Poll: Fat Butts

Fat Butts

• Yes - Unfair to others

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • No - Unfair to the poor fat people

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • No - Impossible to enforce (Excuse me ma'am but you're packin too much pooty there)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

Warron

Originally posted by crabcake
Why do the seats need to be bigger? Why do you want to cut in on the profits of the bus/plane builders?

Its the business of the bus/plane builders to transport people, as such the seat should be adequate to the people they transport.

Are you telling me that it's healthy to be overweight?

It is unhealthy to be alive. Some just aren't concerned about living two extra days at the cost of eating weeds their entire life. And I've already made my point about the arbitrary meaning of overweight.

In my opinion, it's a choice to remain overweight (excl. legitimate medical problems). So if you are choosing to remain that way, you shouldn't complain when you have to cough up the extra fare for the bus/plane ticket.

Clothing for larger sizes sometimes costs more, but I don't hear any complaints about shelling out the extra bucks there. It costs more to make things bigger, period. Why should I have to offset that cost when it's not me who has the problem? :confused:

For most, weight is a choice. But its just as much a choice by those who choose to be 98 lb stick figures as it is for those who weight more. Why should I have to suffer at the hand of the people who run around in parka's when is 60 degrees out because they want the heat set to 85 in my office? Its their own choice to be scrawny, so why shouldn't they suffer for it in quiet. Or maybe they could pay out to the building owner the extra money the owner has to pay for heat every winter.

If you want to start charging people extra for services such as public transportation based on physical characteristics, you better start expecting to pay extra for some characteristic of yours I don't like.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The airlines make the seats as small as possible because they're a bunch of cheap SOBs. They don't even feed you anymore - what are the odds you're going to get spread room?

Warron, you say the airlines should accommodate their passengers and I agree. But how? Should they make all seats big enough for a 700 pound person? How about a 500 pound person? What's the limit? If they can only fit 20 people on the whole plane, can you imagine how expensive it will become to fly?

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by vraiblonde
The airlines make the seats as small as possible because they're a bunch of cheap SOBs. They don't even feed you anymore - what are the odds you're going to get spread room?

Warron, you say the airlines should accommodate their passengers and I agree. But how? Should they make all seats big enough for a 700 pound person? How about a 500 pound person? What's the limit? If they can only fit 20 people on the whole plane, can you imagine how expensive it will become to fly?
Use a go/nogo guage on their butts. Put 2 posts at the check-in counter the same distance apart as a seat is wide. If you can squeeze the booty through without the aide of a push from 5 fellow travelers or without greasing up with a pound of lard you get charged for one seat. If you can't you get charged extra. I paid for my 9 inch wide seat, I shouldn't have to share it.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Warron
Its the business of the bus/plane builders to transport people, as such the seat should be adequate to the people they transport.

You're right. I guess Keller and Delta should invest in a few farm animal transports. :shrug: They provide transportation for the majority ... and the majority of people aren't overweight and require two seats. So why make the majority suffer with higher expenses for transportation to make the minority happy?

It is unhealthy to be alive. Some just aren't concerned about living two extra days at the cost of eating weeds their entire life. And I've already made my point about the arbitrary meaning of overweight.

I don't eat sprouts, lettuce or cauliflower for every meal (or at all, actually). It's about portion control and exercise (which I also don't do much of :ohwell:) But for people who need to, they should, period. Not make me pay extra or suffer so they are more comfortable.

For most, weight is a choice. But its just as much a choice by those who choose to be 98 lb stick figures as it is for those who weight more. Why should I have to suffer at the hand of the people who run around in parka's when is 60 degrees out because they want the heat set to 85 in my office? Its their own choice to be scrawny, so why shouldn't they suffer for it in quiet. Or maybe they could pay out to the building owner the extra money the owner has to pay for heat every winter. If you want to start charging people extra for services such as public transportation based on physical characteristics, you better start expecting to pay extra for some characteristic of yours I don't like.

I have never heard someone who was "scrawny" or thin or "average" even blame their temperature comfort level on their weight or lack thereof. I have, however, heard a lot of overweight people complain about being hot and sweaty sitting in a 68 degree office. Besides, that's something you CAN control. You can modify your wardrobe to accomodate for the temperature, just like you do between winter/summer. If your office is warm, wear lighter clothing. If it's cold, bring a sweater. But note the difference -- those are things individuals can do to make themselves comfortable that aren't at the expense of others pocketbooks/wallets or comfort level.

Warron

I have never heard someone who was "scrawny" or thin or "average" even blame their temperature comfort level on their weight or lack thereof.

Noone ever blames their discomfort on themselves. But when you see five people out of 50 running around in Eskimo parkas when its 75 degrees in the office, it isn't because they are reptilian.

K

Kizzy

Making people pay extra for their seat will never, ever happen. It is a form of discrimination, and you cannot convince me otherwise. Next thing you know, an employer will expect a worker to pay for his/her heavy duty chair.

crabcake

:yeahthat: to both Cari's posts. A person's weight is something they (generally-speaking) have control over. Lack of control on one's part does not constitute rationale for me to spend more money to maintain their comfort level.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by cariblue
I don't think that's true. Southwest airlines has a policy addressing this. Larger people also pay more money for larger clothes, which has been mentioned. You can't convince me that it's discrimination when a person is paying for what they are using.

The only reason the airlines gets away with this is because air travel is covered by the Air Carrier Access Act, which doesn't require them to provide more than 1 seat per ticket. Can you imagine the mess? A full flight and a complaining customer gripping the seat is too small, demanding a 1st class ticket where the seats are much bigger (and an option for an obese person at the time of purchase).

I know a 5th grader who is well over 200 pounds, why? She has a tumor on her brain, which makes her think or feel she is never full. How do you differentiate between those people who have simply lost control or have a true, medical reason for their condition, such as a thyroid disorder, Crohn’s disease, brain tumor, etc.? With nearly 27% of our population considered obese, it is a growing problem that certainly needs to change.

crabcake

For a person with a documented medical disorder (i.e., doctor's documentation of brain tumor, etc.), I don't mind them getting the extra space. It's the people who stuff two bags of chips in their purse to munch on for the ride home, and top it off with a pint of ben and jerry's chunky monkey that I'm saying should cough up the extra benjamins.

K

Kizzy

Cari,

I agree with you, and when I say the problem needs to change, I mean the obesity problem. We all need to be concerned, because the numbers are scary and the cost to the rest of us is seen in increased health insurance rates. 27% of the U.S. population has a B.M.I. at or above 30. :boo:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For a person with a documented medical disorder (i.e., doctor's documentation of brain tumor, etc.), I don't mind them getting the extra space.
I do. Since just about anyone can get a medical dispensation these days, there's no way to keep it real. That's how this stuff gets started, anyway. Someone has a behavior issue (overeating, alcoholism, etc.) and they get the ADA to recognize it as a "disability" so they can get special treatment and don't have to deal with their problem.

crabcake

Originally posted by vraiblonde
I do. Since just about anyone can get a medical dispensation these days, there's no way to keep it real. That's how this stuff gets started, anyway. Someone has a behavior issue (overeating, alcoholism, etc.) and they get the ADA to recognize it as a "disability" so they can get special treatment and don't have to deal with their problem.

:yikes: are you saying the medical profession and gubment is crooks?

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Some airlines require you to after a certain weight. That happened to someone I know's mother.

I don't know anyone personally but I saw it happen on that show Airplanes. It was Southwests policy to charge double, if the flight wasn't full they would refund you one ticket at the end of the flight.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
This is exactly why I stopped riding the bus. I'd rather put the extra miles on my truck and deal with traffic than to be wedged in between the bus window and chubby rub who decides to park next to me.

I'm not knocking larger people, but I agree whole heartedly with what crabby says. Larger people have told me before on the bus that they chose to sit next to me because there was "extra room" (I'm small). Why should I have to pay the same amount of money as everyone else only to be wedged into the side of the bus, and not being able to properly breathe because of the person who has fallen asleep is now laying on top of me?

And no, I'm not exaggerating.

warneckutz

This is exactly why I stopped riding the bus. I'd rather put the extra miles on my truck and deal with traffic than to be wedged in between the bus window and chubby rub who decides to park next to me.

I'm not knocking larger people, but I agree whole heartedly with what crabby says. Larger people have told me before on the bus that they chose to sit next to me because there was "extra room" (I'm small). Why should I have to pay the same amount of money as everyone else only to be wedged into the side of the bus, and not being able to properly breathe because of the person who has fallen asleep is now laying on top of me?

And no, I'm not exaggerating.

:smack: Fine!!! I'll take a different bus next time!