Running Store

pelers

I started doing the C25K program recently for running and my shoes are awful. Reading some of the older threads on here (can't find anything in the last few years) I should hit up a specialty running store, get my feet checked out so I can buy a shoe that supports them correctly.

So are there any stores that do this (well) closer than Annapolis? I was going to make the trip up to Fleet Feet this weekend, but if there is someone closer that does a quality job I'd much rather do that instead.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Some of those Skechers Tone Ups. They are also too small =/ Kids gave me fat feet, apparently.

I haven't run in years, but always used Nike Airs. Light, but with nice arch support.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to run in Skechers.. OUCH!

pelers

I haven't run in years, but always used Nike Airs. Light, but with nice arch support.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to run in Skechers.. OUCH!

Yeah, we tried running track last night (instead of the neighborhood) and my ankles and shins are rebelling today.

Looking at the website for them:

Running in Shape-ups is not recommended.

Haha, that's what I get for grabbing whatever shoes I had laying around. It was those, the super worn out sneakers or the not-so-broken in Goretex puddle stomping sneakers.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Some of those Skechers Tone Ups. They are also too small =/ Kids gave me fat feet, apparently.

nooo you should never run in those!

Specialty running stores are a good idea if you have the time but I don't thinkt hey are neccessary. Runners all have diff ideas about what they like to run in best, and all I have talked to, myself included, found them through trial and error.

if you have a problem with shin splints, its generally better to get a more flexible shoe. Keep in mind that the more flexible ones can cause some foot pain in the beginnning esp if you are used to stiffer sole shoes day to day...thats not a problem, its adjustment. Same with hip pain, more flexible soled shoes.

pelers

Specialty running stores are a good idea if you have the time but I don't thinkt hey are neccessary. Runners all have diff ideas about what they like to run in best, and all I have talked to, myself included, found them through trial and error.

if you have a problem with shin splints, its generally better to get a more flexible shoe. Keep in mind that the more flexible ones can cause some foot pain in the beginnning esp if you are used to stiffer sole shoes day to day...thats not a problem, its adjustment. Same with hip pain, more flexible soled shoes.

Hey, I've got all day every Friday now :rolleyes: Ha. Yeah, shin splints have been a problem. Given that I have all day every Friday I was hoping to try and cut out some of the trial and error process since shoes are not cheap. :frown:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

:yeahthat:

I went through multiple brands before landing on Nike.. some I only wore one time, and knew right away..

Just like most anything, there is no "one size fits all"..

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Hey, I've got all day every Friday now :rolleyes: Ha. Yeah, shin splints have been a problem. Given that I have all day every Friday I was hoping to try and cut out some of the trial and error process since shoes are not cheap. :frown:

shin splints say to me..the sole is too rigid. I don't have a particular "brand" but I know what to look for now. Flexy soles (segmented usually) that eliminate the sin splints and hip pain. and Personally, I like a very light shoe that is mesh or mostly mesh because I hate my feet getting hot. Theres really not a whole lot more than that. The recommended shoe for me from a "foot " expert was very uncomfortable and I hated it. I thinkt he main thing is something that works in real life.

my last few pairs have been nike free runs. Ive "broken" two pairs now..they squeek awful when I walk in them..but i put a LOT of miles on them.

dont run int hose horrid shoes and ice those shins :huggy: My c25k thread is somewhere..It was the best thing I ever did. Now I run 4-6 miles regualrly several times a week...EASILY. Its comfortable, even. Stick with it!!

pelers

My c25k thread is somewhere..It was the best thing I ever did. Now I run 4-6 miles regualrly several times a week...EASILY. Its comfortable, even. Stick with it!!

We just hit week 4 yesterday. The run 3, walk 1.5, run 5... I think we'll be repeating the week a few times :killingme Of course doing it at 7pm last night was probably not brilliant. Should have done an extra day on the previous week.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We just hit week 4 yesterday. The run 3, walk 1.5, run 5... I think we'll be repeating the week a few times :killingme Of course doing it at 7pm last night was probably not brilliant. Should have done an extra day on the previous week.

week 4 was the first week I repeated :killingme but it wasn't the last.

pelers

week 4 was the first week I repeated :killingme but it wasn't the last.

Read through your C25K thread. I've actually never tried running on a treadmill, I thought it would be too much of a PITA to have to constantly adjust my speed on it rather than slowing down or speeding up as I could while "real" running. We usually run our neighborhood, which has a lot of small hills in it. Last night was our first night on a track and it just felt weird.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Read through your C25K thread. I've actually never tried running on a treadmill, I thought it would be too much of a PITA to have to constantly adjust my speed on it rather than slowing down or speeding up as I could while "real" running. We usually run our neighborhood, which has a lot of small hills in it. Last night was our first night on a track and it just felt weird.

I didn't use the treadmill unitl later weeks with longer runs, it would be way too much of a pain for the earlier ones. But I also started in winter

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I didn't use the treadmill unitl later weeks with longer runs, it would be way too much of a pain for the earlier ones. But I also started in winter

I'm doing this program as well. I do use the treadmill mainly because I cannot run in the heat. Even early summer. I seem to become overheated and end up with a throbbing headache that puts me out of commission for the rest of the day.

Jeter3000

Saucony, for me. I over pronate so I need a motion control shoe and through trial and error (and a couple of visits to the Ortho doc), this is my brand. I would never consider another brand of shoe.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Saucony, for me. I over pronate so I need a motion control shoe and through trial and error (and a couple of visits to the Ortho doc), this is my brand. I would never consider another brand of shoe.

Girl in my office loves these. She runs 5k's, half and full marathons.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

They made #1 running shoe several years back.. but I think that was when they were made in the US..

But TRY to find a shoe now that is.