POTUS Trump Nominates Judge Brett Kavanaugh to SCOTUS

Hijinx

According to the Gender Pronouns List your sentence should read one of the following:

I think zis Hillary
I think hir Hillary
I think eir Hillary
I think vis Hillary
I think tem Hillary

I think I will go with a modified version of 'zis'"

I think zit Hillary

I will be using the same old pronouns I have always used just as I will always call Bruce Jenner , he and Him,and they can stick this stupid sh1t where the sun don't shine.

SamSpade

and if he had been there would have been a contentious debate and questioning.
Lets not pretend that the right isn't EXACTLY the same as the left with respect to playing stupid political games.

With regard to the choosing of a Supreme Court Justice - I sincerely beg to differ.
The left started it with Bork - they created a ridiculous kangaroo court with Thomas, and I don't want to begin with the absord
stuff they printed in the press about him.

They have challenged EVERY single nomination of SCOTUS nominees since then, even though the right has been - with one
notable exception - gracious in allowing the left's nominees to more or less sail through the process.

CURRENTLY we have a wave of protest against the nominee - EVEN BEFORE IT WAS ANNOUNCED.
You cannot make the case that this was a fair and reasoned response.

Midnightrider

With regard to the choosing of a Supreme Court Justice - I sincerely beg to differ.
The left started it with Bork - they created a ridiculous kangaroo court with Thomas, and I don't want to begin with the absord
stuff they printed in the press about him.

They have challenged EVERY single nomination of SCOTUS nominees since then, even though the right has been - with one
notable exception - gracious in allowing the left's nominees to more or less sail through the process.

CURRENTLY we have a wave of protest against the nominee - EVEN BEFORE IT WAS ANNOUNCED.
You cannot make the case that this was a fair and reasoned response.

Since Bork the only time the GOP held the senate while a Dem potus made a SCOTUS nomination was Garland.

Not to mention the Dems confirmed the majority of GOP nominations and only a couple were really all that contentious

CPUSA

"Even Clinton's and Obama's nominees made it through Congress rather easily."

you re kidding right? Was garland confirmed when i wasn't looking?

Are you seeing it yet? Is it sinking in yet?
Need another hint? Here ya go...which house refused to move forward on the Garland nomination? Which house was never given the opportunity? You need to pay closer attention to these Civics classes. You're failing miserably...

Midnightrider

"Even Clinton's and Obama's nominees made it through Congress rather easily."

Are you seeing it yet? Is it sinking in yet?
Need another hint? Here ya go...which house refused to move forward on the Garland nomination? Which house was never given the opportunity? You need to pay closer attention to these Civics classes. You're failing miserably...

this ought to be good......

Break the process down for the class.

SamSpade

Since Bork the only time the GOP held the senate while a Dem potus made a SCOTUS nomination was Garland.

Not to mention the Dems confirmed the majority of GOP nominations and only a couple were really all that contentious

Prior to Bork - most SCOTUS nominees sailed through confirmation.

SINCE Bork -
David Souter
(born 1939)
NHAssociate
Justice
BrennanOctober 2, 1990
(90–9)
October 9, 1990

June 29, 2009
(Retired)
18 years, 263 daysGeorge H. W. Bush
106 Clarence Thomas
(born 1948)
GAAssociate
Justice
T. MarshallOctober 15, 1991
(52–48)
October 23, 1991

Incumbent
26 years, 260 days[SUP][o][/SUP]
107 Ruth Bader Ginsburg
(born 1933)
NYAssociate
Justice
B. WhiteAugust 3, 1993
(96–3)
August 10, 1993

Incumbent
24 years, 334 days[SUP][o][/SUP]Bill Clinton
108 Stephen Breyer
(born 1938)
MAAssociate
Justice
BlackmunJuly 29, 1994
(87–9)
August 3, 1994

Incumbent
23 years, 341 days[SUP][o][/SUP]
109 John Roberts
(born 1955)
MDChief
Justice
RehnquistSeptember 29, 2005
(78–22)
September 29, 2005

Incumbent
12 years, 284 days[SUP][o][/SUP]George W. Bush
110 Samuel Alito
(born 1950)
NJAssociate
Justice
O'ConnorJanuary 31, 2006
(58–42)
January 31, 2006

