Reality of Gun Ownership

sweetprincess23

I agree with several posts. If someone is comfortable with using a gun and they truelly feel this is the best option, than feel free to defend your home.
I personally used the idea of a taser or mace because I personally do not think I could kill someone. I would be the idiot shaking scared and the gun would be taken from me. I would be the person getting killed with their own gun. I feel more comfortable with a taser or mace, even if it only gets me 20 seconds to run out the house.

Or... do what I do. I am friends with a very diverse set of people from business owners, lawyers, professionals and the hoodrats themselves. Because I am associates with some of the meanest and toughest people in the county, no one messes with me. Now with this said, this wont protect me from a pipe head, because someone who is high on PCP is not in the right mind. But maybe if I told them I could keep them from getting drugs they might run the other way, lol.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

And too bad the guy shouldn't have been there in first place. I'm not killing my kid. If I shoot an intruder, that didn't belong in my house in the first place, it is the intruder that killed my kid.

Hey.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
As far as I know, he didn't pull that trigger of your gun though...so I wouldn't say he forced you to do anything.

Novus Collectus

I agree with several posts. If someone is comfortable with using a gun and they truelly feel this is the best option, than feel free to defend your home.
I personally used the idea of a taser or mace because I personally do not think I could kill someone. I would be the idiot shaking scared and the gun would be taken from me. I would be the person getting killed with their own gun. I feel more comfortable with a taser or mace, even if it only gets me 20 seconds to run out the house.

Or... do what I do. I am friends with a very diverse set of people from business owners, lawyers, professionals and the hoodrats themselves. Because I am associates with some of the meanest and toughest people in the county, no one messes with me. Now with this said, this wont protect me from a pipe head, because someone who is high on PCP is not in the right mind. But maybe if I told them I could keep them from getting drugs they might run the other way, lol.
Most defensive gun uses do not involve hitting the perpetrator, so just having it so they can see it and/or firing it in the ground works too. Also, there are less than lethal rounds and guns out there. In Russia where real handguns are illegal, they use guns that are just like it, but fire a rubber bullet of sorts that hurts like a sumbich, but makes a big noise and the attacker does not know if the gun is real or not.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Now I'm curious.
What firearm(s) or other means of defense, do you folks feel are most appropriate in the majority of home defense scenarios (IE: nothing completely outrageous like the guy having a tank or something).

smcop

Now I'm curious.
What firearm(s) or other means of defense, do you folks feel are most appropriate in the majority of home defense scenarios (IE: nothing completely outrageous like the guy having a tank or something).

I would say a wheel gun. 32. 44. or 357 cal.

Novus Collectus

Now I'm curious.

All depends on the person. For some peopl,e a rifle is good, others a shotgun, but for most it would probably be a handgun. Even some air rifles are better for some people.
Of the successful home invasion attacks and ones that failed we hear about in the news, the ones that succeeded most victims did not have a gun and most that failed the victim did.
Out of all violent crime, about one third involved the criminal with a firearm and about two thirds involved some kind of deadly weapon, so for many attacks it is best to have at least the equivalent weapon.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

It all depends on the type of bullet used and the structure of the house.
Good lord, ya'll are picky.
General
average
most common

What is the best bet if someone doesn't know all of the ideas about overpenetration, recoil, accuracy, magazine size, etc? They just want to be able to buy a firearm, take it to the range weekly to get used to it, and have it in the house for self/home defense?

Flame Thrower.

Now that's what I'm talking about. :yay: No questions about how thick the walls are or anything, just get to the recommendation.

Novus Collectus

Good lord, ya'll are picky.
General
average
most common

What is the best bet if someone doesn't know all of the ideas about overpenetration, recoil, accuracy, magazine size, etc? They just want to be able to buy a firearm, take it to the range weekly to get used to it, and have it in the house for self/home defense?

Now that's what I'm talking about. :yay: No questions about how thick the walls are or anything, just get to the recommendation.
Ok, .357 Magnum revolver or a .410 shotgun or a .45 LC/.410 revolver or a .223 AR15.

The .357 can use cheap .38 special for practice and fun and needs no special knowledge on how to take apart for cleaning or complicated functions to learn. Also you can use .357 shotshell loads or frangible ammunition if you are worried about overpenetration but still want something that is likely to stop an attacker.

The .410 shotgun you can use a rifled slug which at such a high speed will definitely stop an attacker, but the soft lead slug is weak enough at that velocity to break up in the attacker or after hitting a wall maybe. The shotguns can come in simple to use and learn models.

The .45 LC/.410 revolver has two advantages. Once someone becomes familiar with their gun they can learn to use the .45 LC and they can use frangible defensive loads if they are worried about overpenetration, but the revolver has an added bonus for beginners because when using .410 shot loads in it, the shot does not have nearly the same velocity as the full sized shotgun preventing some overpenetration and the design makes the shot spread out much quicker meaning aim is not as inherent. (a normal length shotgun will not spread nearly as much)

The .223 AR 15 rifle.....some police departments have studied over penetration on drywall using certain arms and they discovered the high velocity, fast spinning, .223 caliber bullet breaks up from it's tumbling shortly after hitting drywall thereby decreasing the risk of injuring someone on the other side of the house. Also if you hit an attacker with a .223 at short distances, they are damn likely to go down.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Ok, .357 Magnum revolver or a .410 shotgun or a .45 LC/.410 revolver or a .223 AR15.

Thank you.
I figured we could throw some learning into this discussion :lol:
Personally, I can't use a handgun as I don't meet the MD age requirement for purchase, but I'm all for people who can use any of those guns picking what they feel most comfortable with :yay:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Wouldn't they have more overpenetration than you'd safely want?
Why do you choose that type of firearm?

I think he is pointing out that in general revolvers are simple machines and as a rule malfunction less than autos.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Thank you.
Personally, I can't use a handgun as I don't meet the MD age requirement for purchase, but I'm all for people who can use any of those guns picking what they feel most comfortable with :yay:

If you are truly interested in this topic, here is a good place to start reading about defensive ammo/ penetration ect...

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

PsyOps

Pixelated
Hey.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
As far as I know, he didn't pull that trigger of your gun though...so I wouldn't say he forced you to do anything.

Amazing... A guy breaks into my home is not forcing me to decide whether to defend my family or not.

:rolleyes:

Novus Collectus

Thank you.
You can own an antique handgun at any age in MD. However, you are limited to non-regulated firearms ammo.
YOu can also own a handgun with a barrel over 16 inches.

However, if you are under 18, a person can only give you an antique firearm and you probabably won't be able to find someone who would sell you one.

A cap and ball revolver usually fires a ball of lead and that generally will not penetrate as much through walls and it counts as an "antique" handgun that you can own.

If you are 18, you can buy this handgun and use it for home defense: MidwayUSA - Uberti 1858 Remington Steel Frame Black Powder Revolver 44 Caliber 5-1/2" Blue Barrel