Proposal to Widen the BW Parkway, I495, & I270

Rommey

I remember Rt. 5 well. removing traffic lights is what solved that problem. Traffic still exists there last time I made the trip.
So in your opinion, ONLY removing the lights solved that problem? Adding a third lane did absolutely NOTHING? Sure traffic still exists, but north of Surratts Rd, how much back up is there? Virtually none at any given time. Sure its crowded but its still moving at a reasonable pace, barring the occasional accident or lookie-loos for a cop pulling over someone.

Wilson Bridge traffic has been reduced by having fewer bridge openings not by adding lanes.
B.S. Bridge openings didn't happen during rush hours so that had no impact on traffic.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The BW Parkway is one of my everlasting memories of the area I remember since early childhood. It was/is such a nice, picturesque roadway with the natural stonework, and I would hate to see it messed with. But what can you do? The Park Service should have final say on the project, but they will probably get shouted down.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, a $9B public-private partnership to create even more traffic. Sounds like a stellar idea.

You really think the solution to traffic is to not have the necessary roads for it to travel?

The people are here and are coming regardless because of the JOBS, sanctuary city status, and JOBS. People drive 2+hrs to work now so they can afford housing and not live in the Ghetto.

officeguy

There are many in traffic management who disagree with 'induced demand'. The only way you can believe in the 'induced demand' fallacy is if you only look at the one highway that is being expanded. The backup on 270 doesn't dissuade a single developer from putting up another row of townhouses on some farmland in Montgomery county or Frederick. Regional Economic growth --> Increased Development --> Increased traffic load. They are not building any new highways in Detroit.

Tollways are the way to do this. Those who are willing to pay for it can fund the necessary expansions.

All this should have been built 9 years ago when the government had a Trillion dollars to spend on 'stimulus'. Nothing would have stimulated the economy more than expanding I295 along the alignment of 210 and Chicamuxen with a crossing over to Quantico near Budds Ferry. The other worthwhile project would have been to tunnel 95 down along New York Ave as the original plans for the interstate system suggested.

Oh, and the Wilson Bridge capacity expansion has fixed the backup into NoVA. 'Bridge openings', lol. I just wish the state had done the associated 210 corridor project back when it was approved in 2004 rather than pissing away the money on 'light rail' in Baltimore.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
With land at a premium, it won't be long before roads are built on top of existing roads. Imagine a beltway on top of the beltway. Moving twice as many cars as you can today. But the pain of the construction is almost unimaginable.

Wishbone

With land at a premium, it won't be long before roads are built on top of existing roads. Imagine a beltway on top of the beltway. Moving twice as many cars as you can today. But the pain of the construction is almost unimaginable.

So long as you don't do that in an active seismic zone, like the Nimitz Freeway, it could work.

PeoplesElbow

So?

Don’t make their problems my problems. You pays your money, you makes your choice.

Ah so are you one of those people that are convinced if you keep the road system overloaded then that will keep new people from moving into the area?

The jobs are around DC whether or not the roads to support them are.

Hijinx

I believe 295, The B&W Parkway is a Federal Road up to Jessup, where the state takes over. I believe that would take a Federal approval and Federal money.
270 needs a lot of help, and the Intercounty Connecter would help there If they took the damned excessive toll off it.
Southern Md. needs some help on Rt. 5 also and we have a planned bridge for Morgantown that I doubt I live to see. Our greatest problem IMO is the bridge to Solomons.
It has never been a good bridge, they were repairing it before they finished building it and it needs to be 4 lanes at least, and it could be closed at any time which would be critical. Lets see a little spent in Southern Md.

Now like Weems I don't use the Solomon's Bridge, and I seldom go to Baltimore, but I do realize the traffic problems on those corridors and bridges and don't mind paying my fair share to solve them. I also know that not building roads does not stop people from needing them, and does not reduce traffic.What a silly idea. Don't build the road and you won't need it. Sounds like what someone with a paper ass would say.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Of course.

Engineers generally don't know chit about economics, much less the sub-discipline of behavioral economics.

When was the last time an economist designed a road or for that matter correctly predicted the economy?.......just sayin'

officeguy

Of course.

Engineers generally don't know chit about economics, much less the sub-discipline of behavioral economics.

Engineers build stuff that works. I am not sure what economists build. It's not the economy, thats for sure.