Incumbent
12 years, 160 days[SUP][o][/SUP]
111 Sonia Sotomayor
(born 1954)
NYAssociate
Justice
SouterAugust 6, 2009
(68–31)
August 8, 2009

Incumbent
8 years, 336 days[SUP][o][/SUP]Barack Obama
112 Elena Kagan
(born 1960)
MAAssociate
Justice
StevensAugust 5, 2010
(63–37)
August 7, 2010

Incumbent
7 years, 337 days[SUP][o][/SUP]
113 Neil Gorsuch
(born 1967)

COAssociate
Justice
ScaliaApril 7, 2017
(54–45)

Since Bork - the left has vigorously opposed EVERY appointment by the right - while the right has more or less been gracious about it, voting in Breyer and Ginsburg
with barely a peep and Kagan and Sotomayor with only small opposition.

As opposed to the fight over Gorsuch, Alito and Thomas.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw Ken Starr last night on a show and he was positively beaming with enthusiasm for this nomination. :yay:

I don't know anything about him, but I do expect Republicans to cheer and Democrats to boo. Wouldn't matter who was tapped, that's what they'd do. The Dems had their "I hate you" speeches already prepared, all they had to do was plug in a name.

SamSpade

I don't know anything about him, but I do expect Republicans to cheer and Democrats to boo. Wouldn't matter who was tapped, that's what they'd do. The Dems had their "I hate you" speeches already prepared, all they had to do was plug in a name.
Which apparently - ABC was prepared to do, having mistakenly released a piece with "XXX" in the place of the nominee, because the article was written BEFORE the announcement.

Midnightrider

Prior to Bork - most SCOTUS nominees sailed through confirmation.

Since Bork - the left has vigorously opposed EVERY appointment by the right - while the right has more or less been gracious about it, voting in Breyer and Ginsburg
with barely a peep and Kagan and Sotomayor with only small opposition.

As opposed to the fight over Gorsuch, Alito and Thomas.

thats just not true. Kenedy went through with no real issue, as did Souter. Goursh did not seem to be much of a fight to me. He had a very typical confirmation hearing.

Another thing that just isn't true is your claim about them 'sailing through' prior to Bork. Even Washington had one of his initial picks rejected. That is just part of the process.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which apparently - ABC was prepared to do, having mistakenly released a piece with "XXX" in the place of the nominee, because the article was written BEFORE the announcement.

That is HILARIOUS!! :roflmao:

Yeah, no bias here, kids. :lol:

SamSpade

thats just not true. Kenedy went through with no real issue, as did Souter. Goursh did not seem to be much of a fight to me. He had a very typical confirmation hearing.

Another thing that just isn't true is your claim about them 'sailing through' prior to Bork. Even Washington had one of his initial picks rejected. That is just part of the process.

My mistake - I was basing Bork's opposition on memory, rather than data looked up. You are right.

And Souter as well.

Still, it's been the left instigating the fights.

Midnightrider

My mistake - I was basing Bork's opposition on memory, rather than data looked up. You are right.

And Souter as well.

Still, it's been the left instigating the fights.

Mcconnel stood up with the GOP at his back and said he would block any Obama nominee

"I believe the overwhelming view of the Republican Conference in the Senate is that this nomination should not be filled, this vacancy should not be filled by this lame duck president," McConnell added.

https://www.npr.org/2016/02/23/4678...s-agree-to-block-obamas-supreme-court-nominee

how is that the left instigating the fight?

SamSpade

how is that the left instigating the fight?

I did mention this back earlier in the thread - that the right finally starting fighting back after 25 years of being jerked around.

And McConnell was only citing the "Biden Rules" - the premise Joe Biden himself insisted upon, as Senator, that a seat should
not be filled in an election year.

Thomas, Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch and now Cavanaugh.

Pretty much Trump's entire Cabinet, too boot (and I don't get THAT at all).

Midnightrider

I did mention this back earlier in the thread - that the right finally starting fighting back after 25 years of being jerked around.

And McConnell was only citing the "Biden Rules" - the premise Joe Biden himself insisted upon, as Senator, that a seat should
not be filled in an election year.

Thomas, Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch and now Cavanaugh.

Pretty much Trump's entire Cabinet, too boot (and I don't get THAT at all).
Bwhahahaha

its always so easy to excuse when its your side doing it, but its always so terrible when its the other side.
As i said before, Gorusch was a pretty normal confirmation hearing. Same for Roberts and Alito as i remeber.