter, a tax payer? Yeah, to pay less in taxes but we also want services and we also want people to be able to afford to live and buy things and do things.

But the tax payers, if they had more money would buy things like tires, homes, big macs, thus spurring the economy. Gotta think macro on this.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But the tax payers, if they had more money would buy things like tires, homes, big macs, thus spurring the economy. Gotta think macro on this.

As I mentioned, this is costing folks $200 per person for the entire commitment at this point. Not $200 a year. In total. I don't know how many people are benefiting and I guess that's my larger, macro, point; NJ benefits when it's people benefit. And, again, this isn't getting changed at this point so, maybe there are enough tax payers benefiting that not enough actually think there is a problem. :shrug: