Seat Belts On School Buses

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Maybe they can come up with some type of lap bar that comes down almost like a roller coaster ride. This whole idea is going to need alot of thought and effort before anything can be put in place if anything can.

Then again if there is a rollover how are the children (some as young as 4) going to be able to extricate themselves? If a 40lb 5 year old is sitting next to their 100lb 5th grade brother, will they be equally secure? Once again, do YOU want to pay for all these upgrades? I really don't need any help spending my money, I have a wife for that.:lmao:

CalifrniaDreamn

Where pray tell, is this money going to come from? To retrofit the seats with seatbelts is going to cost according to some estimates, between $1000-$7000 per bus. Then you are going to need a monitor (more money) to make sure that the kids are buckled in and to help buckle them in.

People always make this kind of remark. Many school districts are now requiring that all NEW buses have seat belts. And as for keeping the kids buckled, it's just a requirement of being on the bus. The kind of thing that can get them in trouble if it is clear they are NOT buckled.

I'm sure similar arguments were made when automobile makers were required to start putting seatbelts in cars!

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
Then again if there is a rollover how are the children (some as young as 4) going to be able to extricate themselves? If a 40lb 5 year old is sitting next to their 100lb 5th grade brother, will they be equally secure? Once again, do YOU want to pay for all these upgrades? I really don't need any help spending my money, I have a wife for that.:lmao:

If it comes to the safety of our children, sure id kick in a few extra $. Maybe they could come up with individual bar laps ? 2per seat but then theres a problem when theres an over crowded bus.

kom526

I don't care one way or the other if there are seatbelts on school busses. BUT, I do find it incredibly contradictory to have seatbelt laws in place and people melting down every single time they see a kid not belted up in their family vehicle. It is after all, about the "safety of our children". Isn't it? :shrug:

I think vehicle design plays a larger role in this debate than people are willing to admit.

I refer you to what MMDad stated:

We'd need seatbelts that fit a child from 4 to 18 years old. We'd also need an aide to belt the young ones. It can be done, but it's $$$$$.

The design of school buses is actually pretty safe as they are. The design of the seats absorb impacts, and they keep the kids compartmentalized and safe in most accidents.

If you look at crash data, it's rare that a seatbelt would have helped in a school bus crash. Most crashes are bus vs. car, and the bus wins. The bad ones are bus vs. dump truck, semi, or train, and there isn't a lot that can be done with forces that large.

As for the crash yesterday, there were two people on that bus. The one without a seatbelt was transported with minor injuries. The one with a seatbelt was flown out with serious injuries. Don't let the dramatic pictures cloud your judgement.

As for the comment that the kids should ba as safe in the bus as they are in the family minivan, once again look at crash data. Buses are already orders of magnitude safer than the minivan.
Today 10:07 AM

MMDad

Lem Putt
If it comes to the safety of our children, sure id kick in a few extra $.

I would be happy to kick in extra $$$ if data showed they'd actually be safer, and there was a real and present danger to fix.

The biggest danger to the kids isn't lack of seatbelts, it's driver error. I'd rather we work on that.

jenbengen

Watch it
Actually that's not really the issue about seatbeats on school busses. The issue is, when there's an accident and 30 kids are trapped in their seatbeats and can't get out of a flaming bus. Who's going to get all of them out? The belts can also become choking hazzards.

Exactly. This has been a long standing debate for a long time. Turns out they felt it was safer than having them on.

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
I would be happy to kick in extra $$$ if data showed they'd actually be safer, and there was a real and present danger to fix.

The biggest danger to the kids isn't lack of seatbelts, it's driver error. I'd rather we work on that.

True, and no matter how hard they try there isnt going to be a full flaw free system.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Maybe they can come up with some type of lap bar that comes down almost like a roller coaster ride. This whole idea is going to need alot of thought and effort before anything can be put in place if anything can.

This is really something that has been studied for years and the best answer they always come up with is no seatbelts. There is no safe way of getting kids off a bus when they are strapped or pinned in. The lap bar could malfunction or get damaged not allowing the driver or aid to disable it to free the kids from it.

The other side of this is liability. If a kid dies because the driver could get them off the bus the county will have a huge lawsuit. You know how that goes.

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
This is really something that has been studied for years and the best answer they always come up with is no seatbelts. There is no safe way of getting kids off a bus when they are strapped or pinned in. The lap bar could malfunction or get damaged not allowing the driver or aid to disable it to free the kids from it.

The other side of this is liability. If a kid dies because the driver could get them off the bus the county will have a huge lawsuit. You know how that goes.

Yup no matter how hard one tries there is no sure fire answer I can see that is 100% effective.

kom526

People always make this kind of remark. Many school districts are now requiring that all NEW buses have seat belts. And as for keeping the kids buckled, it's just a requirement of being on the bus. The kind of thing that can get them in trouble if it is clear they are NOT buckled.

I'm sure similar arguments were made when automobile makers were required to start putting seatbelts in cars!

If it comes to the safety of our children, sure id kick in a few extra $. Maybe they could come up with individual bar laps ? 2per seat but then theres a problem when theres an over crowded bus.

Throwing money at every perceived problem is not the solution.

Let's look at it this way: We pay for retro-fits and/or new buses with seatbelts. We hire monitors to make sure everyone is buckled in and they get to and from school safely. This is great except that the money that was supposed to buy text books, pay for extra curricular activities, hire new teachers and infrastructure etc. is now all gone. Once again I ask, where will the money come from?

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
Throwing money at every perceived problem is not the solution.

Let's look at it this way: We pay for retro-fits and/or new buses with seatbelts. We hire monitors to make sure everyone is buckled in and they get to and from school safely. This is great except that the money that was supposed to buy text books, pay for extra curricular activities, hire new teachers and infrastructure etc. is now all gone. Once again I ask, where will the money come from?

From your pic you like to golf and so do I, Ill stop golfing one day a week if it means saving one child and Im sure you would too. However I dont see anything thats a sure fire way of making it fail proof if they do Id be the first one to sign off on it.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I drove by the accidient yesterday in from of Dean Lumber and saw the damage done to the school bus. Thank God there were no children on the bus.
WHY DON"T SCHOOL BUSES HAVE SEAT BELTS? I think we should do whatever is needed to make Annapolis require children to be as safe in a school bus and they are in their family van.

Because some/most at some point will destroy them, cut them ,ect. I drove a school bus for like ever and you would not believe what kind of damage these brats can do. Whatever they can use as a cutting tool, they will use to cut the seats. To replace a seat cover with labor is around 60.00. A seatbelt is a whole lot more. Do you want to pay when your kid does this? Oh I forgot, thats right, according to most of the parents, my little baby would never do that, yea, whatever

Last edited:

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
Because some/most at some point will destroy them, cut them ,ect. I drove a school bus for like ever and you would not believe what kind of damage these brats can do. Whatever they can use as a cutting tool, theyb will use to cut the seats. To replace a seat cover with labor is around 60.00. A seatbelt is a whole lot more. Do you want to pay when your kid does this? Oh I forgot, thats right, according to most of the parents, my littgle baby would never do that. Yea, whatever.

Yeah total misbelief, yet we forget when we were children and did some dumb things without thinking. As my dad told me growing up, every action has a consequence.

kom526

From your pic you like to golf and so do I, Ill stop golfing one day a week if it means saving one child and Im sure you would too. However I dont see anything thats a sure fire way of making it fail proof if they do Id be the first one to sign off on it.

How many rounds of $47-$65 do we have to give up? What about the people who don't golf? Where or what sacrifices do they have to make to cover the bill?

If there was a way to do it safely and EFFECTIVELY without taking more money from me then I am all for it too. BUT part of that safely and effectively would depend on the ability to successfully extract and egress from a wreck situation that can be performed by children from the ages of 4-18.

Last edited:

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
How many rounds of $47-$65 do we have to give up? What about the people who don't golf? Where or what sacrifices do they have to make to cover the bill?

If there was a way to do it safely and EFFECTIVELY without taking more money from me then I am all for it too.

Hmm depends on what their addictions are (mines golfing)

kom526

According to Leeds the NSTA strongly supports three-point lap and shoulder restraints as the only means of effective and good protection. "The problem is the three-point restraint is only effective when worn properly. If students place the shoulder restraint behind their backs, the belt becomes a lap belt and ineffective," she explains. She supports her views with a study done two years ago that revealed 800 children nationwide die traveling to or from school. Teenage drivers drove 55% of the children who died. Twenty-five percent were in cars with their parents and 15% were killed on bikes or walking to or from school. "Only 5% were killed while traveling on buses. That study proves bus transportation is safe," she concludes.

puggymom

:yeahthat: