Question for "animal lovers"

I'm a hypocrite too.
I love to eat animals, beef, pork, fish, crabs, chicken, lamb, etc.

But, I wouldn't want to eat my dog.

It wasn't a smart question. Why would an animal lover have to be vegan? Why isn't vegetarian good enough. Dairy doesn't kill cows.

I love animals although I don't consider myself "over the top". I eat meat, mostly poultry and seafood and on a very rare occasion a steak, or pork. We are animals and are made to eat meat and vegitation. Given how are "guts" are made, mostly vegitation.

In our society it's not acceptable for animal lovers or animal haters to eat "pets". In other countries they don't bat an eye at eating, cats, dogs, or even bugs. In other countries cows are sacred.

A lot of animals eat meat, it's nature. If I was a vegetarian because I loved animals and didn't want them harmed wouldn't it make even less sense seeing as a lot of the animals I love are carnivors themselves.

:gossip:pssssttt... I heard you like pretzel dogs...

bcp

In My Opinion
I'm a hypocrite too.
I love to eat animals, beef, pork, fish, crabs, chicken, lamb, etc.

But, I wouldn't want to eat my dog.

you would only be a hypocrit if you chastised others for things like,, Oh, I dont know, having feral cats trapped and sent to the pound to get them out of your yard?
And then claiming to be an animal lover.

Im not eating my dog either, or since i dont actually eat meat, Im not eating the douglas fir out front the house.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I like animals but I wouldn't want to eat his dog either.

Used to know this guy in Hawaii whose father had a contract to supply the state penitentiary with pork.

Once a week they'd go to the dog pound and get a new supply of "pork" for the prisoners

SoMDGirl42

I am a dog lover and a hypocrite.

I eat meat :jet: I just choose not to befriend my steak before I eat it. To me that's like cannibalism.

BTW, I don't eat deer, squirrel, fish, or several other animals. Not because I think it's wrong, I just plain don't like them. :shrug: I typically stick to beef, chicken and poultry.

I do think it's how you are raised as well. Sometimes the thought of eating meat makes me want to puke. I think I would be a vegetarian, if I didn't like the taste of my steak.

bcp

In My Opinion
I am a dog lover and a hypocrite.

I eat meat :jet: I just choose not to befriend my steak before I eat it. To me that's like cannibalism.

BTW, I don't eat deer, squirrel, fish, or several other animals. Not because I think it's wrong, I just plain don't like them. :shrug: I typically stick to beef, chicken and poultry.

I do think it's how you are raised as well. Sometimes the thought of eating meat makes me want to puke. I think I would be a vegetarian, if I didn't like the taste of my steak.
being vegetarian isn't for everyone. Just trying to find something to eat on a menu is almost enough to say the hell with it.

bcp

In My Opinion
bcp, a personal question, which you don't have to answer...

Why did you go vegetarian?

Health reasons.
I don't know, Thanksgiving last year the meat just didn't appeal to me so I didn't eat it, haven't since.

I have nothing against anyone that does eat meat, I think we as humans are supposed to.
However, the doctor has pulled me off of all medications in the last few months, so it must be working for me.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Health reasons.
I don't know, Thanksgiving last year the meat just didn't appeal to me so I didn't eat it, haven't since.

I have nothing against anyone that does eat meat, I think we as humans are supposed to.
However, the doctor has pulled me off of all medications in the last few months, so it must be working for me.

Wow that's great ! How do you get the protein you need daily? (since you're straight, or so you say ......)

bcp

In My Opinion
Wow that's great ! How do you get the protein you need daily? (since you're straight, or so you say ......)

That was actually funny..
lots of foods (non meat) are loaded with protein, even peanut butter works.

Do you have any idea how many franks you would have to blow just to get the protein in a Peanut butter sandwich?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Do you have any idea how many franks you would have to blow just to get the protein in a Peanut butter sandwich?

you're such a comedian LOL :howdy:

ugotnothin

A single beef hotdog (oscar mayer) has approx 1g less of protein than 2TBS of jiff creamy peanut butter and the Premium Wieners Selects have the exact same amount. Please don't go off on facts that you don't know.

Beef by the way is not treated well.

Shooting a feral cat with a .22 is much more humane that the way meat is processed.
My family owned a cattle ranch until about 10 years ago, and I can tell you first hand, that those cows were raised and treated better than most of the family members were. Again, things that you don't know about. You read stuff in the media and take it as the truth. Are all cows treated well? No, but neither are all humans. No one said life is fair.

you would only be a hypocrit if you chastised others for things like,, Oh, I dont know, having feral cats trapped and sent to the pound to get them out of your yard?
And then claiming to be an animal lover.

I personally think that 99% of feral cats would be better off caught and euthanized. I think having giant feral colonies is cruel and unusual. The people that take ferals into their home are wonderful, but if you aren't doing that, I think they are better off being PTS. How can it be more humane to let a cat become diseased, be hit by a car, or tortured by the neighborhood kids than putting it down? Ant btw, I think catch, neuter, release programs are a joke.

But to answer your original question.

If you are not vegan, why?

Do you only love certain animals? and if so, why is it different to love the animal you love and not other animals.
For instance, how can you chastise someone for not liking cats, while you bite into a burger?

Either you love animals or you don't. Put your money where your mouth is and stop eating meat to show your love.

unless of course you are hypocrites, then by all means, kill one but save another.

I am a diehard animal lover. I always have been, and I always will be. I am not vegan because it's not the way our bodies were designed to function. Did you know that some people's bodies can't digest plant protein at all? We are omnivoes, designed to eat both plant and animal. I can show my love by buying grassfed cows and cageless chicken, but to say that I don't love animals because I keep them as part of my diet is both obnoxious and uniformed.

And btw, what kind of food do you feed your animals? Because if you love animals so much, why would you let your animals eat other animals? Isn't that being a hypocrite as well?