Seat Belts On School Buses

rockymavia

Layin the smackdown
According to Leeds the NSTA strongly supports three-point lap and shoulder restraints as the only means of effective and good protection. "The problem is the three-point restraint is only effective when worn properly. If students place the shoulder restraint behind their backs, the belt becomes a lap belt and ineffective," she explains. She supports her views with a study done two years ago that revealed 800 children nationwide die traveling to or from school. Teenage drivers drove 55% of the children who died. Twenty-five percent were in cars with their parents and 15% were killed on bikes or walking to or from school. "Only 5% were killed while traveling on buses. That study proves bus transportation is safe," she concludes.

Very interesting study.

C

czygvtwkr

How many kids have been killed in school bus accidents that would have been saved if they had seat belts?

If you can't answer this then your just a busy body. We had to get rid of our coffee maker at work because you could program it and it was a danger because someone might program it to come on during the weekend, again busy bodies.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But...

How many kids have been killed in school bus accidents that would have been saved if they had seat belts?

If you can't answer this then your just a busy body. We had to get rid of our coffee maker at work because you could program it and it was a danger because someone might program it to come on during the weekend, again busy bodies.

...how can you put a price on the safety of a child?

C

czygvtwkr

...how can you put a price on the safety of a child?

Where did I say anything about money, it's about people who don't really know if it would even help in a situation that might never happen who just want to feel good about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I feel...

Where did I say anything about money, it's about people who don't really know if it would even help in a situation that might never happen who just want to feel good about it.

...fairly confident that school buses loaded with kids get in accidents once in awhile. I feel fairly confident that seat belts would improve their safety in such an event. I feel fairly confident it will cost money to put seat belts on buses.

*sniff* you hate the children, don't you? You want them to get hurt, don't you?

C

czygvtwkr

...fairly confident that school buses loaded with kids get in accidents once in awhile. I feel fairly confident that seat belts would improve their safety in such an event. I feel fairly confident it will cost money to put seat belts on buses.

*sniff* you hate the children, don't you? You want them to get hurt, don't you?

Then FOR HEAVENS SAKE LETS DO SOMETHING!

sccrmommy

I'm not sure about down here, but in NY there ARE seatbelts on schoolbuses. They are rolled up into a ball and tucked under the seats. If you list the seat up the seat belts come out.

jsouthan

The flip side of that, and I think the point trying to be made by earlier comments, is how many kids would have been killed or seriously injured if they had been wearing a seatbelt. There are many 4 and 5 year olds (or even older), especially in a terrifying situation, that would not be able to operate their seatbelts properly. Given the thought of those children trapped hanging upside down or, heaven forbid, in a burning bus, I will choose to go with the low chance of being injured without wearing one. A mass casualty because panic-filled kids are all trapped in their seat belts while the bus is burning is just not a picture that I could ever live with.

calamity jane

Having driven a school bus for many years and conducted countless safety evacuation drills, I can tell you without question that in the event of a serious accident where there is danger of fire the driver will never get all the kids off. Some of them will die because they are wearing seat belts. I hope this state never puts belts in buses. If they do, that's when my kids will stop riding them.
On another topic, Calvert county does not use car seats for very small and young kids. PG county does.

devilvice

Angel
I have a comment about the bus monitor. You know, back when I was in elementary school, I think it was the 5th graders that had the opportunity to apply to become a bus monitor. The 5th grader would have to fill out an application, have good grades, show maturity, and be selected from the school officials. It doesn't cost money, it prooves the childs responsibility and they help the bus drivers with the younger ones. There were always 2 or 3 assigned to the buses and they got to wear this orange belt and cross over strap. I haven't heard of that in this county though.

jsouthan

Aside from pure logistics of getting/keeping all kids buckled, I think the major points being brought up are that:

1. The seat belts themselves may be more of a safety hazard, especially in the event of a fire or rollover accident.
2. They are very expensive to install/retrofit on buses.
3. The maintenance due to knuckle-headed kids destroying them would be tremendous.
4. The seat belts may lead to additional injuries by said knuckle-headed kids using them as weapons in various manners.

According to the study that someone mentioned earlier, of all of the fatalities across the nation (800), only 5% occurred on a school bus. That is only 40. Not that I don't think that every life is precious -- I do. However, asking me to pay millions more dollars in taxes to fund seatbelts on buses where the risk is very, very small of fatality for the 8/10 of a child that is likely to be killed in the state of Maryland this year, is just not worth it at this point. Yes, I know. Everyone wants to say, but if even one child is saved it's worth it, but there is evidence on the other side that even more children may be injured if seat belts are used. If you want to stick with that argument than all of the parents who think they are protecting their kids by driving their kids to school are actually making them less safe, according to the study mentioned, as 25% of the fatalities were caused in cars with their parents.

People have said that California has instituted seatbelts. All I have to say to that is that Maryland is getting bad enough right now, please don't start running us like California! :jameo: