Quality Horse Shoeing

DQ2B

Farrier said:
Bare foot has it's value just like any thing else. But is not the cure for the common cold. The bare foot movement is nothing more than B S. I am not aginst horses going bare foot in fact I have some improve when bare foot, but on the same note I have helped more horses with a well fit shoe that can better serve that individual horse. I have helped horses in one shoeing come sound after 18 plus months lamness under KC LaPeiar's (spelling?) Care.
There is a unbeliveable amount of BS involved in this type of hoof care.
NOT ALL HORSES CAN GO BARE FOOT!!!! Like I said I am not aginst it I just just see horses as individuals and just like you and me we have our own needs and they have theirs. What it comes down to is horses need traditional princapals with todays advances in farrier science in mind.Shoeing horses has come a very long way in the last 20 years.

Speaking of condusive in regards to shoeing vs. barefoot trimming in your opinon what would a barefooter or podiatrist do with a fractured pedal bone (coffin bone)?"
Mike

Ok, you say you're not against going barefoot and that you've seen improvement with some that have gone to barefoot but then you say that it's also B.S. Why? I would never propose all horses go barefoot. That would surely be a catastrophe. It's not a simple matter of just removing the shoes. But the thing with shoes that will never change is that they DO change the physical response in the hoof, that is a fact. Shoes simply do not allow the hoof to work as nature intended. And that's okay for many. They do just fine. Yes, horses are individuals and each should have what is right for that horse. For mine, going barefoot was obviously the right move. The barefoot info. was definely not B.S. to one of my horses. I think it's great that you bring up the fact that owners need to be more informed about what constitutes proper hoof care and for pete's sake what a proper hoof should look like otherwise how do we even know if the shoeing was good or bad. It just seems to me that owners simply go along with tradition and have their horses shod without really giving it any thought about WHY they are having shoes put on. Because that's what everyone does? Look, I was guilty of that for many years. I have no idea why I was continuing to shoe my horse, I never even bothered to try him barefoot, until I had a problem. That problem opened my eyes to lot of stuff. I'll never look at another hoof the same way. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not dismissing your profession. On the contrary, I'm hoping farriers will continue bring ALL available options to owners and not just shoe a horse a particular way because that's what an owner wants but to also help owners understand more about what the hoof needs, what it needs to look like and why. As far as the fractured P3 question, I'm sure a specialized shoe would be the protcol for treatment but I'm no vet. Hey thanks for joining the board, hope you'll stick around.

Oh, disregard the karma crap. Now that really is some B.S.

Last edited:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Unbelievable said:
We have a lot of horses and have to spend a bit of time with the farrier. You appear to be good looking but can you post a few more pictures. Are you single? When you're thinking of making such a drastic change you really need all the facts! :howdy:

:killingme
Hello Unbelievable! I've missed you.

And welcome Farrier, thanks for all the great info.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Yeah I am surprised you got red too...you have some valid points...and I agree with you too...

I think you are very reasonable (or on ball park) with your prices..I have paid as little as $65 for fronts and $150 full set on a WP horse..

I now have everyone just being trimmed by a "barefoot guy" I have pasos and they tend to have really good feet..

My stud had shoes for many years when I got him I had them pulled he was ouchy as all get out for awhile and his feet kept chipping...after almost a year and every 4 week trims he is HARD AS NAILS...along with the rest of mine..Except my show horse that I pulled shoes off of and he is going through that grow out period.

Again if I am showing I will pay for good farrier and shoes as a good farrier can make a good mover an excellent mover....

Thanks for coming here you will have some great things to add..

Oh what are you recommending for thrush right now..my boy I pulled shoes off of I am still battling it on...

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
The crack between the heel bulbs has gotten deep, sometimes crispy, and very sesitive when probed. I have recently started dripping penicillin deep into the crack............what is your theory on this?

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
persimmoncf said:
The crack between the heel bulbs has gotten deep, sometimes crispy, and very sesitive when probed. I have recently started dripping penecilin (sp) deep into the crack............what is your theory on this?

My show horse Roger has that now..its been like that awhile...it is still a form of thrush I bet it takes forever to clear it up..I put the "blue stuff" down in it..Penicillin might work it is a fungus/bacteria I would assume..

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Farrier said:
I am a certified farrier with the American Farriers Assocation. I am experianced in the treatment of critical lameness in horses. you can visit my website at www.chesapeakeforgeinc.com my web site is under constuction at the time but I do have 3 pages finished and the photo album will be updated on a quarterly basis.
I just happened to come across this forum when building my site.
I do not want to make any enimies I just have a passion for educating horse owners on proper hoof care. If I am intruding on your forum please accept my appologies.
Mike

Welcome Mike :flowers: .

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
persimmoncf said:
Paso, Blue stuff, do you mean thrush buster?

Yeah I have the blacksmith kinda carve it out some so you can get into it..I know EXACTLY what you mean..Roger has been like that since last summer when he got thrush and he is sinsitive if you put the hoof pick in there...I will get a picture of it later today...it has gotten better slowly...Yeah I put thrush buster in it..

A friend has a mare she put cotton soaked in sugar and iodine in it..said you could get a mile of cotton down there...eats up the end of the hoofpick I know..

Good luck it takes a long time...I am still fooling with it...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Unbelievable said:
Okay, I looked at your website and certificates are impressive. However, let's get down to the basics. We have a lot of horses and have to spend a bit of time with the farrier. You appear to be good looking but can you post a few more pictures. Are you single? When you're thinking of making such a drastic change you really need all the facts! :howdy:

And you all are afraid I am going to chase him away :rolleyes: I am talking credentials not how his butt looks..

SouthernMdRocks

Farrier said:
Ok I just looked at my profile and realized that there is a recent karma recived section. The only NEGITIVE karma had the comment of "shut the fukc up idiot" on it. The thing is I don't care I may not be a wordsmith but I can out shoe and beat out that person on any equine limb anatomy knolwege.
So if I am an "idiot" please lets discus it. What A_S_S_S said that and can you answer this why do we shoe horses?If you can stump me on eqine anatomy of the limb and the different patholigies of the limb, I will leave the forum in which I am already inclined to do.Considering that today is the first real post I have made and already there is hostility.Like I said before I only want to help educate horse owners on hoof care. I do not want to gain any clients from this I have enough thank you. :biteme:

Don't let the negative karma bother you, we all get it for no apparent reason. It just amuses whoever is putting it out. We like good information!!

SouthernMdRocks

Unbelievable said:
Okay, I looked at your website and certificates are impressive. However, let's get down to the basics. We have a lot of horses and have to spend a bit of time with the farrier. You appear to be good looking but can you post a few more pictures. Are you single? When you're thinking of making such a drastic change you really need all the facts! :howdy:

Good eye candy is always a plus!! :lmao:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Pasofever said:
Yeah I have the blacksmith kinda carve it out some so you can get into it..I know EXACTLY what you mean..Roger has been like that since last summer when he got thrush and he is sinsitive if you put the hoof pick in there...I will get a picture of it later today...it has gotten better slowly...Yeah I put thrush buster in it..

A friend has a mare she put cotton soaked in sugar and iodine in it..said you could get a mile of cotton down there...eats up the end of the hoofpick I know..

Good luck it takes a long time...I am still fooling with it...

A friend farrier recommended the penicillin for her and she swears it worked. The crack grew shallow...no sesitivity. So, Im trying it. I pull the med out with the needle - then remove the needle from syringe - then use the long tip of syringe to blast it into deep crack.

There is NO odor, even thou you are correct it is a form of fungus that has eaten the tissue in the most dark crack very deep. I will keep you updated.

I would like to know how the Farrier feels about this symptom and treatment. :popcorn:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
SouthernMdRocks said:
Good eye candy is always a plus!! :lmao:

Yeah then you spend more time in the barn getting horses feet done and it is too cold for that...brrr..I know I had 6 done the other day I was frozen when he was done...brrrrrr

SouthernMdRocks

Pasofever said:
Yeah then you spend more time in the barn getting horses feet done and it is too cold for that...brrr..I know I had 6 done the other day I was frozen when he was done...brrrrrr

I had some done the other day and it was freezing outside. I can't wait till the weather starts to warm up.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Yes that is a good way to do the PCN....I might try that..I mean PCN kills that kinds stuff so it makes since and it is cheap..

SouthernMdRocks

Pasofever said:
Yes that is a good way to do the PCN....I might try that..I mean PCN kills that kinds stuff so it makes since and it is cheap..

I used a farrier awhile back that swore the best thing for bad thrush was something you use for cows with mastitis, sp?? can't remember the name right now, damn the signs of aging! :whistle: