Rescue pitbull mauls & kills 90 y/o woman

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

As I've said before, the best pitbull, is a dead pitbull. Or any other of variation of a pitbull breed. Dead, dead, dead with a bullet to the head.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How about owners of ALL dogs not be #### heads? How about all dog owners keep their dog on a leash when not inside? How about all dog owners train, work with, and socialize their dog?

I will certainly not argue with that, but the fact remains that a large bully breed can do a lot more damage than a ####zu, and some breeds are simply more prone to unpredictable aggressive behavior. A Lab or Golden isn't going to be as concerning as a Rottie or a Pit, and that's just the way it is. You can say, "Oh, that's not even a pitbull..." but that's just so much excuse-making bull####, and I have precisely zero interest in what the pro-Pit activist groups have to say about it. The people who know the dog say it's a pitbull; you, who have no firsthand experience with the situation, say it's not. Go ahead - tell me who I should believe.

Pitbulls and Rotweilers top every single dangerous dog list by any reputable source. They have the highest incident rate AND the highest damage rate. Add to that, Pits are a status symbol among a certain demographic and those people are not only not known for their responsible owner skills, but they specifically get that dog breed for its aggressive nature.

So stop it. Your argument is way too easily debunked. Be part of the solution.

warneckutz

C'mon people ... you're supposed to be at the top of the food chain ... act like it.

Oven-roasted and blind dog, you're ... somewhere down there.

warneckutz

C'mon people ... you're supposed to be at the top of the food chain ... act like it.

Oven-roasted and blind dog, you're ... somewhere down there.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

As I've said before, the best pitbull, is a dead pitbull. Or any other of variation of a pitbull breed. Dead, dead, dead with a bullet to the head.

A perfect example of someone who likely has never been around one, reads the stories in the media they hate so much, then spews this dumb ####.

I will certainly not argue with that, but the fact remains that a large bully breed can do a lot more damage than a ####zu, and some breeds are simply more prone to unpredictable aggressive behavior. A Lab or Golden isn't going to be as concerning as a Rottie or a Pit, and that's just the way it is. You can say, "Oh, that's not even a pitbull..." but that's just so much excuse-making bull####, and I have precisely zero interest in what the pro-Pit activist groups have to say about it. The people who know the dog say it's a pitbull; you, who have no firsthand experience with the situation, say it's not. Go ahead - tell me who I should believe.

Pitbulls and Rotweilers top every single dangerous dog list by any reputable source. They have the highest incident rate AND the highest damage rate. Add to that, Pits are a status symbol among a certain demographic and those people are not only not known for their responsible owner skills, but they specifically get that dog breed for its aggressive nature.

So stop it. Your argument is way too easily debunked. Be part of the solution.

Breaking News at 11, "big dogs cause more damage than little ones!" :rolleyes:

There's absolutely NO evidence to support your claim that a dog breed is any more or less prone to aggresive behavior and I'm more inclined to believe the numerous canine researchers who don't believe things like breed specific legislation works, because breed type is not a appropriate evaluator of dog aggression.

As far as the "that's not even a pit bull" thing goes, it probably doesn;t matter much to you that the media, you know, get #### right, but it matters to me and it matters to anyone who owns one and is potentially subject to having their dog taken away due to BSL created due to that very same media. This, again, came from the National Canine Research Council, not a "pro-pit group".

You misread what I said. Or completely made it up, I'm not sure, but please, please, pretty please, show me what I said this particular dog isn't a pit. I'll wait.

I have two pits, wear a tie to work, am white, own my own home, pay my bills, and don't fight my dogs. One of them came from a Florida farm where she would have been a pig hunting dog. The other came from the second largest dog fightign ring bust in US history. So don't give me any #### about being part of the solution. What are you doing to stop being a part of the problem?

Wishbone

You know the whole argument against breed characteristics is where you lose credibility.

There are breed specific characteristics in almost every breed and WHATEVER those characteristics are need to be addressed or you're asking for trouble.

My personal experience has been with German Shepherds, Collies, Huskys and Malamutes.

There are things about each of them that are a part of their instinctive behaviors that require attention.

warneckutz

You know the whole argument against breed characteristics is where you lose credibility.

There are breed specific characteristics in almost every breed and WHATEVER those characteristics are need to be addressed or you're asking for trouble.

My personal experience has been with German Shepherds, Collies, Huskys and Malamutes.

There are things about each of them that are a part of their instinctive behaviors that require attention.

Lose credibility?

An my experiences are with Pitties, Labs, GS's, Dobies, Boxers... they're all amazing breeds ... sooooo....

Wishbone

Lose credibility?

An my experiences are with Pitties, Labs, GS's, Dobies, Boxers... they're all amazing breeds ... sooooo....

I don't doubt they are. However I can tell you Shepherds and Dobermans make far better protection dogs than a Golden or Lab ever will, the Pits or Bassetts won't ever be a very good herding dogs or retrievers for waterfowl season... Mals and Huskys are great when it comes to interacting with people but if there's a small animal in sight, watch out because their predatory instincts are strong.

Breeds were designed by man to exploit certain characteristics. It's why they exist.

Why try to argue the Redwood is really a Bonsai?

warneckutz

I don't doubt they are. However I can tell you Shepherds and Dobermans make far better protection dogs than a Golden or Lab ever will, the Pits or Bassetts won't ever be a very good herding dogs or retrievers for waterfowl season... Mals and Huskys are great when it comes to interacting with people but if there's a small animal in sight, watch out because their predatory instincts are strong.

Breeds were designed by man to exploit certain characteristics. It's why they exist.

Why try to argue the Redwood is really a Bonsai?

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Mine are mostly foster failures and luckily their personalities with me and strangers are identical - They're all fun and playful without aggression - with other dogs and humans (except for the trash talkers - but I can handle those)

Wishbone

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Mine are mostly foster failures and luckily their personalities with me and strangers are identical - They're all fun and playful without aggression - with other dogs and humans (except for the trash talkers - but I can handle those)

A friend of mine had the biggest Mollie-coddle of a Rottweiler I'd ever seen, but most that I've encountered had aggressive or at least very territorial natures.

Never been a fan of them, but if I owned one, the latitude I'd give it would be closely monitored.

Chris0nllyn

From the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB)
Visual identification is not reliable. Presumed breed identification is often made by neighbors, public officials, law enforcement, reporters, etc.—not necessarily by people who work with animals—and even those professionals may not know.

Today, we know that only about 1% of the canine genome appears to be responsible for the great physical variation apparent among dog breeds. In other words, a dog’s physical appearance (phenotype) does not necessarily correspond with genetic composition (geno type). As Voith,et al. (2013) state, “A dog could genetically be 50 percent German Shepherd Dog and lack the genomic regions responsible for the German Shepherd Dog size, coat color, muzzle length and ear properties.” Dog DNA tests reveal that even professionalsexperienced at identifying dog breeds (veterinarians, dog trainers, breeders, animal control officials, shelter workers, etc.) are unable to reliably identify breeds visually. These professionals are the ones who are often responsible for making breed identifications, which are recorded into veterinary reports, pet adoption papers, bite reports, etc.

A study published in 2009 proved that visual ID was usually inaccurate compared to canine genetic testing. The breed identification assigned at adoption was compared to DNA test results for those dogs, and not surprisingly the visual ID matched the predominant breed proven in DNA analysis in only 25% of the dogs. Follow-up studies confirm that visual breed identification is highly inconsistent and inaccurate.
https%3A%2F%2Favsab.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F08%2FBreed-Specific_Legislation-download-_8-18-14.pdf

From the ASPCA:
The CDC strongly recommends against breed-specific laws in its oft-cited study of fatal dog attacks, noting that data collection related to bites by breed is fraught with potential sources of error (Sacks et al., 2000). Specifically, the authors of this and other studies cite the inherent difficulties in breed identification (especially among mixed-breed dogs) and in calculating a breed’s bite rate given the lack of consistent data on breed population and the actual number of bites occurring in a community, especially when the injury is not deemed serious enough to require treatment in an emergency room (Sacks et al., 2000; AVMA, 2001; Collier, 2006). Supporting the concern regarding identification, a recent study noted a significant discrepancy between visual determination of breed and DNA determination of breed (Voith et al., 2009).
https://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspc...position-statement-breed-specific-legislation

From the American Kennel Club (AKC):
Breed-specific legislation is any bill that seeks to ban or place severe restrictions on owners of a particular breed of dog or dogs with certain physical characteristics, regardless of whether or not the dog is a problem in the community.

Like racial profiling for dogs, BSL unfairly penalizes responsible dog owners without holding owners of truly dangerous dogs accountable. This is why the American Kennel Club, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the National Animal Control Association, the American Bar Association, and a host of other respected national organizations oppose BSL and recognize the inequities and inherent fallacies of such laws.
http://www.akc.org/content/news/articles/issue-analysis-breed-specific-legislation/

From a University of Florida study:
1. DNA analysis failed to confirm pit bull-type breeds in the pedigree in more than half of the dogs identified as pit bulls by shelter staff at the time of the study.
2. One in 5 dogs genetically identified as pit bulls were missed by shelter staff.
3. One in 2 dogs labeled pit bulls by shelter staff lacked DNA breed signatures for pit bull terrier-type breeds.
4. Lack of consistency among shelter staff in breed assignment suggests that visual identification of pit bulls is unreliable.
5. Focusing on other attributes of dogs such as personality, behavior, and history instead of breed may help predict safety of individual dogs towards people and other animals.
6. Public safety may be better preserved by recognition and mitigation of risk factors for dog attacks and on identification and management of individual dangerous dogs,
rather than on exclusion of particular breeds.
http://www.maddiesfund.org/assets/d...correct Breed Identification Study Poster.pdf

From the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT):
Studies have identified that many factors contribute to a dog’s propensity to bite rather than only the dog’s breed: intact status of the dog; exposures and early experience; socioeconomic factors of the community; and community education to name a few (Sacks, Sinclair, Gilchrist, Golab, & Lockwood, 2000; Shuler, DeBess, Lapidus, & Hedberg, 2008). The “Pit-Bull type” is particularly ambiguous as a “breed,” encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified and leaves the potential to be over-reported. Visual determination of dog breed is known to not always be reliable, and witnesses may be predisposed to a bias that assumes that a biting dog is of a particular type (Sacks, Sinclair, Gilchrist, Golab &Lockwood, 2000; Leavy & Croy, 2012).
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ccpdt.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FBreed-Specific-Legislation-Position-Statement.pdf

NCRC:
https://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/ineffective-policies/visual-breed-identification

American Bar Association: (This article discusses media bias towards pits also)
https://www.americanbar.org/newslet...zine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/pitbull.html

*Edit, sorry for the broken links, don't feel like fixing them (but let's be honest, no one is going to click them anyway)

Last edited:

warneckutz

A friend of mine had the biggest Mollie-coddle of a Rottweiler I'd ever seen, but most that I've encountered had aggressive or at least very territorial natures.

Never been a fan of them, but if I owned one, the latitude I'd give it would be closely monitored.

I totally get the monitoring point. Hell, I have a scar below my eye from a dog bite (couldn't damage these killer looks though! :wink:) ...
It was a poodle.

black dog

Free America
I totally get the monitoring point. Hell, I have a scar below my eye from a dog bite (couldn't damage these killer looks though! :wink:) ...
It was a poodle.

That killer look is caused by fetal alcohol syndrome​..
One would think with your canine knowledge you would have kept your face away from being bit... Seems you make lots of bad choices.. especially in dogs. :lmao: