Police chief's accrued vacation & sick leave > $500,000.00

officeguy

Anyone bemoaning the 'great salaries' in public service at one point in their life had the option to sign up for the test. You chose to go a different path, now don't bitch if you see someone who made a smarter decision. This guy obviously has 400 days of sick leave because he didn't have to use it.

If you make a 'use it or lose it' sick leave policy, you are going to see lots of 'Monday man-flu' in the fourth quarter. It's probably best not to allow accrual of more than 90 days. That way the employee can bridge to short term disability if that was ever necessary but you don't have a big liability upon separation.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sick and vacation. About a year. Hell, we're non union and on of my guys had 20 some weeks he never used. I paid him for it.

I have 6 months of sick leave on the books.

Me too, got close to 200 annual leave also.

I always wonder about the people that have worked for the government for 30 years and never seem to have any leave. I work with someone who takes the day off the instant he accrues the 9 hrs.

I think I have about 160 hrs. use or lose.
And I hit the 30 years in a few months.

Anyone bemoaning the 'great salaries' in public service at one point in their life had the option to sign up for the test. You chose to go a different path, now don't bitch if you see someone who made a smarter decision. This guy obviously has 400 days of sick leave because he didn't have to use it.

If you make a 'use it or lose it' sick leave policy, you are going to see lots of 'Monday man-flu' in the fourth quarter. It's probably best not to allow accrual of more than 90 days. That way the employee can bridge to short term disability if that was ever necessary but you don't have a big liability upon separation.

I wont speak for the others, but to me it's the silly accrual thats out of line.

officeguy

I wont speak for the others, but to me it's the silly accrual thats out of line.

Allowing this kind of accrual is a way for the city to pay a bonus that will fall into a budget someone else will eventually have to pay. The problem I have with allowing such a long accrual is that it doesn't get paid out at the cost when it was incurred but rather years later when the salary has gone up. Sort of the negative time value of money. The later the guy retires, the more expensive the sick leave gets.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Allowing this kind of accrual is a way for the city to pay a bonus that will fall into a budget someone else will eventually have to pay. The problem I have with allowing such a long accrual is that it doesn't get paid out at the cost when it was incurred but rather years later when the salary has gone up. Sort of the negative time value of money. The later the guy retires, the more expensive the sick leave gets.

With the Federal Government you can not cash in your sick leave, but you can use it at accrued years of service.
Annual leave, maximum year carry over is 240 hrs. after that you have use or lose for the rest of the next year.
You can not apply your annual leave toward accrued years served. They pay out your current annual leave hours, at your current salary rate when you retire.
Did I explain that correctly?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Why? I owe you a cheeseburger in exchange for your services. You're not hungry and ask that I give you an IOU for it instead for when you are hungry. Either way, the cost to me is the same.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes.
I will apply my hours towards my years of service when I retire.
I will use what I was offered when I was hired.
Government.

With the Federal Government you can not cash in your sick leave, but you can use it at accrued years of service.
Annual leave, maximum year carry over is 240 hrs. after that you have use or lose for the rest of the next year.
You can not apply your annual leave toward accrued years served. They pay out your current annual leave hours, at your current salary rate when you retire.
Did I explain that correctly?

And those seem like reasonable policies. But getting a half million dollar check seems a bit excessive.

Grumpy

I'm sorry, your earned payoff of 500,000 seems excessive to us, please take this watch and be on your way.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm sorry, your earned payoff of 500,000 seems excessive to us, please take this watch and be on your way.

Yup.

"Hey, you remember the rules you signed up for, worked for these past 35 years? Remember all those days you felt like crap but came in anyway because the job needed doing and you felt a little better knowing you'd get them back at the end of the trail? All the trips you skipped for the same reason? Yeah, well, some people think it's too much now so, hey, everyone likes a Fitbit! Thanks!"

glhs837

Power with Control
Not advocating breaking a deal thats been made. Am advocating not making stupid deals like that in the future. Set reasonable accrual limits. Set caps on payouts or require that it be taken.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not advocating breaking a deal thats been made. Am advocating not making stupid deals like that in the future. Set reasonable accrual limits. Set caps on payouts or require that it be taken.

What's reasonable? Someone already pointed out all this is is 12 days per year over a 35 year career he did NOT use. What is wrong with that? He WAS at work, doing his job, earning promotions, ALL those years. Are you saying 12 less sick/vacation days per year? It makes no sense to NOT be able to keep IOU's for something you're entitled to yet did not use.

Grumpy

Seems to me that 35 years ago, the Dow Jones was around 1000, now its over 20000..if he had been paid out yearly and he put it into a mutual fund, he would have earned more that 500k by now. I believe the unlimited accruals have been stopped for a while. Most have put a limit on what can be carried over year to year.

glhs837

Power with Control
What's reasonable? Someone already pointed out all this is is 12 days per year over a 35 year career he did NOT use. What is wrong with that? He WAS at work, doing his job, earning promotions, ALL those years. Are you saying 12 less sick/vacation days per year? It makes no sense to NOT be able to keep IOU's for something you're entitled to yet did not use.

Not all benefits need to be unlimited. Caps and/or restrictions, just like most of the world. Feds cap leave, and restrict sick leave to use or apply to retirement calculations.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not all benefits need to be unlimited. Caps and/or restrictions, just like most of the world. Feds cap leave, and restrict sick leave to use or apply to retirement calculations.

It's not unlimited. He was getting paid X amount of sick days and Y amount of vacation. The cost to the state is EXACTLY the same if had used them LESS his expertise and knowledge and experience every time he had to be replaced or covered for sick and vacation.

And MOST of the world is ####ED up.